Use SONOS as announcement system in combination with SNOM PA1+ VoIP

Looking for advise and/or solution to make SONOS speakers work with VoIP cloud telephony. Case is as follows: 4 SONOS speakers (ONE/Play) and cloud telephony in combination with SNOM PA1+, so it is possible to “call” the SNOM device and make an announcement. Most desired is, that during normal operation there is radio playing, when an announcement is made, there is a “ding-dong” and you can speak your frase into the telephone you have on site. How to make this work? Anyone have experience in this kind of configuration? So: Use VoIP cloud telephony in combination with announcement to SONOS speakers on site using SNOM PA1+ device. “this can do everything except making coffee” but SNOM can't help me out 😉 Advise; trail and error…. Not the way I would like to start this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos have an audio-clip API that works on some devices. It handles the pause / play the clip / resume that is otherwise impossible. I am sure someone has written an app to do this.

https://developer.sonos.com/reference/control-api/audioclip/

You could use the Alexa announcement feature, but I believe it will only work on Sons devices with built in mics.  In other words, not play:1s.

What are you planning on using this for?  Is there a reason you wouldn’t want to use an Alexa (cloud based) solution?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You would do this by using a Port into a device which has the ability interupt the main audio stream, generated by the Port, and insert the Voice overlay, you would use conventional amp/speakers for playback or have a second Port and Input the Output from your paging mixer to that Port and then add SONOS Speaker/Zone Players to Port No. 2.

There used to be a third party Paging App you could use with SONOS but I don't think they ever sorted out how to restart streams across multiple Zones.

THNX for the quick reply. The SNOM PA1+ has 1 network connection to connect for being a VoIP device. And it has a network connection for “other devices” like a IP camera (says the instruction). Can't I use this to give the SONOS speaker his networkconnection? And make it be interrupted by the SNOM device to sent it other signal? In this case you need a SNOM PA1+ device for each speaker I suppose? Or is really that “friendly” (like Apple) to do something with these things, other then “nice” background music? Pitty so.

“this can do everything except making coffee”

You will be attempting to make “coffee”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos One’s and Play 1’s cannot be connected to other devices. But even with Sonos devices that have an analogue in I cannot see this is going to work.