Answered

Sonos Play:1 and Google Assistant

• 31 December 2017
  • 48 replies

I have Google Home and a Sonos Play:1 speaker. Sonos says that in 2018 the Sonos speakers will be compatible with Google Assistant but will that be a software change that will allow me to use my current speaker with Google Assistant or will I have to purchase a new Sonos speaker in order to be able to use the Assistant with Sonos? Does anybody know this yet?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 1 January 2018, 01:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, rhgibson. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. When we introduced Sonos One back in October, we also announced plans to integrate Google Assistant support into Sonos. Outside of the announcement, we do not have any other news to share. Stay tuned!
Okay, thank you, for your reply.
we also announced plans to integrate Google Assistant support into Sonos.
I expect that to mean that other than Sonos One, integration will still be enabled via software on all other speakers, but via Google front end devices like the Mini. Exactly as it applies to the Alexa integration.
I have just chatted with Ali at Sonos Uk Support as I had exactly the same question and below is the transcript of our conversation:

Hi, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos sales chat. How can I help you?

Hi Ali , Is there any clearer date yet when the Sonos One will support Google Home?

No, we have not been given an accurate date just yet sadly.

Still 2018 then?

yes, 2018 is all we have received from Sonos.

Will it be a hardware update or a software update than can be done over the internet to existing Sonos Ones?

it will be through a software update over the internet.

So if I buy a current model I will be able to upgrade when Google Assisant support becomes available i.e. not have to buy a new upgraded Sonos One?

Correct, you can buy a speaker now and when the update is released then you can update your speakers through the Sonos app.

Sounds good to me ...thanks!

No problem, is there anything else I can help you with? (:

Not at the moment ,,, unless you can offer me a Sonos One for £150 ;-)

aha If i had the option I wouldn't hesitate 🙂
Thanks for your reply, MikeGeo. My question though was regarding a Sonos Play:1 rather than a Sonos One. They are not the same speaker. So I'm hoping that I will be able to control my current Sonos Play:1 using my current Google Home device, only needing a software update for my Play:1 rather than having to purchase a Sonos One.
Got you, sorry for the misunderstanding! ...try chatting with Sonos Support like I did - go to https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/play1.html and in bottom LH corner of the screen an option pops up to start a chat session
Good Luck
No problem. I think I'll wait a bit to chat with them though. It seems that all anyone has to say is nothing right now. Wait for the news!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I purchased 2 Sonos One speakers and am also waiting for an update that enabled Google Assistant. Sonos please also allow Sonos speakers to be grouped with other Google Home speakers for audio playback.

For that matter...please allow Sonos One speakers to also be in a stereo pair with Sonos Play:1 speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just purchased two Sonos One speakers a few weeks ago. Pretty bummed that it's almost February and still no Google Assistant update.
So I'm hoping that I will be able to control my current Sonos Play:1 using my current Google Home device, only needing a software update for my Play:1 rather than having to purchase a Sonos One.
Yes, it will need only a software update to use the play 1 with Google Home, wirelessly, as a Dot can today in the countries where the service is available. That bit is confirmed; time table is left as vague as "2018".
Come on Sonos, pull your finger out and get the Google Assistant compatibility rolled out! I've got 4 Sonos speakers in the house and I haven't used them for months now I've started adding Google Home's... 😠
I purchased 2 Sonos One speakers and am also waiting for an update that enabled Google Assistant. Sonos please also allow Sonos speakers to be grouped with other Google Home speakers for audio playback.

I came here to ask this exact question. I have Chromecast, Google Home and Sonos throughout my house. I would love to bridge both worlds. My Sonos right now sits unused as the Google Home is so useful. And the Chromecast are hooked up to decent speakers so the ball is in your court Sonos. Do I expand my Sonos ecosystem, or do I go all Chromecast? HURRY UP!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've always thought Google Home support would be spring/summer timeframe. Being Alexa just rolled out end of last year I have always assumed google would be about 6 months behind it (which is about 2 normal development cycles for Sonos).
I recently tried the Yonomi app for making this work. It is not as good as real support but it provides some limited functionality. Give it a try. It is a good interim option.
Waiting, waiting Sonos. Google assistant compatibility is a must have if we are to purchase more units
Userlevel 1
Anxiously waiting for Google Home / assistant Integration. Alexa is weak in comparison in pretty much every way unless you shop on Amazon.
Yeah Sonos...this Google home stuff is awesome. I'd suggest ppl buy this over Sonos system as you guys don't integrate with Google home. My Sonos speakers (X3) are feeling Ike old technology. This could be the death of Sonos...hurry up.
Badge +1
Exactly as you all feel, that Google is a far better unit and Sonos jumped straight into bed with Alexa inneptica
Userlevel 1
Bought a Google Home Max instead. Not feeling like sonos is moving forward with this soon. More expensive but worth it. Sorry Sonos... your lack of Bluetooth and no Google Assistant integration has left me wanting more.
Yep, I just put my Sonos 1 and 3 to sell on eBay, I'll buy 2 home max. I'm tired of waiting.
Cannot believe that this is still not done. I am giving Sonos 1 more month to announce a date before putting all my speakers up for sale.
Sorry, Sonos never announces dates. If that is your conditional, I'm afraid you have set yourself up to have no option but to sell.
Hi jgatie, that is the power of being a consumer, if a company is not willing to stand by their product then I have the power to replace it for myself. When enough people do it and their share price and sales number drop they will wake up. Let’s not forget the bad PR this causes there is no up side for them...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They stand by their Product and they do what they say. But they have not given a release date. We speculate it will Be this summer but that is pure speculation. I don’t believe anyone here thinks it will be before then nor has Sonos given any indication it would be very soon.
I'm not sure not giving firm release dates is not standing by your product. One thing I do know, if they give a firm date before they are ready to, and then miss it because of forces beyond their control, I know the same people will be in here saying they don't stand by their product.