Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Just fitted a Ray. Within 8 hours it had played random music and radio at full volume 3 times, once at midnight. Not using Spotify, only Apple Music. Secure WiFi connection and no issues on any of the other 4 Sonos speakers in the house (2-4 years old).

No idea what’s going on. Sent diagnostics but Sonos said any result would only be useful if submitted while the event is taking place. I can only think this is a massive bug in any new software in newer models/releases, or a massive security loophole. Product will be going back as unusable after 36 hours of random full-volume music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No idea what’s going on, you say, but still you are pointing to a massive bug or security loophole you ware the only one to notice?

Of course something could be wrong with your Ray, but you could at least give Sonos a chance to take a look at it……

So it’s interesting that this topic has been going on for 5+ years and there still is not a “fix” for it. I see that most everyone talks about Spotify being the problem. (We don’t have Spotify) Ours comes on randomly at different times of day/night. One morning there was a very nice, mostly Christian, radio station playing that I really liked so I let it continue playing wishing I knew where it was coming from so I could play it again sometime. Anyway, ours mostly plays TV when it comes on randomly. I will check our TV stations to see if I can find the movie or show it is playing but nothing matches it. I tried calling support within 10 minutes as people mentioned that but the support office listed “is currently closed” and doesn’t open for another 20 minutes. The numbers people place on here must be for another country (I live in the US) as there are not enough numbers for me to dial. Anyone else have TV come on? Have you found a solution other than Spotify? We don’t have alarms set on Sonos. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So it’s interesting that this topic has been going on for 5+ years and there still is not a “fix” for it. I see that most everyone talks about Spotify being the problem. (We don’t have Spotify) Ours comes on randomly at different times of day/night. One morning there was a very nice, mostly Christian, radio station playing that I really liked so I let it continue playing wishing I knew where it was coming from so I could play it again sometime. Anyway, ours mostly plays TV when it comes on randomly. I will check our TV stations to see if I can find the movie or show it is playing but nothing matches it. I tried calling support within 10 minutes as people mentioned that but the support office listed “is currently closed” and doesn’t open for another 20 minutes. The numbers people place on here must be for another country (I live in the US) as there are not enough numbers for me to dial. Anyone else have TV come on? Have you found a solution other than Spotify? We don’t have alarms set on Sonos. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

As has been said, right after it happens use the App to generate a diagnostic code. This will capture the data that Support can use to determine the cause. No need to call them right after it happens, but it is important to gather the diagnostic promptly.

Yours does sound like a TV-induced problem to me (eg the TV wakes up to check for a firmware update) but Sonos can tell if it is trigggered by auto-play from the diags.

kind of spooky...

Hi i am experience a similar problem a few days ago i did a couple of diagnostics 323560555 was one of them while the system was playing. it looks like it was playing sonos radio on my patio speakers

i have case # ********, however i am trying to get some feedback on which device started the music playing

Paul

Moderator edit: removed case number

Hello !

same thing happened, very spooky indeed around 3AM.

I sent a report at 8, number is 552167230.

Can someone help me out where it can came from ?

Since only Sonos employees can access the data in your diagnostic, I would recommend you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.