Random 1 sec audio drop when playing Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4K

Show first post

72 replies

Same issue with Atmos movies even when audio on Apple TV has been switched to 5.1. This is super frustrating, any updates about this recently!?

Same issue with Atmos movies even when audio on Apple TV has been switched to 5.1. This is super frustrating, any updates about this recently!?

Quick addition - maybe this is just an Apple TV movie issue? I never encounter this watching movies through Amazon Prime, Disney +, or Netflix apps on Apple TV. But I don’t know if all those apps use Dolby Atmos either? Either way, it makes watching movies with Dolby Atmos through Apple TV impossible with this setup. Again, I even switched audio output to 5.1 and it still happens. And for me, it’s easily a second of lost sound every few seconds 🤦‍♂️

Badge

I have the same problem when playing Atmos; technical support acknowledged this issue but doesn’t provide solutions. Can’t a class-action lawsuit be filed? They are selling a defective product without disclosing it.

Just chiming in here after a couple of hours of troubleshooting Atmos content and finding this forum thread. It’s a shame that I have to recommend all my friends to NOT go the Sonos route if they are into Atmos. 

Again, just adding my voice to this thread. I’m also using Apple TV and Sonos and experiencing the audio drop outs. Have had to switch to 5.1 for it to work, but super frustrating given I invested in the Sonos kit specifically for Atmos, 

Anyone tested if 15.10 did address this problem (if it’s related to the popping sound some users have experienced)?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

15.10 does not fix the issue, sadly I am still suffering the drop outs

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Finger crossed that this will be fixed. As the popping issues are sorted hopefully this can be next.

I have the same issue with beam gen 2 and any source of atmos signal. Short audio drop outs happen only when playing atmos content from apple tv 4k, ps5 or pc.

Since Sonos has stated that the last release fixed the known issue, I’d suggest you’re experiencing something else, and should submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

This issue seems to only be affecting Samsung TV, specifically when playing certain content from ATV.

Badge

It’s happening on my LG tv too

What did Sonos Support say, when you called them?

It’s happening on my LG tv too

What TV model do you have?

I am facing the same issue, my apple 4k connected to Samsung 2021 model and the arc is connected to earc of tv. Please post if someone finds a solution. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No solution just the same ongoing issue which I have had all the time of owning the Beam gen 2 purchased shortly after the release. So I have been waiting a long time for a fix. 

Badge
Same problem without solution, I even contacted the CEO but he told me that I just have to wait (I've been there for 1 year).
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Lol telling people they have to wait, after the popping fiasco you would think they would want to get this sorted as well. Classic case of we have your money so why should we rush to fix things. I have been waiting for over 2 years for this to be fixed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

15.11 now available will test this later, hopefully it has the fix finally, but I wont hold my breath

Well that’s a no then

Diagnostics submitted 

Userlevel 2

I'm having the exact same issue. Samsung TV, Apple TV and Sonos Beam. Only happens when Atmos is enabled.

Badge

Might be unrelated, but I also see audio stuttering ONLY on Atmos 4K discs playing through my LG C2 and Sonos Ultimate Immersive setup. 

There must be some glitch with playing Atmos tracks.

I haven’t verified whether 15.11 solves it yet.

L15.11 didn’t solve the problem for me. 

According to Reddit posts the problem is Dolby MAT

The Apple TV sends out Atmos via Dolby MAT encapsulated in LPCM some TVs have a problem passing this through. Until recently the Apple TV and some Blu-ray players were the only devices using this method and with the Blu-ray players you can change from PCM to bitstream in the settings. Now more devices are using Dolby MAT and Rtings tests for LPCM and Dolby MAT passthrough in their latest reviews, not all TV's pass the test.

Since Sonos and Bose soundbars only have the one eARC HDMI their forums are full of posts about problems with LPCM. Most from Apple TV and gaming console owners.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes as I stated myself 6 months ago it is a Dolby MAT issue, however I have now refitted my HDFury Arcana so no more sound dropouts now, expensive fix I know but it works and for those who need multiple connections the Roofull 4k HDMI switch is known to play well with the HDFury Arcana. 

So is the random 1 second sound drop out when Apple TV 4K is enabled a Sonos issue or is my Samsung TV not passing through the Dolby Atmos signal correctly? 

As others have noted. To have been dealing with this issue for over a year is insane given the companies involved are Apple, Sonos and Samsung. Surely between the 3 of them they could work out a software patch to fix an issue effecting so many of their customers. 

Anyone tried emailing all 3 CEOs in a single email lol? Maybe contacting The Verge to get them to cover the story and use PR shaming to get some action. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Had to remove the HDFury Arcana, wife did not like the delays/black screens so back to the dropouts now.