Skip to main content

I have a Sonos bridge that of course cannot be updated. 
I have a playbar and a Sonos 1. 
mad I cannot update the bridge, I cannot link my Alexa. 
my question is, can I just remove the bridge and reconnect the playbar and play 1 directly to the internet? 
Apologies, I’m not that tech savvy so I need simple. L

Hi.  The Bridge is still OK when you are using the Sonos S1 system.  So not sure what you mean by ‘cannot be updated’.  If you stay on S1 you can continue to use the Bridge, and you don’t appear to have any need to switch to S2.

Having said that, you can do away with the Bridge.  You can wire one of your speakers instead of the Bridge if it is convenient to do so.  Or you can switch to WiFi.  Here is how:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

I’m not sure how Alexa becomes relevant but we’ll cross that bridge (haha) when we come to it.

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. 
re Alexa. I have Spotify that I play through Alexa but I would like to play through my playbar and play 1 but can’t link it all the time the bridge is incompatible. 

as you say, let’s cross that ‘ bridge’ when we come to it. 😂

I use Alexa with my S1 Sonos setup and it has a Sonos Bridge - it works with Spotify, although I mostly use Amazon Music - just ensure you have Spotify (not free version) set as the default music service in the Amazon Alexa App and have installed the Sonos skill in the Alexa App too and scanned for devices.

You also need the same Spotify service installed in the Sonos App, logged-in with the same user credentials. 

Then create a Group in the Alexa App, set the Echo device as the group controller/enabler and add the Sonos speakers to the last section of the group - see attached ‘example’ screenshot from the Amazon Alexa App to (hopefully) help get you started.

I am wondering if you have accidentally upgraded your speakers to S2.  Which app are you using at the moment, S1 or S2?

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ll give it a try. 

That’s correct . I’ve upgraded to S2. Do I need to downgrade to S1? 

That’s correct . I’ve upgraded to S2. Do I need to downgrade to S1? 

I think you would do better to stay on S2.  But that means you need to ditch the bridge.  So…

Power off the Bridge.  If you can, recycle it rather than put it in landfill

Download the S2 controller if you haven’t already done so

Connect one of your speakers by Ethernet to your router.  Give it a few minutes and you should see both of your speakers in the S2 app.  Power them off and on again if necessary,  If no go, post back at that point.

If all OK, then leave the speaker wired if that is practical.  If it isn’t, follow the instructions for changing from a wired to a wireless system at this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb//article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup#:~:text=Open%20the%20Sonos%20S2%20app,products%20wired%20to%20your%20router.

Thanks so much John. I’ll give it a go later in the week when i find the Ethernet cable. 

I’ll let you know how it goes.