Skip to main content

Today we are announcing the launch of our first-ever headphones, Sonos Ace, marking the brand’s long-awaited entry into the personal listening category. As a leading innovator in sound, Sonos is now using its renowned audio and design expertise to transform the way we listen on headphones.

The premium over-the-ear Bluetooth®️ headphones feature breathtaking lossless and spatial audio, world-class Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Aware Mode, as well as the most precise and immersive home theater experience possible using Sonos’ new TrueCinema technology. Sonos Ace will be available globally in both Black and Soft White.

Sonos Ace

Superior Sound on a Personal Level 

Artfully crafted and masterfully tuned, Sonos Ace defies expectations with a range of features that bring the best of Sonos to headphones. 

• Indulge in high-fidelity sound: Savor every second of your favorite song, podcast or friend’s phone call thanks to Sonos Ace’s two custom-designed drivers that render each frequency with impeccable precision and clarity.
  • Your own private cinema: Sonos Ace lets you enjoy a surround sound home theater experience while giving your household the gift of quiet. Instantly swap the TV audio from a compatible Sonos soundbar to Sonos Ace with just the tap of a button. Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos envelops you in dramatically detailed sound from all directions and dynamic head tracking keeps you centered in the action even if you need to grab a blanket or reach for the snack bowl. Coming later this year, Sonos’ all-new TrueCinema technology precisely maps your space then renders a complete surround sound system for a listening experience so realistic you’ll forget you’re wearing headphones.
  • Turn the world on or off: Make personal listening even more personal with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), or activate Aware mode when you want more awareness of your surroundings  - be it walking on a busy street or working in the office.

Day-long battery life and ultra-fast charge: Listen or talk for up to 30 hours with an extended, energy-efficient battery life. Ultra fast charging ensures you’ll never miss a beat - get 3 hours of battery life with a quick 3-minute charge using the included USB-C cable.

Sonos Ace Controls

Elegant Design and Long-Lasting Comfort

Sonos Ace was made to look and feel as good as it sounds. Its distinctive, slim profile beautifully blends  metal accents with a sleek matte finish, complementing any style no matter how fast trends move. 

• Endless Comfort: Sonos Ace uses lightweight, premium materials for an airy fit that gently hugs your head. Its pillowy soft memory foam interior is wrapped in vegan leather, while a custom headband and ear cups that hide the hinge create the perfect acoustic seal without catching on hair. 
  • Intuitive Design: Wearing and storing Sonos Ace is a breeze - contrasting colors inside the ear cups subtly signal which way to put the headphones on and beautifully-tactile buttons make controls easy to use while wearing them. When you’re done listening, put Sonos Ace away effortlessly thanks to its fold flat design that fits snugly in its lightweight travel case. 
  • Responsibly Made: Sonos Ace is built to last and made for daily wear. The headphones feature replaceable ear cushions, circular materials that allow us to use 17% less virgin plastic, and a 75% recycled felt travel case made from plastic bottles. Engineered to drive energy efficiency, wear detection pauses your music when you remove Sonos Ace from your ears, minimizing the need for charging. 

Sonos Ace will be available on June 5 for $449 USD (499 EUR, 449 GBP, 699 AUD). For more information, visit sonos.com, and follow along on @sonos.

So without wifi you can’t listen to Sonos Radio on the Sonos headphones.  Great job.  

This was my expectation for the product - full access to all Sonos services, radio, playlists, favourites, local library and everything else direct to the headphones when in-home. Their own private Zone, a wearable Roam. Obvious, I thought.

The TV Audio function is neat, but in no way a core requirement for me. I guess they’re following market research, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe v2

So without wifi you can’t listen to Sonos Radio on the Sonos headphones.  Great job.  

Well, Sonos radio has always required wifi.  I think Ace can get Sonos radio when bonded to an Arc, and the Arc is set to play Sonos radio.  I’m unsure about that, as Sonos is stating this feature is for TV audio, but I don’t know why it wouldn’t work for any source the Arc could play from a technical perspective.

No WiFi is a deal breaker / the idea was to have access to local music sources via app anywhere in the house and because it was WiFi - lossless 

now they say on an iPhone it’s lossless with a USB-C dongle….  Which I have for my AT-M50x and the sound will be way better - and no battery life concerns   

Sonos isn’t going to sell many of these at $450  $199 maybe

I don’t see these as compelling competition against the Sony-XM5s or the Airpodmax   I have Sony XM3s and was considering an upgrade - not now  

This was my expectation for the product - full access to all Sonos services, radio, playlists, favourites, local library and everything else direct to the headphones when in-home. Their own private Zone, a wearable Roam. Obvious, I thought.

The TV Audio function is neat, but in no way a core requirement for me. I guess they’re following market research, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe v2

Exactly, I thought it would be a Sonos speaker I could wear around the house and yard getting everything I would from a normal Sonos speaker with the added benefit of being able to move TV audio to it when I want to listen at night in a quite house.

Please sonos team, allow wifi streaming, grouping and more with the ACE. Don’t let them be the ugly duckling in our systems. The reason we asked for sonos headphones was to enable this! It’s too logical to skip this functionality, being the main selling point and value of the brand. Group from other room, listen to a turntable, listen closely to a lossless album… make this right 

Oh wow - so they aren’t even a real Sonos component and cannot listen to my Sonos system?   Please, for the love of God, stop it!

Long awaited by who?  Shareholders?  Now I know for sure ya’ll have lost the plot entirely.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I was about to order the Ace headphones but I realized they are not Wi-Fi compatible only Bluetooth. It’s a shame.

You're doing your best melvimbe but even the usual defenders appear to have have deserted (apart from a few expected ‘likes’).

Sure, some wanted headphones to be able to use to watch TV but to announce them (and force a complete mess of an App update to support them) where you need a soundbar/Arc to fully benefit from them, they're otherwise pretty much a nice set of Bluetooth headphones with no ability to properly integrate into the Sonos ecosystem - that I think most people reasonably assumed was a given - and currently look like a functionally sparse, massive, massive, fail.

Think about what most users want to do when opening up the App and want to ‘do’ with Sonos.  They can't do that with these.

I honestly feel almost no-one expected such a limited connectivity/integrated setup.  And even that limited setup isn't available at launch.  Sonos is synonymous with multi-room devices and this isn't aligned to that philosophy.

I have been waiting for these Sonos headphones for as long as the rumors have existed.  Such a disappointment.  I wanted to use them at home, with my existing Sonos ecosystem - to toggle between speakers, rooms etc. over my very sophisticated mesh WiFi network   As I understand the technical specs, they cannot be added as a “Device” like the Era 300 and confined to the limitations of Bluetooth.

Am I understanding the technical specs incorrectly?  These limitations seem to impact negatively my Victrola Stream Carbon and my music library from MacBook controller.

Hopefully, I’m wrong.  Any and all insights appreciated.

Best,

Mike 

I have been waiting for these Sonos headphones for as long as the rumors have existed.  Such a disappointment.  I wanted to use them at home, with my existing Sonos ecosystem - to toggle between speakers, rooms etc. over my very sophisticated mesh WiFi network   As I understand the technical specs, they cannot be added as a “Device” like the Era 300 and confined to the limitations of Bluetooth.

Am I understanding the technical specs incorrectly?  These limitations seem to impact negatively my Victrola Stream Carbon and my music library from MacBook controller.

Hopefully, I’m wrong.  Any and all insights appreciated.

Best,

Mike 

They are BT only.  Waste of money. 

I’ve been waiting for these to be able to use with my Turntable, but what the heck, the AMP isnt even on the roadmap for audio handoff?  I think youre missing a HUGE demographic of people that want something like this to listen to vinyl on.  You sell Vinyl kits with AMPs and 5’s and 300’s,  This should be priority! 

That’s exactly what I wanted. Super disappointed. 

Please sonos team, allow wifi streaming, grouping and more with the ACE. Don’t let them be the ugly duckling in our systems. The reason we asked for sonos headphones was to enable this! It’s too logical to skip this functionality, being the main selling point and value of the brand. Group from other room, listen to a turntable, listen closely to a lossless album… make this right 

100%

Lovely and comfy-looking headphones but I’m so disappointed by the lack of wi-fi (beyond sharing tv audio from the Arc) and Sonos multi-speaker integration, or at least a hand-off feature to swap audio from any other Sonos speaker like the Sonos Roam has. This feature was rumoured, seems only logical for a Sonos product, and would have made the Ace headphones a must-buy for me. It would be even better if Airplay 2 was incorporated, as it is on the Roam, if technically possible in the smaller form factor of headphones. If anyone from Sonos is reading, PLEASE consider multi-speaker integration for a future update/release!

A dandy set of lossy Bluetooth headphones, I’m sure. But none of the features I was hoping for are there.

• No integration with the rest of my Sonos system, which even my Roam can do. Well, could do until the irreplaceable battery died a few months after the device was out of warranty…
  • No AirPlay 2 support.
  • No ability to play lossless/hi-res streams from my iPhone or iPad, at least without a wired connection, which I’m not interested in.
  • No ability to pair with my Bluetoothless TV, despite its being connected to a Sonos Amp. And even if it could, the stream would be lossy -- not how I care to listen to the soundtracks on 4K and Blu-ray discs.

But Sonos has a solution to that last point! Just buy an Arc, which I don’t need or want (TV’s connected to an Amp connected to good external speakers) and which in Canada would push the price of the headphone close to C$2K with taxes.

Plus because the only connection is Bluetooth or wired, my phone’s battery would need more frequent charging, increasing the chances of its running out of juice and meaning it’ll need to be replaced sooner.

Had been postponing the purchase of a pair of wireless headphones for quite a while in anticipation of this release. Not going to happen now.

The Roam issue, the gawdawful “new! improved!” app and now this.

I used to be a big Sonos fan. Several friends bought Sonos products based on my recommendation. Today I find myself regretting I’m locked into this system.

You're doing your best melvimbe but even the usual defenders appear to have have deserted (apart from a few expected ‘likes’).

You can use the @ symbol if you want to call out another users attention, or at least quote them so it’s clear what you’re actually referring too.

Sure, some wanted headphones to be able to use to watch TV but to announce them (and force a complete mess of an App update to support them) where you need a soundbar/Arc to fully benefit from them, they're otherwise pretty much a nice set of Bluetooth headphones with no ability to properly integrate into the Sonos ecosystem - that I think most people reasonably assumed was a given - and currently look like a functionally sparse, massive, massive, fail.

You fit a lot into one sentence. I stated that Sonos has never been able to have a speaker be bonded into more than one room, or in a room and itself in another room.  I wondered how and if they were going to be able to accomplish that feat with the headphones, and it looks like they did not.  The chose to have Ace bonded in a home theatre rather than it’s own room, which disappointed a lot of people.  I have no doubt that a lot of people, many of them the same people, would disappointed if Ace couldn’t do TV audio.  I am not too surprised they chose TV audio.

I never said that the App isn’t a mess or that that the timing isn’t all screed up. 

Think about what most users want to do when opening up the App and want to ‘do’ with Sonos.  They can't do that with these.

I have no doubt that a lot of people want to see Ace as it’s own zone, the same way a lot of people want the Ace for TV audio.  Those that are unhappy are typically more vocal than those that are happy, and as I said earlier, many would complain either way.  Heck, there are folks on S1 and/or have no interest in headphones are here to complain.

I honestly feel almost no-one expected such a limited connectivity/integrated setup.  And even that limited setup isn't available at launch.  Sonos is synonymous with multi-room devices and this isn't aligned to that philosophy.

I actually did expect limited functionality. The signs were all there.  The headphones were rumored for a long time, with nothing to show for.  We know the release date was delayed. They had to have many features that no other Sonos product has in order to compete. ANC,, Aware (maybe could have skipped that one), head tracking, wearable/comfort, taking phone calls etc. Perhaps all in the smallest for factor(Roam might be smaller?)  Am I surprised that the headphones aren’t there own room and connect to a home theatre?  No, not really.  I would have liked to have seen it, but I am not surprised.

They won’t connect to your existing Sonos system for listening to music at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 WTF!?

And watching films with them only works if you have an Arc, not a Beam or Ray by the looks of it. So they’re just Bluetooth headphones. I’ll stick to my Sony mdr1000x’s. At least their app works. 

So you’ve made everyone update to an app they don’t want, that doesn’t work properly, stops you from even listening to your own local music on the hardware you own in your own home without an internet connection, all for headphone features for headphone you can’t integrate with the rest of your Sonos system. Great work execs. Those poor devs, really feel for them. 

The best part is that the new update broke the ability to control your 3rd party connected subwoofer to your Sonos Amp. You can't turn it on/off, no sub Volume control, phase control, or anything. I've seen Sonos acknowledge other app issues especially during their AMA but absolutely no acknowledgment of this issue that practically makes my Sonos Amp useless when it comes to subwoofer control. 

Sonos released the new app update today 80.01.11 stating subwoofer controls have been fixed but it's still broken.

Hard to be excited about new headphones while actively watching my Sonos Amp functionality breaking overnight and will be approaching almost 1 month of this before we know it.

I’ve been googling launch date of sonos headphones for years as this is something I would certainly use a lot. The reason is that my music listening ecosystem is primarily based on my extensive collection of audio files paired with sonos, not streaming services. And for years I’ve been pining for the ability to feed a sonos music queue into headphones instead of (or in addition to) speakers, either to avoid disturbing others or because I want that on-ear fidelity that speakers can’t deliver. Would love the ability to start listening on speakers, then switch to headphones, or vise versa. 

So imagine my disappointment to learn that the Sonos Ace headphones won’t even play music from my Sonos queue. That was the precise killer feature I was after. Now that they are finally released I see that they are just high quality bluetooth headphones in a crowded field of high quality bluetooth headphones. They look like they sound great. But I already have quality bluetooth headphones for streaming music from my phone and not sure I need to pluck down $449 for another pair. I would immediately order them if they truly integrated with the sonos ecosystem. 

Are there any plans to give Ace headphones access to the Sonos wifi network and queues and playlists in the future? When that feature is available I will immediately purchase a pair.

Is there a technical reason why the audio swap feature can only work with soundbars, or is it technically possible that support could come to other Sonos speakers in the future (even if no commitment could be made now)? I noticed speculation earlier in the thread that it might relate to the method by which soundbars link to surround speakers and subs, which other speakers don’t possess. But would be nice if someone from Sonos could comment. 

As others have mentioned it would be good if we could audio swap other speakers in order to pipe system aux input into the headphones.

Could someone from Sonos say something about battery replacement?

I assume the battery won’t be user replaceable, but will there be a battery replacement service whereby Sonos would replace the battery for a fee? Or in a few years time once you are no longer happy with battery life will the only option be to buy a new unit? 

Just wanted to join in on the disappointment. It is mind boggling how Sonos have self destructed their own brand and major selling point. Sonos has been equal to multi room audio. The system that every other multiroom system is mimicking. From now on you will have to ask in the store, or read the small text in the product specification “Is this Sonos product capable of multi room functionality?”. It’s like if you were to ask, wait, “Do these Rollerblades have wheels in line?”, or “does this FedEx envelope work to FedEx (sending) things in? Or is it just for storing?”. 

/A daily user of Sonos products in the last 12 years.  Was waiting for the headphones. Now I will choose to stick with my existing bluetooth ones. This is crazy (in the Sonos universe at least).

Just been reading that when linked to Arc, and you run TruePlay, the sound profile of the headphones will try to replicate the room sound, so wearing the head phones will sound similar to not wearing them, if I understand this correctly.

I’m wondering once this TruePlay is done, is this sound profile only when linked to Arc, or can you use another source from your phone, eg watch netflix on your phone/table,  and it will sound like you are in the room?

when will there be support to the beam 2?

They look fantastic!

I am very disappointed that I can’t stream music directly from my NAS to the these headphones. Who thought leaving this feature off was a good idea?! 

I cancelled my preorder as soon as I discovered this. 

Just been reading that when linked to Arc, and you run TruePlay, the sound profile of the headphones will try to replicate the room sound, so wearing the head phones will sound similar to not wearing them, if I understand this correctly.

I’m wondering once this TruePlay is done, is this sound profile only when linked to Arc, or can you use another source from your phone, eg watch netflix on your phone/table,  and it will sound like you are in the room?

That's not how I was interpreting  True Cinema to work exactly. As I understand it, using the trueplay data and the mics on the headphones, Ace would determine where you are located in the room relative to where the TV is (or ARC, more accurately) and then adjust the audio so that sounds are coming from the right direction.  Personally. I am kind of skeptical that the feature works well and had a noticeable impact on audio experience.  It's not like I listen to TV with headphones much to tell the difference anyway.  

But given that, I don't see how True Cinema would function when using bluetooth audio.  There's no way to tell where the corresponding screen is, where the audio should come from.  Obviously, won't even know whether you are playing music or watching a video.  I am not sure the heading tracking tech works in this context either.