Question

Sonos Arc Atmos with cathedral ceilings?

Hey all,

My bedroom has cathedral ceiling, approximately 15’ tall at the peak. Currently, I have a playbar located at one wall, placed dead center under the peak, so that the wall descends equally down on either side of the bar. 
Does anyone have any input if this setup will work with Atmos? If I replace the bar for an Arc. My concern is the obvious, I’ve read that you need a short level ceiling for Dolby Atmos to create a surround effect.

will true play work with Atmos to perfect the surround effect in the room? Should I just stick with the playbar?

will atmos work with cathedral ceilings 15’ high?

i also have a sub in the room.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Edit, ceiling is 11’ high at the peak

It’s a good question.    What’s the angle of the incline?  I would think 10-15 degrees wouldn’t be much of an issue.  If it’s something like 45 degrees, than it would be a problem.

It’s a good question.    What’s the angle of the incline?  I would think 10-15 degrees wouldn’t be much of an issue.  If it’s something like 45 degrees, than it would be a problem.

It’s around 19 degrees…

any thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

That’s a tricky one. Trueplay for Arc includes testing the height of the room and adjusts timing of the audio to account for that, which will help with a vaulted ceiling. From what I’ve heard and seen, I think you should be just fine to really enjoy the sound of Arc. It’s definitely worth testing out, we have a great money back guaranty in the off chance you aren’t satisfied.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Manchester 

Below is a link to a “White” paper supposedly published by Dolby Laboratories. Page 5 discusses ceiling height for soundbars.  Spoiler Alert: You should be OK with an 11 foot high ceiling at the apex.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-sound-bar-applications.pdf

Cheers!

Badge
Arc mounted on thin right angle shelf -- back spaced same as thickness of flat-panel above (0.8”)

I’d like to have the soundbar as close to the TV as possible for aesthetic -- tying to keep the fireplace wall as clean as possible -- sort of have the flat panel and soundbar as one unit.  The 4” spec is still confusing me as to if it is a spec for spatial separate in general from the screen or purely to insure that the soundbar up-firing speakers are not physically impeded from firing into the ceiling for the full Atmos effect.  Here is a side view of what I thinking of doing with a metal shelf (since there is a fireplace below ~18”) that would have the Arc have a free ‘view’ of the ceiling to fire against for Atmos effects.

Userlevel 7

Hi @RaleighJim 

The 4 inch spatial separation is the recommended distance for wall mounting for optimal performance. It is not just merely intended for esthetics. That said if you can adjust the metal shelf (or the TV) to achieve the recommended separation between the Arc and the bottom of your TV; I highly recommend doing so.

Cheers!

Badge

AjTrek1,

Thanks for the kind reply.  I understand the recommendation as written -- I guess I am asking for more of the science behind it.  It does seem all about not impeding the up-firing speakers from their view of the ceiling (to do their acoustic magic for Atmos elevation sound bouncing off the ceiling).  However, if I can guarantee that the flat-panel is not ‘in the way’ with the bracket, DOES the 4” recommendation go away?

I didn’t mean to imply that the 4” gap was for aesthetics -- it is more that for my aesthetic, I want the soundbar closer to the flat panel, so as not to have a gap.

Also-- I am constrained underneath given there is a fireplace there and I want the flat-panel as low as possible (to avoid neck craning when on the couch) while still providing a reasonable heat gap between the top of the fireplace and the Arc.  The 4” I believe is purely to avoid the sound impedance by the flat-panel, which Sonos has not control over, so they recommend 4” as a adequate space to accommodate the variety of thicknesses of flat-panels that might be above it….OR there is some other Atmos science that says that for optimal acoustic treatment, the Sonos should be 4” below the viewing surface  for some reason.  If it is the latter, then I believe the specification would like have been Y” below the center of the viewing surface, vs just the bottom.

I’m trying to solve for three contraints:

1. Maximum space above the fireplace to avoid heat damage
  2. Lowest possible flat-panel height to avoid neck-crane
  3. This 4” suggestion.

If I can kick the Arc out far enough on the wall with the custom shelf to avoid the flat-panel getting in the way of the up-firing speakers, at least I do away with one of the constraints (#3)

Userlevel 7

Hi @RaleighJim 

For a more definitive answer regarding the 4” spacing you’ll have to contact Sonos Tech Support. Mounting electronics above an active fireplace (4 “ requirement aside) is always a tricky and sometimes risky business.

I’d dare say your measurements in the diagram are most likely a bit off regarding the spacing between the dry wall and the LG TV. There has to been some allowance for the mounting bracket be if static, tilt or full motion. That measurement would also effect the depth of the shelf and position of the Arc.

Badge

Badge

This is the beauty of the LG GX thin / no gap mount capability 

https://www.lg.com/us/gallerytvinstallationguide

definitely no tilt!  Which is one reason why I’m trying to keep it at reasonable eye level.  Samsung has similar capability on some models, including their Frame TV.   It will become much more prevalent with OLED as we go forward.  Heat, however, doesn’t change generation to generation!

The fireplace manufacturer that I am looking at does state a flat panel can be mounted 18” above if a 3.3” mantel minimum is provided (.8”+2.5” per diagram)  but the ‘mantel’ is where the Sonos would go, so I want to protect it also.  

it may all be impossible to get perfect and I’ll have to trade off height for safety for good sound...but I’d really like to save that 4” if possible and still have good sound.   Looking for an Atmos expert to chime in here if possible...but maybe that YouTube video will give me a better foundation to decide from...I haven’t had a chance to watch it today, yet.