Random 1 sec audio drop when playing Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4K

• 29 April 2023
  • 72 replies

Badge

Hi. I've seen some people describing loud sound pop and Audio loss when playing Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4K and Sonos Arc. I don't experience loud pop, but I do experience Audio loss for approx. 1 second at random places when watching content with Dolby Atmos.

My setup in short is: Apple TV 4K -> [Belkin High-Speed 4K/8K cable] -> Samsung QE75 [eArc] <- [Sonos cable] Sonos Arc (WiFi: One + One SL + Sub )

I've been in contact with Sonos support Norway, and we've done some troubleshooting, but we haven't found a solution yet.

My observations so far:

• Sound drops out for 1 second when playing content with Dolby Atmos from tv, HBO Max or Netflix from Apple TV 4K.
  • Sound does NOT drop out when playing content with Dolby Atmos from tv, HBO Max or Netflix directly from Samsung TV.
  • Once Dolby Atmos sound completely disappeared when I was watching a movie with Dolby Atmos. Every content I played from Apple TV with Dolby Atmos consistently had no sound. Tried tv, HBO Max, Netflix and demo video on Dolby Summit. Got sound back when playing content with 5.1. If I went to Apple TV > Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format > Immersive Audio > and turned off Dolby Atmos, I got the sound back on the content where Dolby Atmos didn't work. I switched back and forth on this several times. If I turned on Dolby Atmos, the sound disappeared again. I didn't get sound with Dolby Atmos until I restarted Apple TV. Diagnosis number from when this happened: 518945904.
  • Still, the sound drops out for 1 second randomly when I watch content with Dolby Atmos, e.g. The Last of Us on HBO Max. Sometimes 19 minutes into the episode. Other times 26 minutes or 50 minutes into an episode.
  • I've recorded an audio clip where you can hear the sound dropping out for 1 second. It happens very quickly, but is very annoying.
  • I don't know if it has any correlation, but I have a feeling it happens when there is a sudden change in the sound image, e.g. going from silence to music or talking.
  • I haven't noticed songs with Dolby Atmos dropping out when playing from Apple Music or TIDAL.
  • Sonos asked me to remove the Ethernet cable from the Arc. I have also tried with the Ethernet Cable out and turning off WiFi on the Arc. No difference. Audio drop still there. As i write this Arc is connected with Ethernet.

Some recent diagnostics (04.29.23):

My Apple TV 4K:

(3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Ethernet. A2843 (128 GB). tvOS 16.5. Resolution 2160p UHD - 60Hz HDR10 4:2:0.

My Video and Audio settings on Apple TV 4K:

Video:

• Format: 4K HDR (HDR10+)
  • Use HDR+: Enabled
  • Chroma: 4:2:0
  • Match content: Off
  • HDMI Connection: Good. (Apple TV 4K is connected to HDMI (not e-Arc port) Samsung with a Belkin UltraHD High-Speed 8K/4K 2m HDMI cable)

Audio:

• Audio Output: TV Speakers
  • Audio Format: Auto, Atmos Available
  • Reduce Loud Noise Sounds: Off
  • Audio Mode: Auto

Calibration:

Wireless Audio Sync - not used

My Samsung 75-inch TV:

Model code: QE75Q80TATXXC

Software Version: T-NKMDEUC-2401.1, B0052220/B60202, BT - S

Sound settings:

Sound Output: Receiver (HDMI-eARC)
HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto (only Auto or Off)
Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-through
Digital Output Audio Delay: 100 (default)
Dolby Atmos Compatibility: Turned on

Sonos Arc is connected to the eARC port on the Samsung with the HDMI cable that came with the Arc.

I also have a PS5 connected to the TV.

My Sonos setup for surround

About My System:

Sonos Arc:
Living Room Status: Connected
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.27.1.8-2.2
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 10.0.0.3
Audio In: Dolby Atmos
WM: 0 (currently connected with Ethernet)

Arc settings:

EQ: Bass and Treble at 0. Loudness On.

Trueplay: On

Surround Audio: TV level: 0. Music Level: -4. Music Playback: Ambient.

Spatial Music: On

Home Theater:

TV Autoplay: On

Ungroup on Autoplay: On

TV Dialog Sync: 0 (default)

Group Audio Overlay: Low (default)

The Arc is connected to:

Sonos One: Living Room (LS)
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.2
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 10.0.0.12
WM: 1 (not possible with Ethernet in my current setup)

Sonos One SL: Living Room (RS)

Sonos OS: S2 Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)

Hardware Version: 1.26.2.3-2.2

Series ID: A300

IP Address: 10.0.0.9

WM: 1 (not possible with Ethernet in my current setup)

Sub: Sub

Hardware Version: 1.32.1.4-2.2

Series ID: A200

IP Address: 10.0.0.10

WM: 1

I have seven other Sonos speakers placed in other rooms in my apartment, but the surround setup above are the only selected speakers in the app when the sound drops.

Sonos system settings:

Audio Compression: Automatic

Network: SonosNet Channel 1

I hope Sonos support and the Sonos Community find something useful from this!

72 replies

Badge

Had to remove the HDFury Arcana, wife did not like the delays/black screens so back to the dropouts now.

The delays and black screen might be due to the HDMI switch. I suggest you get an HDFURY VRRoom that combines an Arcana 2 with HDMI switch and everything will work fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have now fitted an Orei HDA-935 all working perfectly now, no sound dropouts and no delays/black screens so the wife is happy as am I.

Badge

I have now fitted an Orei HDA-935 all working perfectly now, no sound dropouts and no delays/black screens so the wife is happy as am I.

can you please remind me which TV are you using? And are you using a combo of  HDFury Arcana (or Arcana 2?) and Orei? I assume that in your setting you do not have devices (like PS5) that benefit from VRR and similar features.

thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

can you please remind me which TV are you using? And are you using a combo of  HDFury Arcana (or Arcana 2?) and Orei? I assume that in your setting you do not have devices (like PS5) that benefit from VRR and similar features.

thank you

I am using a Samsung Q80T, Apple TV 4K 3rd gen, Xbox Series X and the Orei HDA-935.

I have connected the ATV and the XSX (VRR and ALLM enabled) to the Orei this then connects to the Beam and the TV.

No HDFury Arcana fitted anymore as this was causing black screens and delays when switching from SDR to HDR content on the ATV. 

The Orei HDA-935 does not have the black screen and delays when switching from SDR to HDR content on the ATV and I now just switch on the device I want to use and the Orei auto switches to that and away we go.

Badge

Thank you - I have a Samsung Q90T

to which TV HDMI port is the Orei connected to? The HDMI 2.1 one?

I think you miss VRR with this solution and for sure 120hz on the game console. Is that correct?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes port 4 the HDMI 2.1 one, I have set the XSX to 60hz and to be honest have not noticed any difference when gaming and the VRR and HDR are showing on my game picture mode.

I have same issue.

Using Apple TV 4K 3gen + Sonos beam 2 - dropping sound for 1 sec in random situation. Tested on Netflix in various settings.

when disconnecting Sonos and play sound from my LG OLED C3 - then everything is fine. No problems.

is there any solution for this ?

thank you

Badge

The solution is something like the HdFury Arcana, VRRoom, Orei or Ezcoo switches with hdmi passthrough.

Spending extra money for this ? Its ridiculous…. Cheaper is unplug Sonos and listen Apple TV direct form tv….🤣

I thinks that’s any solution with settings after so long time. Strange. 😡

Badge

It depends on what system you have. In my case I have a Sonos 7.1.4 and the only way to get that is via an external hdmi source. Internal apps would get downscaled to 5.1.2.

other solutions is to avoid systems (like Apple TV 4K or PS5) that use Dolby Mat and use instead a Fire TV Stick 4k, which I personally dislike.

if you have an audio system < 5.1.2 then internal TV apps are totally fine.

I have only beam 2 + lg oled c3 + Apple TV 4K 3gen.

mostly use tv app but sometimes I must using ATV, 

And….

i like atv , I like controll through apple tv

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Disable frame matching on the Apple TV. On some TVs this will cause audio/video drift over time, which will cause occasional audible glitches when the TV tries to re-sync them.

Badge

Unfortunately the above solution (out matching frame rate to off) did not solve.

i have the same issue with PS5 and not just Apple TV 4K.

it is either an audio passthrough issue or most likely a Sonos Arc one or both.

Disable frame matching on the Apple TV. On some TVs this will cause audio/video drift over time, which will cause occasional audible glitches when the TV tries to re-sync them.

Fors what I tested. Not working.

im just change atmos to 5.1 in Apple TV and looks that it’s working. 
A bit of a shame that it doesn't work, Dolby Atmos provides noticeably better sound, but it’s better than got nothing.

but for real… Sonos should shame itself that have big issue. Especially since they aspire to a brand like Apple… 

Badge

I have this issue also, not sure who's to blame apple or Sonos , I use the ezcoo between atv 4k 3rd gen and Sony 900e , with arc/sub/sl1 setup. only drops audio with Apple TV  not with fire stick ,atv uses mat or multichannel pcm for Atmos that does sound better to my ears. fire stick  uses dolby digital , the glitch has to be mat or multi channel pcm support from either or both.only happens with Atmos content.

For me replacing hdmi to new 2.1 120Hz/4k , eARC, -  solved problem (between tv and atv). It unexpected, but working. Old cable was good too, but it seem not too good.

without any special devices.

just Lg oled c3, Apple TV 4K 3gen, and Sonos beam 2. 
no random interruptions in sound in Atmos or any other contents.

Badge

Which cable did you use to solve the matter? I am using a Belkin HDMI 2.1 Ultra High Speed certified.

Cheap short 1 meter cable from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CQ58FBJ7

Few series and movies watched, zero problems as before.

😃

Badge

Did you have an audio drop for 1 second before? The C3 should not have such an issue, while Samsung TVs do

Did you have an audio drop for 1 second before? The C3 should not have such an issue, while Samsung TVs do

Yes. Random at Dolby Atmos content. Especially in Netflix on Apple TV 4K 3gen.

Exactly like in first post in this thread.

Badge

Will try the same cable as you. I have the same issue on both ATV4k and PS5

Badge

I need the device to create the earc port ,old 900 e is only arc, going to try my blu ray player to see if issue persists, might change input to tv from arc port to the other enhanced hdmi port, otherwise I recommend the ezcoo as a more affordable device than the arcana and way better than orei to create an earc hdmi for Sonos using an older tv…..