Answered

Symfonisk idle power consumption

• 18 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

My first post. Sonos has a page - Sonos Power Consumption While Idle, is there a similar page for the Symfonisk products?

Also does SonosNet usage have a large impact on standby consumption? I only stumbled onto SonosNet today, I wonder why Sonos/IKEA don’t promote its use?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 November 2022, 00:22

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

On the IKEA website, go to the specific SYMFONISK product page you are looking for and click on “Product details”. Then go to Assembly & documents > Other documents. The “Network Standby Consumption” for the product will be listed on this document.

You may want to ask IKEA, since they’re the manufacturer of those speakers. They merely connect to the Sonos network, but I’m relatively certain that they’re not manufactured by Sonos themselves.

Could be wrong on that, though…

Power consumption has little / nothing to do with standby consumption. Think of standby as just keeping an ear open for a signal (SonosNet, wired, or regular wifi) to power the speaker back up for full use. 

I don’t know if IKEA’s speakers use a standby mode, which may be why that’s not listed as a feature. Again, IKEA may be the best place to get that data. 

Badge +1

Thanks for the replies, it does seem somewhat inconsistent, that Sonos details Symfonisk on some pages such as - https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

but not all.

I would doubt that IKEA manufacture the Sonos section of the product, more likely they get the boards and put them in their cases, or that the Chinese manufacturer of Sonos just does the whole thing.

I have downloaded the IKEA manual PDF, it’s not too specific, Idle wired and wireless <3w, also if Sonos come up with a energy saving feature in their software, like many are asking them to do, I don’t think the IKEA PDF is likely to be updated (I could be wrong), but would think the Sonos webpage would be bang up to date. Also no mention of max power consumption (or typical consumption).

anyone already measured approx. power consumption in use vs “stand by” (not use) mode independently of declared numbers?

Badge +1

I have 4 gen 2 Symfonisk bookshelf speakers connected to one extension lead. I checked on our 238V (EU) supply. On standby 11w, usage 0 - 50% volume 20w. I didn’t turn up louder, as it was late when I tested.

It would be nice if Sonos could develop a super low standby mode (optional), perhaps reducing consumption by not looking out for commands/audio connections. Waking the speaker from sleep, by pressing one of the buttons on it. So that way you could have standard standby as default and selectable deep standby.

I would appreciate a very low standby power arrangement, but I would not appreciate being required to physically touch a speaker in order to exit this mode because speakers could be mounted on a high shelf or I might be required to walk the house and deal with each speaker individually.

Badge +20

I would appreciate a very low standby power arrangement, but I would not appreciate being required to physically touch a speaker in order to exit this mode because speakers could be mounted on a high shelf or I might be required to walk the house and deal with each speaker individually.

Bluesound added a vacation mode which works exactly like this, absolutely of no use to me but for those demanding an even lower standby mode it gives them what they want.

Badge +1

Unfortunately you have to lose some ease of use for power saving. That’s why it would have to be an optional deep standby, as it wouldn’t be practical for those persons, who for whatever reason can’t access the buttons, or those who can’t be bothered. Turning off almost everything in the speakers, radios etc to save power, means you couldn’t turn them back on the way you do from normal standby. 

Badge +1

Bluesound added a vacation mode which works exactly like this, absolutely of no use to me but for those demanding an even lower standby mode it gives them what they want.

Belly M, thanks for that info. So another company has already done this. I hope Sonos gives us this as an option. I am often away from home or sadly too busy to listen to my music, so that would come in handy. Especially as my collection is getting bigger by the day, bought 2 Symfonisk Lamps today, so now up to 14 Sonos units!