Skip to main content

Playing vinyl via Port results in very poor sound quality on Move (1950’s portable AM radio level).  Vinyl via port on the rest of my Sonos system sounds great (Amp, One, Play 1, SL).  Move quality is great with other sources. Move is not being moved when moving from say Spotify to vinyl, so not signal loss. Since quality on 9 other Sonos devices is great, it’s not a record player issue.  Software is current.  It’s done this since day one couple years ago.  Confused. 

If you change the Audio Delay to Max under the Line-In settings for the Port in the Sonos app, does it make any difference on the Move’s sound quality? Do you have the Audio Compression setting in the Sonos app set to Uncompressed?

The signal being send from the input to each speaker is the same. There should be no difference in sound quality. That suggests a couple of potential concerns to look at, but we’re guessing at this point. First, it is possible that there is a hardware fault on your Move. Playing any other stream would be a great way to tell.

Second, and much more likely, in my opinion, is indeed wifi interference of some type. 

But honestly, your best bet is to recreate this odd sounding playback, then submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Oh, one thing to note, the density of the stream from a line in is much higher than a normal stream such as a Spotify, or Amazon music. It would be much more susceptible to interference than other ‘normal’ streams. 

Thanks for that info Bruce, think I’ll try the diagnostic route.  It’s really odd, I can stand in front of the Move and toggle sources: Sonos radio - great, Vinyl via Port - lousy, Spotify - great. The rest of the Sonos products produce consistently good sound regardless of source.  Odd one.

Hard to be sure, but signs seem to be pointing at wifi interference , just enough to bother the playback of the heavier weight of the line in, but not normal streams. But, I am guessing, and the folks at Sonos should hopefully be able to see so much more in that diagnostic you submit. 

Are we sure that the Line-In signal to PORT is OK? From the problem description I’d guess that the Phono RIAA equalization is missing.

But they say it plays fine on all other speakers, just not the Move…

Oh, one thing to note, the density of the stream from a line in is much higher than a normal stream such as a Spotify, or Amazon music. 

If Line-In is set to “compressed” the bandwidth would be comparable to Spotify. TBH this doesn’t sound like a transmission/interference issue. In my experience Line-In simply drops out under such circumstances. 

Agreed, there isn’t enough information to be sure, I just wanted to cover as many ‘possibilities’, while still pushing to get a diagnostic in to Support for a better analysis. 

There is some further info here about the PS5 update:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/the-ps5-finally-has-dolby-atmos-for-gaming-heres-how-to-enable-it

Wrong thread, methinks.

Yep, ‘sorry’… (too many open browser tabs).👍