[BUG] Sonos iOS app / Sonos Arc - Volume keeps maxing out to 100

• 2 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi, my Sonos Arc finally arrived today.  Unfortunately the product is unusable because the volume keeps automatically going to 100 all the damn time.  I’m using an Apple TV 4K with it and using via HDMI ARC to my Samsung TV.

All is fine, the Trueplay is setup and all.  But I can see that the status light flashes as if someone was secretly turning the volume up until it can’t go any higher, after that the Sonos Arc just keeps beeping angrily because it can’t go any higher but keeps trying.

The only solution I found is to disable the ‘Touch Controls’ option under Hardware settings on the Sonos app.

Have I just paid £799 for a defective product? Should I return it? Or is it a bug with the app itself? 

Diagnostic confirmation number: 1032501406

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge

Anyone else got this issue? I need to know if I gotta return the Arc or not.  Thanks.

I’ve got two Arcs, and do not have this issue. 

I would recommend that you either call in with that diagnostic, or wait until a community moderator has the opportunity to look at that data. 

Badge

I’ve got two Arcs, and do not have this issue. 

I would recommend that you either call in with that diagnostic, or wait until a community moderator has the opportunity to look at that data. 

Hi, thanks for your reply.  Can you let me know please what your setup is like? Are you using the iOS app on an iPhone? Also is your Arc connected to the TV via HDMI ARC? Do you have touch controls enabled or disabled?

Cheers.

Hi.  This is very unlikely to be a general bug as there would be hundreds of posts about it by now.  Your setup is standard.  A rare defective unit is a possibility, and the diagnostic should settle that one way or the other.

Does the problem occur if you play a source other than the Apple TV?  Just TuneIn radio from the Sonos app, for example, or an OTA television broadcast?  (If you want to protect yourself from the worst effects while experimenting, you could set a volume limit in the Arc’s settings.)

Do you have any other control systems, such as Apple Homekit?

Yes, I control both via iOS. One is connected directly to the ARC port, the other is connected to an HD Fury Arcana. Touch controls are enabled on both. 

I am unsurprisingly with John in this. Given the thousands or hundreds of thousands of these devices Sonos has already sold, if this was a common issue, there would indeed be hundreds, if not thousands, of posts with the same issue. 

I would repeat my suggestion of a diagnostic, followed by calling in to Customer Support. If it does turn out to be a hardware issue, no one here in the community will be able to assist, whereas the Sonos reps will likely be able to see the issue in the diagnostic, and assist you in replacing the unit. 

Badge

Yes, I control both via iOS. One is connected directly to the ARC port, the other is connected to an HD Fury Arcana. Touch controls are enabled on both. 

I am unsurprisingly with John in this. Given the thousands or hundreds of thousands of these devices Sonos has already sold, if this was a common issue, there would indeed be hundreds, if not thousands, of posts with the same issue. 

I would repeat my suggestion of a diagnostic, followed by calling in to Customer Support. If it does turn out to be a hardware issue, no one here in the community will be able to assist, whereas the Sonos reps will likely be able to see the issue in the diagnostic, and assist you in replacing the unit. 

Hi, so I started playing music from my iOS app with Amazon Music (I got Apple Music also connected Sonos app).  And I also did some AirPlay from my iMac to the device.  I went back to the Apple TV again to watch Netflix and now the volume issue is gone! Touch control is back on and now it just works fine… that was very weird!

Btw I already put a request in for Currys to collect the item.  They will let me know collection date for replacement, but now I’m not so sure…

How do I contact Sonos in the UK? Or if easier, what email address to send to support?

At the bottom of this page is a link to ‘Contact Us’. Assuming you browser is pointed to the UK website, you’ll get the appropriate information.