Answered

Suddenly alexa is not working with my voice enabled Sonos Speakers S1 app

Userlevel 2

I am using the S1 app for my Sonos speakers.  Recently my voice enabled Sonos speakers are not working with Alexa.  I can control my speakers in the S1 app but not with Alexa.

When I look at the Alexa app the voice enabled Sonos speakers are showing offline.

• I have disabled and re-enabled Sonos Skill in Alexa
  • Alexa does not find any devices when I re-enabled Sonos skill in the Alexa app
  • I have removed and added Alexa voice enable to each speaker
  • I have powered off and on the speakers

Did something change?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 17:51

View original

60 replies

Mine is exactly the same, help Sonos!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gduncan3595 

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of an issue affecting functionality of Alexa on S1 Sonos systems. We are investigating, but do not have an ETA for a resolution.

You can, however, cease troubleshooting - nothing you can do will help.

We will post here when there is an update.

Same for me, je cherche depuis 4 heures !!! Je suis contente de voir ce post !! Hope it wil be fixed very very very SOON !!

Badge

Me too, it stopped working yesterday evening.

Userlevel 1
Badge

yep.  looks like Amazon change something about there Alexa API access that affects the S1 app integration.  S2 I understand is not affected. Hopefully we get a fix soon delivered by Sonos

Or a fix supplied by Amazon, since they broke it. 

Can Sonos advise when system is fixed please? I’ve spent two days trying to find a solution 

Userlevel 1

I am glad I found this thread.  I also spent (part of) two days, and several hours trying to reset devices, reset Alexa, all various different methods and ways, to no success.  I had added a new type of Alexa device and thought perhaps it was somehow related so that was a wild goose chase of wasted time as well.  ETA would be nice…, and spreading the word on twitter/x or other forums as well.

Me too it’s a shame the online chat support we’re not aware I have now spent some time re-installing!!! I will wait for a solution and go back to the rugby!

Same here - have spent a few hours trying to fix this in vain.

Its in Sonos to inform the user!

Spend hours of trying to fin a solution!

Do you think our time is free of charge?!

Total disappointed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There‘s a big red popup showing any current problem, if you visit Sonos page and also community page. 
Besides you always can check manually on…

https://status.sonos.com/?utm_source=embed

Low prio due to S1? Time to shift to Google Home?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Low prio due to S1? Time to shift to Google Home?

Why do you think the issue might have a low prio? I cross my fingers it’s a problem Sonos can fix without Amazon because imho things take more time if Amazon is involved. 

Userlevel 1

The first reports of this surfaced on 15 March. I install Sonos S1 updates manually rather than automatically, and didn’t install the current update until yesterday evening (16 March). Alexa was working fine before the update, but hasn’t worked since then.

Clearly, something in the Sonos update has broken the interface with Alexa, and it should therefore be within the capability of Sonos to roll the change back out for the time being until they can figure out exactly why it didn’t work as expected.

Sonos, please fix this! Longtime loyal customers with speakers that are only supported by S1 are struggling. 

No one rolls out API changes without notifying their users. SONOS either didn’t pay attention or didn’t test the new update. They now join the long list of people who wasted the trust of people who gave them a great deal of money in good faith for longevity. Not a big deal for them to turn out to be like everyone else, just a little disappointing.  Bought in because I thought they were better, when will I learn? 

Userlevel 1

Could Sonus please issue an email to all registered users once they have issued the fix

It’s four days now - and people are still posting asking for solutions as Sonos haven’t had the courtesy to advise customers the system is down. How do you raise a complaint directly with Sonos - cant spot a complaints procedure in the forum?

I’ve seen a notification for several days now at status.sonos.com, which also drives a pop up when coming to this forum?

Since there has been no change to Sonos’ own software, I’d imagine the fix needs to be done on Amazon’s side. Have you complained to them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sorry, just my personal thoughts… but why do people think complaining would do anything helpful to the progress. Imo Sonos knows about the priority of the issue anyway. 
And talking about loss of an essential function of the speaker doesn’t really hit it. All options like Airplay, CEC communication and also Alexa depend on external functionality too. If something is getting worse on Apples side, tv manufacturers firmware or in this case maybe also on Amazons side, it‘s not only on Sonos to fix it. 
Sometimes taking it easy will result in the same time and kind of fix. 😉

But hey… as said just my opinion. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also spent several hours troubleshooting this to no avail before i searched here to find this. prior i contacted Amazon, was on the phone for an hour, mostly on hold and they didn’t know what to do.

Please appreciate your help fixing this as the devices are what i mainly use for Sonos in the house. Any ETA would be helpful i hope they consider this a P1 incident, even though on the S1 Sonos system. Thank you. 

Badge +1

I am glad I searched here before I spent any time troubleshooting. 

Badge

I’ve seen a notification for several days now at status.sonos.com, which also drives a pop up when coming to this forum?

Since there has been no change to Sonos’ own software, I’d imagine the fix needs to be done on Amazon’s side. Have you complained to them?

Why do you say that Bruce?  The pattern of discovery from users shows that it is clearly related to a new S1 Update, in fact if you read above it says exactly that.  Had it been an Amazon issue it would have gone bang for everyone at the same time.

I had the problem occurring on my Sonos Ones before I loaded the S1 update. Friday evening 15th March working fine. Saturday morning 16th March it wouldn’t work.