Skip to main content
Question

Playbar Apple TV Toshiba TV

• 18 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I have a Toshiba CT-8555 TV, Sonos Playbar 1, Apple TV 4K. Playbar connected via optical cable. Apple TV connected to TV via HDMI. I cannot set up my TV remote with the sonos app, it does not recognise it. I have reset the playbar, i have followed the steps suggested - change batteries in remote, turn off the tv etc etc. I can only control the volume of the sonos through the sonos app, not through my apple tv remote, which is the goal. I have the same set up in a different room but with a Sony TV and it all works fine. I am fed up! Please help. I want to control the sound through the playbar with my apple remote!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If I recall correctly, you need to go into the AppleTVs settings, and set the remote to be IR (infrared) rather than RF or BT. The PLAYBAR only recognizes IR input. You may need to reset the Apple Remote, too. Somewhere in this forum is a thread on how to do that, but a Google Search would likely turn up that information elsewhere more easily. 

Hello the settings for volume control are set to tv via it. They have been all along. I really feel like it’s the television somehow…..

many thanks

Apologies, I misread your post. I thought you were trying to use the Apple TV remote, not the TV’s remote. Although in one sentence, you do say the TV remote, in the another, you say the Apple TV remote. 

There is likely a setting in the options of your Toshiba that allow you to set their remote up as IR only…or you may need to contact Toshiba’s customer service directly for instructions on how to do that. 

Sorry if I want any clear. My tv remote is t recognised by the sonos playbar. My Apple TV remote (consequently) can’t operate the Sonos. It must be the television. I may try Toshiba but to be honest I’m fed up with it.