Skip to main content
Question

Play 1

• 22 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Why is so difficult to connect a Play 1 to a new wifi router?  I have spent a lifetime working in IT and this must be one of my worst experiences.    I can connect with a network cable but when I try to manage the network to set up wifi I get an error message “no products found”!  I might as well be talking to a brick. 

I have spent several hours reading and following guides on both the Sonos site and this community without success.  The setup guide on the sonos site for a Play 1 does not work, perhaps the person who produced it should actually try to use it.  It does not offer any further help other than to look on the community site.

I also own a BlueSound system with 3 components, which is several years older, but took only minutes to connect to the new router.  The Sonos uk support is impossible to contact - wait time 106 minutes - really?.  No email contact.  It seems that Sonos are only interested in their  new products and do not support older products - less than 4years?.  Lots of postings on the community site about this problem. Based on this very poor support experience I will not purchase any more Sonos products.

5 replies

How did you acquire the Play:1?  If you bought it used, it may have been out of use so long that the firmware is too out of date to add the standard way.  If so, you need to contact Sonos and have them push an update to the unit.  You can then proceed with setup. 

Why is so difficult to connect a Play 1 to a new wifi router?  I have spent a lifetime working in IT and this must be one of my worst experiences.    I can connect with a network cable but when I try to manage the network to set up wifi I get an error message “no products found”!  I might as well be talking to a brick. 

I have spent several hours reading and following guides on both the Sonos site and this community without success.  The setup guide on the sonos site for a Play 1 does not work, perhaps the person who produced it should actually try to use it.  It does not offer any further help other than to look on the community site.

I also own a BlueSound system with 3 components, which is several years older, but took only minutes to connect to the new router.  The Sonos uk support is impossible to contact - wait time 106 minutes - really?.  No email contact.  It seems that Sonos are only interested in their  new products and do not support older products - less than 4years?.  Lots of postings on the community site about this problem. Based on this very poor support experience I will not purchase any more Sonos products.

If this play1 was successfully working on your old network, you can change your 2.4ghz ssid to the same name and password as the old one, your play1 may connect to it.

Otherwise you have to factory reset it to connect to a new wifi network unfortunately. See here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Thank you both for the replies.  The Sonos was purchased new and both the app and the player already have the latest updates.  I have already done a factory reset 3 times attempting to get it to work, changing the router name may impact other devices, should not be necessary and will not work now that I have done a factory reset.  The play 1 is a consumer device that should be easy to set up and use.  It is neither and compared to my BlueOS system it is a complete dog.  Sonos should be ashamed that they are unable to produce software to make it easy to set up and use the Play 1 or provide support for the product.

Userlevel 2

This could all be related to the problem with the new app! I’ve had my Sonos system for a couple years now, but the new app is horrendous. Most of the time, it tells me “no products found” - and then it’ll randomly start working eventually.

Hi SteveLiley.  Thank you for the reply.  I think that you may be correct in that assumption.  At one point during my various attempts to get it working the app did find the Play 1 but then insisted on running an update before it would proceed.  After that it never found the play 1 on wireless again.  It will connect if plugged into a network cable, but that is not an option for general use around the home.  I cannot understand why sonos think that it is acceptable for a consumer product to require a factory reset simply to change to a different wifi.  I have worked many years in IT and have had to follow complex procedures to reset or connect various products, that is an unfortunate trait of many commercial systems, but it should not be necessary in a consumer product which is intended for non IT people. 

I am glad that your sonos has finally started working.  

I may try again soon, but at the moment I am considering putting it in the bin and never buying sonos again.