Sonos system and samsung freestyle

Hi all

I have bought a Samsung freestyle to replace my TV and at this moment I still can not use it with my sons system. 

Here is what I have: 2 one sl, move, roar and beam. As previously in another conversation I have linked the Samsung with the roar by Bluetooth but it works 1 time every 10. And each time I have to pair again, switch off 10 times and sometimes I give up because it does not work.

So the Samsung is connected to the roar but there is no sound but in the app I can pause the video (it makes no sense to me) . For the moment I can not use anymore my sonos system when I am watching Netflix or Prime. It is a pity for a system that cost me more than 1000€.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andreea

20 replies

What is a roar?

I’m assuming the ‘freestyle’ is a TV of some type, it should be connected to the Beam via ARC (an HDMI cable)

I would think you would group your other speakers with the Beam, but they would be delayed, but the Beam and surround speakers (the two Sonos One SLs) would be in sync, just the grouped rooms would be delayed by 75ms. 

Userlevel 7

@Dea16 I’m assuming since the Freestyle is a projector, you are connecting it using Bluetooth to the Roam so you can share the Bluetooth audio with the rest of your Sonos speakers. And the reason why you don’t want to connect the Beam to the Freestyle using the HDMI ARC port is because you don’t want to run an HDMI cable across the room from the Freestyle to the Beam. Is this correct?

If you want a more reliable connection and user-friendly setup that will give you higher quality audio, you should consider connecting the Beam to the HDMI port on the Freestyle. If you set up the One SLs as surrounds with the Beam, this will give you a great 5.0 home theater setup that will allow you to play 5.1 audio from Netflix and Prime Video. A Bluetooth connection is limited to stereo audio only and has obviously been a frustrating set up for you.

But as @Airgetlam mentioned above, grouping the Roam or Move with this Beam/One SL setup will result in an audio delay when playing TV audio. So it is best to use the Roam and Move elsewhere.

Hi GuitarSuperstar. 

It is not possible to connect the beam to the freestyle by hdmi because the freestyle has not an arc hdmi so it does not work, I tried. 

I have connected the roam to the projector but I have no sound coming from the roam speaker. For some reason it worked 2 times, I even succeed to share with the beam, it was great. But now impossible to have a sound when actually I did not change anything.

For the moment I only have the sound coming from the freestyle itself, no sonos speaker works. 

I really do not understand where the problem is coming from. On the sonos app it says I am connected to the freestyle projector but no sound. Why?

Thanks

What is a roar?

I’m assuming the ‘freestyle’ is a TV of some type, it should be connected to the Beam via ARC (an HDMI cable)

I would think you would group your other speakers with the Beam, but they would be delayed, but the Beam and surround speakers (the two Sonos One SLs) would be in sync, just the grouped rooms would be delayed by 75ms. 

Roam i wanted to say but the phone change it, lol. The freesty is a Samsung projector without arc connection. 

@Dea16 I’m assuming since the Freestyle is a projector, you are connecting it using Bluetooth to the Roam so you can share the Bluetooth audio with the rest of your Sonos speakers. And the reason why you don’t want to connect the Beam to the Freestyle using the HDMI ARC port is because you don’t want to run an HDMI cable across the room from the Freestyle to the Beam. Is this correct?

If you want a more reliable connection and user-friendly setup that will give you higher quality audio, you should consider connecting the Beam to the HDMI port on the Freestyle. If you set up the One SLs as surrounds with the Beam, this will give you a great 5.0 home theater setup that will allow you to play 5.1 audio from Netflix and Prime Video. A Bluetooth connection is limited to stereo audio only and has obviously been a frustrating set up for you.

But as @Airgetlam mentioned above, grouping the Roam or Move with this Beam/One SL setup will result in an audio delay when playing TV audio. So it is best to use the Roam and Move elsewhere.

Hi GuitarSuperstar. 

It is not possible to connect the beam to the freestyle by hdmi because the freestyle has not an arc hdmi so it does not work, I tried. 

I have connected the roam to the projector but I have no sound coming from the roam speaker. For some reason it worked 2 times, I even succeed to share with the beam, it was great. But now impossible to have a sound when actually I did not change anything.

For the moment I only have the sound coming from the freestyle itself, no sonos speaker works. 

I really do not understand where the problem is coming from. On the sonos app it says I am connected to the freestyle projector but no sound. Why?

Thanks

So, you’re only ever going to be able to get a stereo signal from the Bluetooth connection. No real point in having the surrounds connected to the Beam, unless you switch gears and use an HDMI switch that has an optical out, and connect that to the Sonos adapter that then feeds the Beam. 

I’d be curious about what sort of Bluetooth is used by the Freestyle, and if it matches the version in use by the Roam. For troubleshooting purposes, I’d ignore everything other than the Freestyle and the Roam, ungrouping all ‘rooms’ until you can get the Roam playing. Once that’s resolved, most everything else would fall in line.

I’d be very tempted to power cycle both the Roam and the Freestyle, and then set up the Bluetooth connection between the two of them. 

Not sure how the Sonos controller can ‘know’ anything about the Freestyle. It should only be telling you that the Roam is connected to the Sonos system. What it is connected to via Bluetooth wouldn’t show up. 

Userlevel 7

According to this video, the Freestyle is equipped with HDMI ARC/eARC. Is your model different?

According to this video, the Freestyle is equipped with HDMI ARC/eARC. Is your model different?

Hi. 

I tried with hdmi cable the first time when I bought it and never had any sound. What he is showing in the video for me is grey and not available. 

The cable should be a special one? When I try to connect the TV on the beam with the app it says no cable arc detected.

I switched off and nothing happened. Do  I do something wrong?

Thanks

Ok i have contacted samsung and connected with the cable but still no sound. 

The freestyle is connected to the beam but there is no sound. The freestyle is taking eArc but the beam only Arc. Is there a difference and for that reason is not working?

Should I do something on the app for the beam to work?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7

Disconnect the Beam from the Freestyle. In the Freestyle settings, go to Settings > All Settings > Connection > External Device Manager > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and set this to ON. Under Sound > Expert Settings, set HDMI-eARC Mode to ON and Digital Output Audio Format to Auto. Then run TV Setup under the Beam’s settings in the Sonos app. Follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the HDMI port on the Freestyle using the Sonos supplied HDMI cable. If this still doesn’t work, check the Sound Output setting and make sure you select the Beam  from the list of devices and not the “Projector Speaker”.

Disconnect the Beam from the Freestyle. In the Freestyle settings, go to Settings > All Settings > Connection > External Device Manager > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and set this to ON. Under Sound > Expert Settings, set HDMI-eARC Mode to ON and Digital Output Audio Format to Auto. Then run TV Setup under the Beam’s settings in the Sonos app. Follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the HDMI port on the Freestyle using the Sonos supplied HDMI cable. If this still doesn’t work, check the Sound Output setting and make sure you select the Beam  from the list of devices and not the “Projector Speaker”.

Hi

I did all of that and in the app sonos when I run the TV configuration it still says he does not detect any arc cable. 

On the freestyle I am connected on the beam for the sound. Still no sound, 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Userlevel 7

Try the same process but keep HDMI-eARC Mode set to OFF.

Do you have anything else connected to the Freestyle?

Hdri eArc there are 2 options, off or auto. None of them are working.

Nothing else is connected to the freestyle. Could it be the cable? Should I have a special cable?

Userlevel 7

Nothing else is connected to the freestyle. Could it be the cable? Should I have a special cable?

The HDMI cable that came with the Beam should work. But it wouldn’t hurt to try a different cable.

One other thing to try is disconnect the Freestyle from the Beam and unplug both devices from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep them disconnected. Then repeat the setup process I posted above.

The HDMI cable that came with the Beam should work. But it wouldn’t hurt to try a different cable.

One other thing to try is disconnect the Freestyle from the Beam and unplug both devices from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep them disconnected. Then repeat the setup process I posted above.

Oh my god it worked🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳. I changed the cable by the one provided by the beam and switch off for 5 min and it worked.

Many many thanks for your help and patience. 

Sorry if the question that I am about to ask is more related to the Samsung Freestyle rather than the Sonos Beam.

I have an Xbox which is connected to the projector, how can I connect the Sonos Beam in this scenario?

Userlevel 7

Sorry if the question that I am about to ask is more related to the Samsung Freestyle rather than the Sonos Beam.

I have an Xbox which is connected to the projector, how can I connect the Sonos Beam in this scenario?

Since the Freestyle only has one HDMI port, you need to use a device like the HDFury Arcana that will allow you to connect both the Beam and the Xbox to the projector.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Hi. 

I tried with hdmi cable the first time when I bought it and never had any sound. What he is showing in the video for me is grey and not available. 

The cable should be a special one? When I try to connect the TV on the beam with the app it says no cable arc detected.

I switched off and nothing happened. Do  I do something wrong?

Thanks

I have the same issue. ARC is shaded grey in the settings so cannot enable it so HDMI cable wont work despite samsung claiming it’s has ARC capabilities

Oh my god it worked🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳. I changed the cable by the one provided by the beam and switch off for 5 min and it worked.

Many many thanks for your help and patience. 

Hi. I have the exact same issue but the cable provided with the beam does not have a micro HDMI to connect to the frestyle so i need to use another cable. And for me all the steps above did not work :-(

Bonjour,

Concernant le port gris il se peut que vous ayez la version précédente du produit à vérifier avec le numéro de série.

Ensuite, je vous invite à tester votre configuration avec deux câble de deux fournisseurs différents.

Toujours vérifier que vous avez la dernière mise à jour pour le produit.

Si vous souhaitez bénéficier d’un son stéréo il faudra passer par une enceinte portable sonos comme antenne relais, très facile d’utilisation dans l’application.

Si vous souhaitez bénéficier de votre installation complète il faudra connecter votre installation via HDMI.

Basic Son 5.1 = HDMI normal

Dobly ? … = HDMI eArc

Il existe des produits qui envoient l’image HDMI sans fil pour information. Le gros avantage c’est que nous perdons pas trop en qualité car le produit est seulement FULL HD. Perte proche de zéro sauf pour des produits 4K.

Je vous invite à opter pour un produit HDMI sans fil standard avec un adaptateur micro HDMI cela vous coûtera moins chère.

Personnellement je suis de chaîne sur Internet Française avec des sous-titres : PP World et AV concept products.

lors d’une présentation produit ou d’une installation il vous montre les solutions adaptées pour profiter au maximum de votre produit.

Je pense qu’un produit standard soit fera largement le travail.

Je vous souhaite une excellente journée

Le M