News

The long-awaited first headphones: Sonos Ace

Related products: Hardware News
The long-awaited first headphones: Sonos Ace

Today we are announcing the launch of our first-ever headphones, Sonos Ace, marking the brand’s long-awaited entry into the personal listening category. As a leading innovator in sound, Sonos is now using its renowned audio and design expertise to transform the way we listen on headphones.

The premium over-the-ear Bluetooth®️ headphones feature breathtaking lossless and spatial audio, world-class Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Aware Mode, as well as the most precise and immersive home theater experience possible using Sonos’ new TrueCinema technology. Sonos Ace will be available globally in both Black and Soft White.

Sonos Ace

Superior Sound on a Personal Level 

Artfully crafted and masterfully tuned, Sonos Ace defies expectations with a range of features that bring the best of Sonos to headphones. 

• Indulge in high-fidelity sound: Savor every second of your favorite song, podcast or friend’s phone call thanks to Sonos Ace’s two custom-designed drivers that render each frequency with impeccable precision and clarity.
  • Your own private cinema: Sonos Ace lets you enjoy a surround sound home theater experience while giving your household the gift of quiet. Instantly swap the TV audio from a compatible Sonos soundbar to Sonos Ace with just the tap of a button. Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos envelops you in dramatically detailed sound from all directions and dynamic head tracking keeps you centered in the action even if you need to grab a blanket or reach for the snack bowl. Coming later this year, Sonos’ all-new TrueCinema technology precisely maps your space then renders a complete surround sound system for a listening experience so realistic you’ll forget you’re wearing headphones.
  • Turn the world on or off: Make personal listening even more personal with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), or activate Aware mode when you want more awareness of your surroundings  - be it walking on a busy street or working in the office.

Day-long battery life and ultra-fast charge: Listen or talk for up to 30 hours with an extended, energy-efficient battery life. Ultra fast charging ensures you’ll never miss a beat - get 3 hours of battery life with a quick 3-minute charge using the included USB-C cable.

Sonos Ace Controls

Elegant Design and Long-Lasting Comfort

Sonos Ace was made to look and feel as good as it sounds. Its distinctive, slim profile beautifully blends  metal accents with a sleek matte finish, complementing any style no matter how fast trends move. 

• Endless Comfort: Sonos Ace uses lightweight, premium materials for an airy fit that gently hugs your head. Its pillowy soft memory foam interior is wrapped in vegan leather, while a custom headband and ear cups that hide the hinge create the perfect acoustic seal without catching on hair. 
  • Intuitive Design: Wearing and storing Sonos Ace is a breeze - contrasting colors inside the ear cups subtly signal which way to put the headphones on and beautifully-tactile buttons make controls easy to use while wearing them. When you’re done listening, put Sonos Ace away effortlessly thanks to its fold flat design that fits snugly in its lightweight travel case. 
  • Responsibly Made: Sonos Ace is built to last and made for daily wear. The headphones feature replaceable ear cushions, circular materials that allow us to use 17% less virgin plastic, and a 75% recycled felt travel case made from plastic bottles. Engineered to drive energy efficiency, wear detection pauses your music when you remove Sonos Ace from your ears, minimizing the need for charging. 

Sonos Ace will be available on June 5 for $449 USD (499 EUR, 449 GBP, 699 AUD). For more information, visit sonos.com, and follow along on @sonos.

I’m not considering buying these until you fix your dumpster fire app. 

Why would anyone buy these when the underlying app is feature lacking and bug-ridden?

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/21/24160772/sonos-ace-headphones-hands-on-preview

The app fiasco gets mentioned, as it should, I wonder how it will impact the reviews as they get published. 

They look fantastic! But...

I won’t be buying them until Sonos either resolve their appalling new app’s problems or return the old app to its loyal customers (though I realise that might exclude the Ace headphones, I want my local library back!).

Join me - boycott the headphones.

Will they work with Sonos amp like they do with Soundbars?  

probably a better question is will I even be able to add them to my system or will I be stuck due to one of the many bugs. Not risking it until the app is fixed. 

Can the headphones be used to take calls when connected to a phone via bluetooth? 

No Wifi? 
That’s gonna be a no for me, dawg. You are really dropping the ball hard, Sonos.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Hi @melvimbe 

Can the headphones be used to take calls when connected to a phone via bluetooth? 

Yes!

They won’t connect to your existing Sonos system for listening to music at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 WTF!?

And watching films with them only works if you have an Arc, not a Beam or Ray by the looks of it. So they’re just Bluetooth headphones. I’ll stick to my Sony mdr1000x’s. At least their app works. 

So you’ve made everyone update to an app they don’t want, that doesn’t work properly, stops you from even listening to your own local music on the hardware you own in your own home without an internet connection, all for headphone features for headphone you can’t integrate with the rest of your Sonos system. Great work execs. Those poor devs, really feel for them. 

probably a better question is will I even be able to add them to my system or will I be stuck due to one of the many bugs. Not risking it until the app is fixed. 

No judging by the FAQS on the headphone page. Arc or Bluetooth only, unless you want to use a wire. 

Hi @Bumper 

No, they will not be able to play audio from Amps.

They will work without setting up first - they will connect via Bluetooth straight out of the box, so no app needed! Setting up in the app allows EQ adjustment and Home Theatre audio playback with supported Sonos sound-bars, plus other features.

Hi @melvimbe 

Yes!

I just saw that in the product detail page.  While I know that it’s not the most high tech feature you could want, perhaps the most important feature to me.

What is the mechanism to switch between bluetooth sources?  Could it possibly hold  or more connections at the same time and switch between them?  I am doubtful of this, but would be useful to switch between a computer/laptop and phone with the push of a button.

They won’t connect to your existing Sonos system for listening to music at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 WTF!?

And watching films with them only works if you have an Arc, not a Beam or Ray by the looks of it. So they’re just Bluetooth headphones. I’ll stick to my Sony mdr1000x’s. At least their app works. 

OMG I didn’t really notice that they didn’t mention that these would work as a zone player. Just assumed yes as that’s like the main reason for these for me. That along with seamless integration with my Amp for video watching.

Hi @melvimbe 

Yes!

I just saw that in the product detail page.  While I know that it’s not the most high tech feature you could want, perhaps the most important feature to me.

What is the mechanism to switch between bluetooth sources?  Could it possibly hold  or more connections at the same time and switch between them?  I am doubtful of this, but would be useful to switch between a computer/laptop and phone with the push of a button.

I need to read more before I ask any more questions. But switching between bluetooth sources is very nice.

Hi @Bumper 

They will work without setting up first - they will connect via Bluetooth straight out of the box, so no app needed! Setting up in the app allows EQ adjustment and Home Theatre audio playback with supported Sonos sound-bars, plus other features.

That’s really unfortunate that they won’t work with the amp. I guess it’s too old now?

I assumed that these would work as a regular zone player. I guess these are regular bluetooth headphones that can connect to an Arc.

No Wifi? 
That’s gonna be a no for me, dawg. You are really dropping the ball hard, Sonos.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I believe they play over wifi when connected to Arc. Can anyone else confirm?

Hi @Bumper 

That’s really unfortunate that they won’t work with the amp. I guess it’s too old now?

I assumed that these would work as a regular zone player. I guess these are regular bluetooth headphones that can connect to an Arc.

The connection to the Arc is via WiFi, and it sounds like the connection is a bonding pretty similar to adding surround speakers or a subwoofer.  That would explain why they are not setup as their own zone, and I assume, you can’t  just go to the other side of the house due to 5 Ghz limits, and you can’t easily switch between one Arc room to a different Arc room.

I’ve read in other news articles that the other Sonos soundbars (Beam, Beam 2, and Ray) will be added later for home cinema.

Hi @Bumper 

Yeah. I’m guessing they have no wifi in them so the Arc must do the audio processing and send it via wifi to your phone, then via Bluetooth to the headphones. Hence the need for the new app. 

I don’t use headphones for any thing, but even to me what is being said of what these will do for surround sound is interesting, especially what is said will come later. If true, these should be as effective as sound bars are not for surround/Atmos, the latter being compromised versions of wired HT with speakers above and behind the viewer. With headphones that compromise can be made to disappear, if done right.

The question is will these work directly with an Apple TV or an Amazon Fire Cube, or is the presence of a Sonos soundbar a prerequisite, and if so, only some models? Will someone that has just a TV being supplied by a video streamer be able to use these for surround sound? I suspect not.

Then there is the alphabet soup of AV formats that this has to negotiate.

What’s the competition for the surround sound for movies thing?

When the headphones are bonded to an Arc, will they be able to play audio that the Arc zone/room is playing regardless of source?  I understand that they will play TV source, but if you are playing audio from a streaming source, aux input in another zone (turntable), or local library, will the headphones play that audio?

If the headphones are playing audio, will the Arc and bonded speakers be able to play audio as well?

I see that Sonos is selling a bundled pair of headphones.  Can 2 headphones be bonded to the same Arc?

Hi @Bumper 

So, in effect they are really just fancy expensive Bluetooth cans?  Not a player?   Errr, no thanks, then. 🎧😒

Hi All

Thanks all for your continued engagement and feedback around the new app. Yes, we have removed replies from this announcement topic of Sonos Ace, to allow people to discuss just that, The Sonos Ace, in this particular topic. If you want to discuss the New Sonos App, please feel free to join in on any of the topics that are currently ongoing and that we are monitoring for feedback, just like we do here.

There are many, many topics about the new Sonos app - if you want to talk about that, please feel free to post to any of those threads - your feedback will be heard, even if not replied to.

All posts relating to moderator actions on the forum will be removed - from any thread!

Please see our Terms and Conditions if you are in any doubt on why posts may be removed

Thanks.

Yeah. I’m guessing they have no wifi in them so the Arc must do the audio processing and send it via wifi to your phone, then via Bluetooth to the headphones. Hence the need for the new app. 

I don’t think that’s the case.  I say that because I’ve seen reports that battery life is reduced when playing audio through an Arc due to WiFi power drain.

That said, I have seen that the connection to the Arc is only currently available through iOS, which would make sense if the phone was involved in the connection.  It would also explain why the headphones can’t be setup as their own zone. 

Hi Kumar

The question is will these work directly with an Apple TV or an Amazon Fire Cube, or is the presence of a Sonos soundbar a prerequisite, and if so, only some models? Will someone that has just a TV being supplied by a video streamer be able to use these for surround sound? I suspect not.

A compatible Sonos soundbar will be a prerequisite, yes.

Hi @melvimbe  

When the headphones are bonded to an Arc, will they be able to play audio that the Arc zone/room is playing regardless of source?  I understand that they will play TV source, but if you are playing audio from a streaming source, aux input in another zone (turntable), or local library, will the headphones play that audio?

The linked-to soundbar must be actively playing the source for Ace to play too.

If the headphones are playing audio, will the Arc and bonded speakers be able to play audio as well?

Only if Ace is playing from a Bluetooth source. If playing Arc’s audio, Arc will not play too.

I see that Sonos is selling a bundled pair of headphones.  Can 2 headphones be bonded to the same Arc?

No. We’ve conducted user research and learned the most common use case for wearing headphones with a home theater is for viewing content alone, so you don’t disturb others in your household. We’ll continue to learn how customers are using Sonos Ace and explore additional features over time.