Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

Oh, should have mentioned. Gave up on wifi and hard wired in the network on a 1gbps port, fixed connection  reliability

Am I the only one that the app doesn't open? I wait and wait and wait with the logo screen and nothing happens... It is frustating

Maybe try removing/reinstalling the App. This is what I generally see with the Sonos App running on an iPhone XR - I use a WiFi-6AX mesh setup rather than SonosNet. The device WiFi connection SNR levels in the Sonos App (where available) show as 45dB or higher.

It stinks to high heaven and complete ineptitude by the CEO for not having his finger on the pulse or worse. The guys a seasoned software man, so there are no excuses. Either they knew and didn’t care or they didn’t know and are clowns! 

Oh they knew all right, but decided to go ahead anyway. And then tried to blame customers. And then laid off 100 staff whilst those responsible remain in place. A truly disgraceful organisation that doesn’t deserve to survive.

An update… I’ve not used the app itself in months.  When I want to listen to music, I use other apps that connect to the speakers, such as Apple Music, SiriusXM, etc., and have had no problems.  Once in a while when my uses the app, we still have issues.  So, I choose just not to use their app.  

An update… I’ve not used the app itself in months.  When I want to listen to music, I use other apps that connect to the speakers, such as Apple Music, SiriusXM, etc., and have had no problems.  Once in a while when my uses the app, we still have issues.  So, I choose just not to use their app.  

What are the options for android?

What are the options for android?

I’m not sure about Android, though I suppose those same apps I mentioned above are available for Android as well.  

Am I the only one that the app doesn't open? I wait and wait and wait with the logo screen and nothing happens... It is frustating

For me it does open although it takes several minutes which means i also have to keep the screen awake while Sonos is loading and i have to confirm to wait and not to close. But then it usually opens after a few minutes.

Has Patrick still got a job?

In England we would say..…

Taxi for Patrick 

I’m an Android user. The Sonos app won’t let me add any music folders to the Sonos library. Currently I use DriveSync to sync my music between Google Drive and my Android phone; then Hi-Fi Cast to cast my music from my phone to my Sonos speakers; then the Sonos app to control speaker selection, volume etc. It’s very clumsy but it’s the only way I’ve found to play my music on my Sonos speakers. I would uninstall the Sonos app from my phone and install one of the earlier versions that worked perfectly well, but Sonos won’t let me do that.

I’m an Android user. The Sonos app won’t let me add any music folders to the Sonos library. Currently I use DriveSync to sync my music between Google Drive and my Android phone; then Hi-Fi Cast to cast my music from my phone to my Sonos speakers; then the Sonos app to control speaker selection, volume etc. It’s very clumsy but it’s the only way I’ve found to play my music on my Sonos speakers. I would uninstall the Sonos app from my phone and install one of the earlier versions that worked perfectly well, but Sonos won’t let me do that.

Maybe try the iBroadcast service instead. Upload your music to their cloud servers and stream it direct to Sonos via their service that’s built into Sonos.

Maybe try the iBroadcast service in stead. Upload your music to their cloud servers and stream it direct to Sonos via their service that’s built into Sonos.

Thanks Ken. That sounds like a great idea - I’ll give it a try.

->Ken_Griffiths I’ve just been trying it out and it works fine for me. 229 files uploaded, 7554 remaining. The music that’s been uploaded to iBroadcast plays perfectly on Sonos and my original file and folder structure has been preserved intact. Happy days!

->Ken_Griffiths I’ve just been trying it out and it works fine for me. 229 files uploaded, 7554 remaining. The music that’s been uploaded to iBroadcast plays perfectly on Sonos and my original file and folder structure has been preserved intact. Happy days!

Disadvantage being, that your library is now in the cloud and not on your own NAS

Disadvantage being, that your library is now in the cloud and not on your own NAS

Disadvantage? - if nothing else it’s a full backup of the library (offsite) and available to the owner anywhere worldwide where they have internet access. I see that more as an advantage, compared to the downside …and the service works well with Sonos too. As demonstrated below using an iPad controller…

Disadvantage? - if nothing else it’s a full backup of the library (offsite) and available to the owner anywhere worldwide where they have internet access. I see that more as an advantage, compared to the downside …and the service works well with Sonos too. As demonstrated below using an iPad controller…

Yeah agree Ken it’s ok as a backup or if you are struggling with the new Sonos firmware and the various bugs and need something while Sonos gets their crap together  

But users should keep in mind that playback is limited to 128kbps on the free tier. 

Also you will get throttled by ibroadcast if you stream a lot on the free tier. 

Navigation issues plague this like all services like the inability to jump to Z in your library using alphabet links on the side  

Ibroadcast may be a work around but if you are stuck out in the sticks with crap broadband it’s a waste of time. SonoPad works if your music library is connected from a Sonos app. I use a pc to make sure the library stays connected but in the end this should never have been allowed to happen.

Ibroadcast may be a work around but if you are stuck out in the sticks with crap broadband it’s a waste of time. SonoPad works if your music library is connected from a Sonos app. I use a pc to make sure the library stays connected but in the end this should never have been allowed to happen.

Any library that is shared using SMBv2 (or higher) should work with the new Sonos App too. I have several NAS boxes and two Windows 10 PC’s and they each will work with the App.

Anyhow besides the Sonos App there’s plenty of other ways to play audio on Sonos speakers, locally held, or otherwise, as listed here…

There’s often more than one way to get the audio playing on Sonos.

Ken: 

Which do you prefer, Soro or SonoPhone?  Have SonoPhone.  Just wondering if Soro has other features making it worthwhile installing.

Navigation issues plague this like all services like the inability to jump to Z in your library using alphabet links on the side 

I mostly use the Sonos service search facility in the App - seems to work well, whether searching ALL services, a single music service, or just the local music library - as can seen here when searching my local library for Alice Cooper… (you just have to select the library or service and then carry out the search)…

Ken: 

Which do you prefer, Soro or SonoPhone?  Have SonoPhone.  Just wondering if Soro has other features making it worthwhile installing.

I use Soro mostly - it’s a powerful App for doing things like clearing all Sonos ‘room’ queues in one fell swoop, resetting all rooms to their default EQ settings, and/or enabling/disabling Home Theatre Night Sound and/or Speech Enhancement to a chosen schedule, plus a lot more besides. It’s a completely different app altogether compared to SonoPhone - so I would suggest perhaps trying both iOS Apps, because they each do different things, in completely different ways. The Soro App has some features that cannot be easily achieved with the Sonos App, or the SonoPhone App, so it really just compliments those controllers.

Ken, do you know of any services designed specifically for lovers of classical music, please? Apple Music I know, and I subscribe to it, but are there any others? It’s a niche market, because usually with a rock song, everybody wants the original and nobody wants a cover - but when it comes to Bach’s B minor Mass, for example, there is no “original” and you want to be able to choose exactly which of the 37 available versions you’re going to get. I haven’t explained that well but I hope you see what I mean.

Hi @Fat Fred, check out Qobuz; they have an outstanding catalog of classical music, all available in CD quality or better.

Ken, do you know of any services designed specifically for lovers of classical music, please? Apple Music I know, and I subscribe to it, but are there any others? It’s a niche market, because usually with a rock song, everybody wants the original and nobody wants a cover - but when it comes to Bach’s B minor Mass, for example, there is no “original” and you want to be able to choose exactly which of the 37 available versions you’re going to get. I haven’t explained that well but I hope you see what I mean.

I wouldn’t know what service to suggest to you. as I’m not heavily into classical, I guess what @press250 suggests is going to be the best option.

https://www.idagio.com/

Have not tried this one, but it is focused on classical.