Question

Playbar sound cuts out

• 11 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
I've had my playbar four a couple of years. It's connected directly to my TV using the optical cable.
Recently the sound has started cutting out.
I either have to reset the playbar or disconnect and reconnect the optical cable.
Sometimes I only need to change channel and the sound comes back, which made me think it was my cable set top box, but I've swapped the cable box for my other cable boxes and I have the same issue.
When I put sound back to TV speakers, it does not cut out.

Sometimes there is a little bit of a crackle to the sound before it cuts out.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I am having the exact same issue. The sound stops after watching TV (cable box) for 15-60min. It has never dropped when I play the xbox or directly wire the optical cable into the cable box.
I am also having the same problem. It seems when my girlfriend comes over her phone connects to my Sonos and we start a movie on Roku. Within the first 30 minutes the Playbar will cut out, but my Play 3's will still work. I've tried changing the channels through Sonos app. Did not work. Any help would be appreciated.
Your confirmation number is: 7719132.
My Playbar is flashing white when it loses its connection. I had the same issue awhile back and installed the Linksys Velop system to upgrade my wifi connection. It worked perfectly for several months. Now it's back to cutting out the sound intermittently whether I'm using it for the TV or for music.
joemaguire897, sounds like there's an issue with your TV set. I'd double check the audio settings on the TV, and make sure the firmware is up to date.

preheat, are the Play:3s set up as surrounds, or grouped with the Playbar? Are you playing music, or TV sound? You've certainly taken the right step by submitting that diagnostic, we'll hope that someone from Sonos comes along soon to read it.

deenakeys, have you looked at the FAQ at https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227/~/led-lights-on-sonos-products yet? You also may want to do what preheat did, and submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. Based on your description, I'm wondering if there might be some wifi interference near your Playbar that's causing it to cutout during music playback. Of course, I don't think that it's an issue with the TV playback, since that's across an optical connection and not subject to wifi interference. My advice for that issue would be much more along the lines of joemaguire897s, checking the audio settings and the firmware. Wouldn't hurt to check the physical connections of the cable, either, in all honestly, I didn't have mine connected all the way for a while, and it took me forever (not literally) to figure that out.
I am also having the same issue. I occasionally get the sound to restart by just changing the channel but most of the time I have to change the sound output on the TV and then return to the Playbar output. I have updated the Optical cable which resolved the issue for about one day but the issue returned.
rjcar, you might be helped by the current "beta" release that is being discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

It seems like this is resolving a lot of long standing issues with TV issues, including the one you're talking about. Just need to post a diagnostic in that thread, and apparently they'll hook you up.
Thanks, I have submitted and posted my Diagnostics number. Hopefully the Beta version solves the issue.