Answered

What active speakers Sonos Connect?

• 24 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Ok so I've found and bought a Sonos Connect that's compatible with S2 (serial begins with 1607).

Now to get some outdoor speakers. I don't have an existing system, so no amplifier to connect to. I want to do this on a budget at the moment so what's the best option? 

I thought I could get a pair of 'active' outdoor speakers as these have a built in amplifier. In theory they can be connected directly to the Connect right?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 January 2021, 17:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Nick Slater.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information to help.

Allow me to share with you some information from our support website about no sound from Port or Connect. The Sonos Connect does not have a built in amp to power any third-party speakers. The Sonos Connect needs to be connected to a third-party amp that you can connect your third-party speakers to generate audio as indicated in the first part of the provided link. You may also try to cross reference the Sonos Port FAQ as it is the predecessor to the Sonos Connect.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. Everybody can help you out in the community.

Thanks,

Badge +2

Yes but if the speakers are active does that not mean they have a built in amplifier a x would work with the Sonos Connect?

Maybe this could be an inexpensive option? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Nick Slater.

Thanks for the update and immediate response. If the diagram you have provided above is what you are going to use on your Sonos Connect, Yes it will definitely work. All we need to do is connect the audio out RCA port from your Sonos Connect to your Aux line in on the diagram above and it should work as the diagram already indicates that the speaker is already connected to an amp.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I’ll be here to help.

Thanks,

Now to get some outdoor speakers. I don't have an existing system, so no amplifier to connect to. I want to do this on a budget at the moment so what's the best option? 

I doubt there any genuine outdoor active speakers at any price because of the challenge to get mains power to them in all kinds of weather in a safe way. 

Badge +2

So I'm looking at getting a Fosi Audio mini amp with Bluetooth. 

I'm wondering what is the difference between AUX and PHONO input. Does it matter? One of the Fosi Audio has AUX the other PHONO. Which would be better? 

Instead of what look like cheap iffy Chinese amps, look for a better made budget stereo amp from the likes of Sony/Yamaha.

Neither of those inputs are ‘phono’ level inputs, they are both line level. Only the form factor, 3.5mm vs RCA, is different.

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You don’t have any system, or don’t have an outdoor system?  I’m powering my outdoor speakers from the Zone2 function on my indoor home theater.  That’s another option. 

If you have nothing at all, and trying to keep a budget, It’s worth a trip to a thrift store or two to look for a used receiver - most will have plenty of power for outdoor speakers.