Question

How to connect Sonos Beam to an Optima HD141x projector with no Optical or HDMI Arc

• 29 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, I have a new sonos beam and an old Optima HD141X projector. The projector has an audio out, HDMI 1/ MHL, HDMI 2 and 3D Sync out S5 as well as mini USB as per the photo attached. 

I would like to get the beam connected to the Optima projector. What is the best way to do this to ensure best sound quality and also to keep voice control (Alexa)? The beam requires an optical or an HDMI Arc as far as I can tell. Do I need to buy an HDMI Arc converter or some form of HDMI to optical converter? If so what will give the best sound quality? I am planning on having a play 5 (gen1) , a play 3 (gen 1) and the new beam all in the same room. The Play 3 is currently using wired to the projector via the audio in (on the play 3) 

to audio out (on the projector) connector.

I want to create as best a surround sound quality as I can.

Thanks all. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Dirkdiglett00,  welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out and sharing this information with us. This is to clarify that you’re using an Optoma HD141X projector, correct? I’d like to share with you that all of our home theater products were designed to be used with TVs. That said, some projectors may be compatible if they support HDMI or Optical. Please check out the supported home theater audio formats for your reference. Sonos home theater product may not output audio when your TV is playing from specific sources like a game console or a streaming service. Getting audio depends on the physical source device playing the content and the format or output must be set to one of our supported home theater audio formats. Let me share the following community threads that might help you out.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/how-do-i-set-up-my-sonos-with-optoma-hd143x-6842700

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/connecting-beam-to-projector-6811653

We can wait for inputs and suggestions from our community users. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.