Answered

Sonos Move 2 compatibility with video projector

• 18 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I have a video projector (Optoma UHD38) connected by an HDMI cable to my internet box (Freebox Revolution).

I would like to be able to broadcast the sound coming from the video projector directly to the Sonos Move 2.

Do you know if this is possible? Is there a solution using the bluetooth option on the Sonos Move 2 by chance?

I am open to all types of configurations and solutions that would allow me to do this.

Thank you in advance for your help

Nicolas.

PS : and below a rear view of my Optoma UHD38

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 November 2023, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you want to use Bluetooth, as mentioned in your post, you would need to attach a Bluetooth TX to the Optical-out port and pair that with your Move 2 speaker - it maybe okay, but it’s a case of trying it and see if it works well for you.

The good news is you can go onto feed the BT stereo/mono audio-in into any Sonos product (in same Sonos Household) whilst on the same WiFi network. 

Note: the Move 2 also has an analog line-in option aswell (using a Sonos audio dongle), but I would not personally recommend using that with the projectors 3.5mm audio-out, as that would result in an audio buffer delay of at least ~75ms and may (likely) cause you lip-sync issues with any video on screen. 

So Bluetooth is ‘possibly’ one way to go, but it might present some reliability issues, or occasional drifting out of sync, but worth a try if you don’t want to spend too much money to get the audio into the Sonos eco-system.

Personally speaking however, I would have looked at adding a Sonos Soundbar, or Amp, instead, as those products can accept an optical connection (with or without an Optical adapter - depending on the chosen product), but it does of course mean a greater financial outlay, but it’s a much better, more-reliable A/V option.

Note that the Move is not designed to be a ‘home theater’ connected speaker. I’d second @Ken_Griffiths recommendation for one of the Sonos products that are designed for that kind of use. 

Userlevel 1

Hello @Ken_Griffiths and @Airgetlam,

Thanks a lot for your responds and advices.

I saw this information in which Sonos seems to indicate that is possible to send audio from a videoprojector to Sonos Move 2, thanks Bluetooth.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwImRRDI9ju/

I'm not looking for the ideal audio configuration to watch video content, so for now, upgrade my system with another Sonos models is not expected.

I will try Bluetooth TX option for now.

Thanks again !