Introducing Era 300

Related products: Hardware News
Introducing Era 300

Hi all,

Today we introduce Era 300: an unmatched spatial audio experience with Dolby Atmos for listeners and creators alike.

Era 300

Unprecedented for a single compact speaker, Era 300 boasts six powerful drivers that direct sound left, right, forward and upward, delivering a breakthrough audio performance featuring Dolby Atmos that places listeners at the very heart of their movies and music.

• Designed for spatial: Era 300 wraps its beautifully complex acoustic architecture in an elegantly cinched hourglass design, with every angle, proportion and perforation enhancing the direction and dispersion of sound to truly surround you.

• Surreal surround sound: Era 300 is the brand’s first speaker that delivers multi-channel surround sound when used as home theater rears. Movie fans can pair two speakers with Arc or Beam (Gen 2) to create a supercharged Dolby Atmos experience that draws them deeper into the action.

• Deep music industry collaboration: Sonos worked closely with its community of leading artists and creators - including Sonos Soundboard members - to meticulously fine-tune Era 300 so listeners can enjoy sound straight from the studio that’s true to the artist’s intent. 

Era 300 from the back

Premium, responsible design that keeps everyone in mind

Building on Sonos’s timeless acoustic-driven design aesthetic, Era 100 and Era 300 are responsive to the challenges facing our environment—and better for everyone who interacts with our designs, featuring a bold new UI and innovations that will help them last longer, use less energy and make use of recycled materials in each product. 

• More sustainable sound: Era 100 and Era 300 are made with post consumer recycled (PCR) plastic and packaged in 100% sustainably sourced paper, while also engineered to reduce power consumption with under two watts idle power consumption and a new advanced sleep function.

• Built to last: Designed to live in your home for years, both speakers are built for serviceability by reducing the use of adhesives and transitioning to screws for easy disassembly and repair.

• Bold, new UI: Era 100 and Era 300 feature an intuitive new user interface, including a new capacitive volume slider for simple control that complements quick and private control of your music with Sonos Voice Control, the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth®️.

• Upgraded connectivity: Stream all the audio you care about using WiFi or Bluetooth, and directly connect other audio devices such as a turntable using an auxiliary cable and the Sonos Line-In Adapter.

• Expanding Trueplay to more listeners: Using the microphone array in Era 100 and Era 300, Trueplay optimizes the sound for the unique acoustics of your space with just a tap in the Sonos app. Available to both Android and iOS users.

Era 300 will be available for pre-order on sonos.com today, and globally starting March 28 2023 for $449USD, £449, €499 and $749 AUS. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read the full press release for Era 100 and Era 300 here.

When the Era 300s are used as surrounds with the Arc or Beam (Gen 2), is it considered a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 setup? What specific channels do the side-firing drivers of the Era 300 play when playing a 7.1 or 5.1 audio track?

When the Era 300s are used as surrounds with the Arc or Beam (Gen 2), is it considered a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 setup? What specific channels do the side-firing drivers of the Era 300 play when playing a 7.1 or 5.1 audio track?

Also interested in this.

7.1.4 according to https://www.theverge.com/23627044/sonos-era-300-100-announced-price-features-hands-on

“…the two Era 300s in back each output standard rear channels (four and five) and work together on expanded left and right (6 and 7). The four height channels are a combination of the Arc and 300s. Combine all that with the Sub, and that’s how you come out with 7.1.4 Atmos.”

7.1.4 according to https://www.theverge.com/23627044/sonos-era-300-100-announced-price-features-hands-on

“…the two Era 300s in back each output standard rear channels (four and five) and work together on expanded left and right (6 and 7). The four height channels are a combination of the Arc and 300s. Combine all that with the Sub, and that’s how you come out with 7.1.4 Atmos.”

Arst Technica also confirms. Happy to finally see upward firing surround speakers! I hope we get reviews soon.

Doesn’t really matter but there’s a small typo in the announcement post, seems like it’s $20 cheaper than on sonos.com

Is there any guidance on placement regarding Atmos with the Era 300s? I’m debating wall mounts vs stands. Walls are about six feet behind the couch - would that be too far for Atmos to be effective for mounted era 300s? 8.5 ft ceilings if that factors in at all

Wow $428 CAD after taxes for a pair of stands. This is ridiculous.

This is about the specs that I was expecting in given the links.  I was hoping to see a set of 2 Era 300s and a Sub mini, but don’t see it.  I would assume these can be bonded as a room?   It’s the sub mini perhaps not fit for atmos audio?

So does this mean the two side-firing drivers on the surround speaker will both play the side surround channel of a 7.1 audio track? And on a 5.1 audio track, the front and side-firing drivers will all play the rear surround channel?

Also, I’m still reading some reports that when the 300s are used with the Beam, it is still only a 5.1.4 setup.

This is about the specs that I was expecting in given the links.  I was hoping to see a set of 2 Era 300s and a Sub mini, but don’t see it.  I would assume these can be bonded as a room?   It’s the sub mini perhaps not fit for atmos audio?

I’d assume so. In the FAQ, it states “Era 300 has great bass on its own. For a richer, more powerful sound experience, we recommend pairing Era 300 with Sub (any generation).

What is the price of this cool device?

So does this mean the two side-firing drivers on the surround speaker will both play the side surround channel of a 7.1 audio track? And on a 5.1 audio track, the front and side-firing drivers will all play the rear surround channel?

Also, I’m still reading some reports that when the 300s are used with the Beam, it is still only a 5.1.4 setup.

IMO, and it’s just that, I’m not going to get to hung up on the volume of channels per se.  If your source is stereo, you get 2 stereo.  If you get a source in surround sound, you get 5.1(or 2 with 2 subs) audio.  If you get a source with atmos, them  the Arc or Beam is going to use the meta data to send audio to the appropriate speaker to give the most accurate location for the sound.  Obviously, using an Arc + E300s + sub(s) will do a better job of that then Beam +E300s + sub(s), regardless of whether you call it 7.1.4 or 5.1.4.  And of course, all the different  variations of a home theatre setup, and your room acoustics, will have an impact as well.

I’d assume so. In the FAQ, it states “Era 300 has great bass on its own. For a richer, more powerful sound experience, we recommend pairing Era 300 with Sub (any generation).

Yes, I saw that, but I didn’t know if sub mini is considered a generation of the sub.  In technical terms, it’s not.  As well, a recommendation doesn’t say whether a sub mini can be bonded to the Era 300.  My plan is to use the Era 300s as stereo pair for atmos music, and much prefer the mini for music since it’s sealed, rather than ported like the full sub.

What is the price of this cool device?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/era-300 in US.

I don‘t like the design of Era 300 as surround speakers - they are to big imho. For many other use cases they will be fantastic for sure.

I was waiting for upfiring-rear speakers with the design like the Era 100… 

Sub not Sub Mini. Semantics but important nonetheless.

I don‘t like the design of Era 300 as surround speakers - they are to big imho. For many other use cases they will be fantastic for sure.

I was waiting for upfiring-rear speakers with the design like the Era 100… 

It’s been said by those who have seen the device in person that marketing images have it appear bigger than it actually is.   Might be good to measure it out in the space you want to see how it looks.  However, you do also need to consider that it needs extra space to the sides and above.

Sub not Sub Mini. Semantics but important nonetheless.

That’s why I said assume so, as Sub is not Sub Mini.

Sonos are recommending the Era 300s to be used with the Sub, but they can probably be used with the Sub Mini.

And the answer is YES anyway.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/sonos-products-that-support-sub-mini

Is it Roon Ready? 

Thanks for looking this up.  Didn’t think to look there.

Looking on a post on Reddit it seems these new speakers won't work on Sonosnet like the portable ones. That could be an issue for some? 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

Looking on a post on Reddit it seems these new speakers won't work on Sonosnet like the portable ones. That could be an issue for some? 

That’s amazing and I assume a big surprise to most - many who will have just assumed it would work on Sonosnet.  The main reason given for Roam and Move not supporting Sonosnet was they could move around and make hard work of keeping the mesh stable.

I really wonder what the reasoning is for these?  Sure, we know WiFi in general is getting better and better but there are still many who prefer Sonosnet and quite a few issues even now are caused by speakers starting to connect to WiFi that you don’t want to - because the system then knows WiFi credentials.

That’s amazing and I assume a big surprise to most - many who will have just assumed it would work on Sonosnet.  The main reason given for Roam and Move not supporting Sonosnet was they could move around and make hard work of keeping the mesh stable.

I really wonder what the reasoning is for these?  Sure, we know WiFi in general is getting better and better but there are still many who prefer Sonosnet and quite a few issues even now are caused by speakers starting to connect to WiFi that you don’t want to - because the system then knows WiFi credentials.

I agree and I'm surprised, but that link to the Sonos page seems to suggest they won't work on Sonosnet. I have a boost for my non portable speakers and it has definitely helped in my home. 

I don’t think it merely suggest they won’t work, it literally states they’re not compatible with it.

• Era 100
  • Era 300
  • Move
  • Roam
  • Roam SL

It even says, in the ‘Wired setup’ section that that setup  “means it’s possible for Sonos to operate in a room that is beyond the reach of your WiFi.”.  By definition they’re saying you can’t use these speakers out of range of your router.  Reality is you can - but not without complicating your network setup somewhat - and maybe moving into supposed non-supported setups.

Thank you @sjw That is definitely a negative for me. I hadn't imagined for one minute that the Eras would not support sonosnet.

So if you have two Era 300’s paired with a sub for a really nice Atmos listening experience and you are streaming the same music to other non spatial audio enabled Sonos zones at the same time does the signal just revert to stereo for the zones that can’t handle it?