Question

What causes this problem?

So I’ve had this very odd problem for a while now where I can’t get DTS-HD 5.1 to work on my beam gen 2. I’m aware that sonos products doesn't support DTS-HD or DTS-X, but as I understand it when playing a blu-ray with dts-hd 5.1 for example the speaker should output it as PCM 5.1. Here’s the thing tho, I have discs supporting everything from mono dts-hd to dts-x and and they all work perfectly except for 5.1 specifically.

If I’m lucky I’ll get functioning sound with the occasional clipping, but most of the time there’s just no sound at all. Again, DTS-HD 5.1 is the only file that doesn't work.

For reference I’m playing the discs on a Sony x800m2 and passing the audio through an LG CX to the Beam gen2.

Good day

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

ratings dot com says the CX doesn’t support any DTS audio pass through. There are a number of audio extractors you can buy to by pass the tv itself.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Any recommendations that are reasonably priced?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Haven't used them myself, someone might pipe up.

Check the audio settings on your LG CX TV. It's important to verify that the TV is passing through the audio signal correctly to the Sonos Beam Gen 2. 
While Sonos products do not natively support DTS-HD or DTS-X formats, they should typically downmix these formats to PCM for output.