Answered

Dolby Surround broken since 14.16

• 25 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm facing big problems with dolby surround recently - it seems to be connected to the 14.16 update. My livingroom setup contains a Sonos Amp with 2 Stereo speakers connected and 2 Play:1 as surround speakers. 

Since today (apparently the auto-update ran earlier this morning) the Dolby Surround output does not work anymore. Sound is only coming through the 2 analog stereo speakers in the front. In the past 5.1 sound was distributed correctly between all speakers (as in the setup there is no "center” the center channel is divided to the two fronts)

I did a surround channel test using an XBOX Series X and could confirm that only the 2 front channels are working. When it is supposed to play the center, rear, or sub channel the speakers remain silent. This is only happening for Dolby Digital - the surround test for DTS is working as expected, all channels are active and the center channel is distributed to the two fronts.

Additionally, the S2 App shows "Dolby Digital 2.0” as input format while in the past it showed correctly “Dolby Digital 5.1” as format.

I could not find similar issues here. Am I the only one or am I missing something? Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by dnkwt 26 September 2022, 08:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Perhaps see if this link assists you to resolve the issue…

https://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-series-x/How_to_Set_Up_Surround_Sound

I`ll try that but I think it`s not related to the XBOX (or a setting there) as the problem occurs when playing movies/shows on the Apple TV as well with exactly the same symptoms.

Ensure on the Apple TV you do not have multichannel LPCM enabled by default as the Amp only has an HDMI-ARC port.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

An update to the Sonos system shoud not change the input format.

An update to the Sonos system shoud not change the input format.

I agree, it should not 😉 but that`s what happened.

However, I teared down the whole setup: Removed the surround speaker, disconnected the AMP from the TV and restarted everything. After setting up everything again in the app and adding the surround speakers again the Dolby Digital Output is working again. No change on the Xbox or Apple TV where needed. Not ideal, but at least its working again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry for the missing “l” in should. Was typing this on the train. This still seems like a TV-problem to me. You solved it by a reset - would a a reboot (of Sonos devices and TV) not have been enough?

We can’t test this anymore, because you solved you way. Good that this worked!

Wasnt about the typo - I was just amused that it should not but it did 🤣

I tried a reboot of all devices (Tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sonos Amp) with no effect. Only this full reset did the trick

Userlevel 1
Badge

Everything has broken, at least for us with full ARC home cinema setup, since the last few updates. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s a different matter (with it’s own thread).