Use SONOS as announcement system in combination with SNOM PA1+ VoIP

• 3 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Looking for advise and/or solution to make SONOS speakers work with VoIP cloud telephony. Case is as follows: 4 SONOS speakers (ONE/Play) and cloud telephony in combination with SNOM PA1+, so it is possible to “call” the SNOM device and make an announcement. Most desired is, that during normal operation there is radio playing, when an announcement is made, there is a “ding-dong” and you can speak your frase into the telephone you have on site. How to make this work? Anyone have experience in this kind of configuration? So: Use VoIP cloud telephony in combination with announcement to SONOS speakers on site using SNOM PA1+ device. “this can do everything except making coffee” but SNOM can't help me out 😉 Advise; trail and error…. Not the way I would like to start this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos One’s and Play 1’s cannot be connected to other devices. But even with Sonos devices that have an analogue in I cannot see this is going to work.

“this can do everything except making coffee”

You will be attempting to make “coffee”.

THNX for the quick reply. The SNOM PA1+ has 1 network connection to connect for being a VoIP device. And it has a network connection for “other devices” like a IP camera (says the instruction). Can't I use this to give the SONOS speaker his networkconnection? And make it be interrupted by the SNOM device to sent it other signal? In this case you need a SNOM PA1+ device for each speaker I suppose? Or is really that “friendly” (like Apple) to do something with these things, other then “nice” background music? Pitty so.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You would do this by using a Port into a device which has the ability interupt the main audio stream, generated by the Port, and insert the Voice overlay, you would use conventional amp/speakers for playback or have a second Port and Input the Output from your paging mixer to that Port and then add SONOS Speaker/Zone Players to Port No. 2.

There used to be a third party Paging App you could use with SONOS but I don't think they ever sorted out how to restart streams across multiple Zones.

You could use the Alexa announcement feature, but I believe it will only work on Sons devices with built in mics.  In other words, not play:1s.

What are you planning on using this for?  Is there a reason you wouldn’t want to use an Alexa (cloud based) solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos have an audio-clip API that works on some devices. It handles the pause / play the clip / resume that is otherwise impossible. I am sure someone has written an app to do this.

https://developer.sonos.com/reference/control-api/audioclip/