Setup for both Home Theater and Music

• 13 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,

For a living room of about 40 m², is it possible to have a configuration that serves both for TV (Home theater) and listening to music, with 1xBeam + 1xSub + 2xSonos Five?
The both 5 will be located quite far behind the sofa.

And if you only want to listen to music (without turning on the TV), is the sound played on all of them at the same time?

Many thanks.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

If the Fives are bonded to the Beam as surrounds, the answer to both questions is yes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I don’t have 5s as rears but to get the most out of them make sure you set the surrounds to “Full” for music and increase the sound of the rears to +15.  That way the vast majority of the sound for music is coming from the 5s.  

Yes, the idea is to use Fives as surround for the Beam.

The distance between the Beam and the sofa is 2.5m, and between the sofa and the both Fives in the back is 3.6m and 4.4m 
So I will have to make a different boost setting for the Fives (if possible) ?

Userlevel 7

The distance between the Beam and the sofa is 2.5m, and between the sofa and the both Fives in the back is 3.6m and 4.4m 
So I will have to make a different boost setting for the 5 (if possible) ?

You cannot adjust the surround speakers individually. But if you run Trueplay tuning after you set everything up, it should help a little. If you are not able to run Trueplay because you don’t use an iOS device, you can adjust the Surround Distance setting and Surround Audio levels in the Sonos app. But more than likely the Five that is closer to the sofa will still sound louder than the other Five.

So I will have to make a different boost setting for the 5 (if possible) ?

You cannot adjust the surround speakers individually. But if you run Trueplay tuning after you set everything up, it should help a little. If you are not able to run Trueplay because you don’t use an iOS device, you can adjust the Surround Distance setting and Surround Audio levels in the Sonos app. But more than likely the Five that is closer to the sofa will still sound louder than the other Five.

Understood.

I’ll ask an “Apple friend” to come for a TruePlay session ;)

Many thanks for your advice :)