Answered

Sonos Arc problems

• 10 November 2020
  • 26 replies

Badge

Hi,

My new Sonos arc, unlike my expieriences to date with previous Sonos products is a nightmare, from setting up onwards.

As soon as I channel surf on my satellite TV box, the sound turns off and I have to get my phone, open the Sonos app and turn it back on again.

Now it refuses to play music regardless of what I do or try, just says unable to play.

Seriously considering sending it back and reverting to my old Sonos connect, as that actually works.

Have I got a dud? or is this common? And if so, why would Sonos release such a thing?

Cheers

Adrian 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 January 2021, 11:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Adrian k.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about that trouble, but let me help and try to figure this out.

May you please verify the audio source you are attempting to play the audio from? (Cable box, Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, built-in TV apps for streaming services)

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge

Hi,

I've just submitted a diagnostic report as requested number 2064747275.

I've finally got it playing music again from the Sonos app after switching it off and on a few times.

However I still have the problem that when I'm watching TV through my Sky box, if I channel surf especially in the guide, I lose sound until I get my phone open the app, and un mute it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Which TV specifically? hard to say if the Sky box or the TV is the problem device here.

Badge

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, we had visitors.

My TV is an LG 65 inch Oled, 65EF950T-TA with an optical connection to a standard New Zealand Skybox satellite decoder. Still muting itself whilst changing channels etc.

I now have another problem with the Sonos app, I can't search for music/stations, as it says, 'Account needs to be reauthorized' and when I try it says 'Error unable to reauthorize'.

These never ending problems is so not like my usual/old experience of Sonos systems.

Thank you for very much your help by the way.

Cheers

Adrian 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
  1. If a channel change interferes with the optical output, that sounds like an issue with the sat box (or less likely, the TV). An uncommon one at that. It is hard to get optical wrong, but someone there has.
  2. If you are referring to Sonos Radio authorization problems, it has had some issues recently, plenty of other threads on that. Fix seems to be reboot every Sonos device.
Badge

Its actually impossible to connect incorrectly.

Its either connected or its not.

Even if I mute the sound on the TV, Sonos sometimes turns off the Sonos Arc, until you go get the phone, open the app and un mute it yet again, its an ongoing battle.

Crazy.

I will no longer be singing Sonos's praises, and recommending to buy.

I've had 'inferior' home theatre systems before and never had any of these issues.

Really not happy.

And such a shame.

Badge

Hi again,

I went out today, my wife tried to watch the TV, NO sound!

I of course had my phone with me, and she hasn't got the Sonos app on hers so could not un mute, (probably not even possible to have the same account app on 2 different peoples phone?).

This is absolute lunacy.

Is there going to be a software update for this very soon?

If not, I will return the thing.

Not a decision I take lightly as it will mean a lot of wall hole filling and redecoration.

Sonos ussd to be the new Bosse, what's gone wrong?

A cheap & nasty soundbar at least works.

Badge

There is no sound on Netflix either, which has a direct connection via an Ethernet connection to the bar.

Is this a sounbar or an external mobile phone speaker?

I am having the same problem with my new LG. I have used Sonos devices for years. Went through every single one of the suggestions and prompts multiple times. My diagnostic report is 1655017329. 

Badge

I still have huge problems with this 'soundbar', I use the word loosely as quite often there is no sound.

If I mute the skybox or channel surf, 50% of the time the sound cuts out, so I have to either get my phone, open the app and turn back on, or get up and push the button on top of the thing, this happens countless times every day. Sonos of course says its my TV, my Skybox, not the soundbar, but I never had thes problems before I made the mistake of buying this thing, my old system was far superior.

Its too late for me to return it, I've been waiting for a Sonos fix, which obviously isn't coming, so I am seriously considering selling it on.

Userlevel 7

@Adrian k What HDMI port is the Arc connected to on your TV? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc? Have you set up Simplink on your TV?

HDMI 2; Yes and yes. I have done everything. Every time I try to add the Arc I end up with an error message telling me there was a problem with the setup. Nothing cures it. I am so fed up with Sonos I am returning the Arc.

Userlevel 7

@Boro1000 What specific LG model do you have? And what specific error message do you get? Do you have any other devices connected to your TV?

Badge

Its connected with the factory supplied arcs cable that came with it, to the optical outlet.

I've been a through this before with someone at Sonos, nothing fixes it.

Userlevel 7

@Adrian k Why are you using optical? Why not set up Simplink and connect using HDMI ARC in HDMI 2 or HDMI 3?

Badge

I do not use HDMI arc because it doesn't exist on my LG 65" OLED, so as per instructions and Sonos 'help' I have no other choice but to use optical. 

Userlevel 7

@Adrian k According to your TV’s manual, HDMI ARC is supported on your TV’s HDMI 2 port. Enable SIMPLINK in your TV’s settings and plug the Arc into HDMI 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Adrian k OLEDS are mostly relatively new TV's. Most newer TV's (built the last ten years or so) have HDMI-ARC. Can you post the model number of your TV?

Userlevel 7

@106rallye He already did… LG 65EF950T-TA. HDMI 2 supports HDMI ARC on his TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, missed that. According to page 30 of the manual (https://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=9s0cDmrUOrtSEPQChET4Og) HDMI 2 and 3 are the HDMI-ARC ports:

Userlevel 7

Based on the diagram, it looks like model EF95 uses HDMI 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The text also mentions number 3, but I agree: try HDMI 2 first.

Badge

Thanks for your help guys, I'll have another go at it all again tomorrow when I get home.

Badge

Thank you all very much for your help.

The TV manual I have doesn't state that the Hdmi 2 is arc capable, so I followed the Sonos instructions and used the optic.

I've been using the new connection for a couple of days now, and all seems well.

Cheers Adrian

Userlevel 7

It is very surprising your TV doesn’t have HDMI ARC. But if you are happy with the audio you get from the optical connection, then I guess that’s all that matters. Enjoy!