Random 1 sec audio drop when playing Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4K

Show first post

72 replies

Badge
Same problem without solution, I even contacted the CEO but he told me that I just have to wait (I've been there for 1 year).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Lol telling people they have to wait, after the popping fiasco you would think they would want to get this sorted as well. Classic case of we have your money so why should we rush to fix things. I have been waiting for over 2 years for this to be fixed.

I have the same problem [arc, sub, era300]

So frustrating as the hole system is tailored against playing atmos.

If I play content thorough Samsung apps all is fine but if I play it on my Apple TV I get the dropouts with atmos films.

One solution is just drop the Apple TV but is so much more enjoyable consuming content on AppleTV compared to Samsung apps 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

15.11 now available will test this later, hopefully it has the fix finally, but I wont hold my breath

Well that’s a no then

Diagnostics submitted 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately the above solution (out matching frame rate to off) did not solve.

i have the same issue with PS5 and not just Apple TV 4K.

it is either an audio passthrough issue or most likely a Sonos Arc one or both.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've had this problem for over a year. Calling Sonos support is a dead end. So is calling Apple. 

I get 1-2 seconds without sound several times during movies rented on Apple Movies etc. 

The only solution so far is turning off Atmos and put it on Dolby 5.1 (on Apple TV). 

It's a total mess and it's so frustrating that these companies cannot sort this out togheter. It affects thousands of users. 

Badge

I have the same problem when playing Atmos; technical support acknowledged this issue but doesn’t provide solutions. Can’t a class-action lawsuit be filed? They are selling a defective product without disclosing it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue here.  Arc, Sub, 2 X Era300’s, Apple TV, Samsung Frame TV 2022. Random sound drops for approximately 1 second or less.  Happens 3 or 4 times over the course of a 2 hour movie.

At a loss of what to do as the Atmos sounds amazing but the drop outs ruin the experience when it happens.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Finger crossed that this will be fixed. As the popping issues are sorted hopefully this can be next.

Same exhaustingly frustrating problem.

Equally frustrating are suggestions to unplug and / or restart.

It is clearly an issue on the Sonos side they are aware of.

Great quality speakers, but the issues are “the pits.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Same issue here. I get a one second sound drop when playing Dolby Atmos TV content from Apple TV to Samsung with Sonos Arc.

Apple TV (latest model, 64GB, updated to TVOS17) by HDMI to Samsung Q90T (latest software).  Sonos Arc to Samsung’s eARC port.

I hope that if this thread gets long enough, someone with influence will notice…

I have the same issue with beam gen 2 and any source of atmos signal. Short audio drop outs happen only when playing atmos content from apple tv 4k, ps5 or pc.

Since Sonos has stated that the last release fixed the known issue, I’d suggest you’re experiencing something else, and should submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Arborg 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can only recommend that you continue troubleshooting with our technical support team - I hope they find an answer for you!

Badge

Hi @Arborg 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can only recommend that you continue troubleshooting with our technical support team - I hope they find an answer for you!

Thank you, Corry!
I am sure we will find a solution! Whether it's Sonos, Samsung or Apple TV causing the issue is still hard to say…

Yesterday I did some more testing after I saw someone here in the Sonos Community had audio interruptions that were solved by turning off Wi-Fi on some devices on their wireless network.

I turned off the wireless network on my router and only had Arc and Apple TV 4K connected via Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, there were still Audio interruptions when I played Mad Max: Fury Road from the movie library on Apple TV. The Sonos app confimed that it was playing in Dolby Atmos. I'm starting to become more and more convinced that it could be a handshake problem between ATV / Sonos / Samsung.

I'm running out of things to try. Of course, resetting the Arc is an option, but I think it's a last resort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Arborg 

Yesterday I did some more testing after I saw someone here in the Sonos Community had audio interruptions that were solved by turning off Wi-Fi on some devices on their wireless network.

I would take that report with a pinch of salt, if I were you. If the Arc is dropping out (and not just the surrounds) then it has nothing to do with the network.

Edit: I don’t think a reset would help, to be honest, though I could be wrong.

Hi,

Have a very similar setup as yours and having same symptoms. Drops audio 1sec every now and then when playing Atmos. Very annoying.

All Sonos units in my surround setup has been conneced to wired network, and HDMI cables are changed to new high quality ones to remedy the issue but it persists. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

15.10 does not fix the issue, sadly I am still suffering the drop outs

What did Sonos support say when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them with the number?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue here.  Arc, Sub, 2 X Era300’s, Apple TV, Samsung Frame TV 2022. Random sound drops for approximately 1 second or less.  Happens 3 or 4 times over the course of a 2 hour movie.

At a loss of what to do as the Atmos sounds amazing but the drop outs ruin the experience when it happens.

You got to set Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 instead. Sadly only solution I've found and I've been looking for a solution to keep atmos for over a year. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You got to set Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 instead. Sadly only solution I've found and I've been looking for a solution to keep atmos for over a year. 

I certainly understand your point but not sure if turning off Atmos is necessarily a solution.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I certainly understand your point but not sure if turning off Atmos is necessarily a solution.

It does not fix the reason it is happening, but it doesn't make the sound disappear in a movie. And it doesn't really sound that different :)

If you find a real solution that keeps atmos, post it right away!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It does not fix the reason it is happening, but it doesn't make the sound disappear in a movie. And it doesn't really sound that different :)

I don’t know.  I wouldn’t say it doesn’t really sound that different though.  Atmos content, at least in my set up, sounds pretty great.  Both movies and music.  Much better than 5.1 in my opinion.  And certainly since Atmos is being touted as such a significant feature of the Era 300’s as well as the Arc I’d still say there needs to be a proper fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t know.  I wouldn’t say it doesn’t really sound that different though.  Atmos content, at least in my set up, sounds pretty great.  Both movies and music.  Much better than 5.1 in my opinion.  And certainly since Atmos is being touted as such a significant feature of the Era 300’s as well as the Arc I’d still say there needs to be a proper fix.

I haven't got the Era's, but I see your point. The loss of sound in movies kills the mood for me. 

Badge

I have this issue also, not sure who's to blame apple or Sonos , I use the ezcoo between atv 4k 3rd gen and Sony 900e , with arc/sub/sl1 setup. only drops audio with Apple TV  not with fire stick ,atv uses mat or multichannel pcm for Atmos that does sound better to my ears. fire stick  uses dolby digital , the glitch has to be mat or multi channel pcm support from either or both.only happens with Atmos content.