Playbar and hdmi rumor. (late 2018 / early 2019)


Badge
  • Enthusiast
  • 15 replies
We might finally get a new one. Including HDMI 2.1.

The guy who posted the topic on reddit soon deleted it after it was posted possibly because he actually wasnt allowed to post it?

If you click on his profile you'll find posts where he do everything in his power to make the post "less likely" and told people it was false. I think he fucked up revealing sensitive information. (since Sonos is too private about their releases and upcoming stuff)

Rumoured source:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PMYMBHFS8QoJ:https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/7vm79v/leak_the_next_sonos_sound_bar_will_have_hdmi/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=dk

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1517993468

52 replies

Apparently fake news. See his admission in the 2018 Playbar thread.
Badge
Airgetlam wrote:

Apparently fake news. See his admission in the 2018 Playbar thread.

do you have a link? I've read what he says but find it rather weird now that he is doing everything in his power to get the "news" to be fake. Might as well be real
Sorry, wasn't at home, and was using a phone. Here's the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/next-generation-playbar-2018-6793521/index1.html#post16205872
Badge
Airgetlam wrote:

Sorry, wasn't at home, and was using a phone. Here's the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/next-generation-playbar-2018-6793521/index1.html#post16205872

doesn't mean it's fake. He might as well say that because he wasn't allowed to release the information. And why bother making such a in depth article about it if it's just fake. Fud.
Not sure what is true but I won't buy a playbar before a new one comes out. I got a play 3 and I'm ready to complete my whole 5.1 setup but won't do it before Sonos get hdmi (dts / atmos)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
ZamaX wrote:

Airgetlam wrote:

Sorry, wasn't at home, and was using a phone. Here's the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/next-generation-playbar-2018-6793521/index1.html#post16205872

doesn't mean it's fake. He might as well say that because he wasn't allowed to release the information. And why bother making such a in depth article about it if it's just fake. Fud.
Not sure what is true but I won't buy a playbar before a new one comes out. I got a play 3 and I'm ready to complete my whole 5.1 setup but won't do it before Sonos get hdmi (dts / atmos)



I hope you get something at least. My experience playing Bladerunner 2047 on 4K blue ray with and without the Playbase is chalk and cheese.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
ZamaX wrote:

Airgetlam wrote:

Apparently fake news. See his admission in the 2018 Playbar thread.

do you have a link? I've read what he says but find it rather weird now that he is doing everything in his power to get the "news" to be fake. Might as well be real



double bluff perhaps ?!
We won’t know until there is either a confirmation on a release from Sonos this year...or not. As much as I want it to be true doesn’t mean it is true. So I’ll hope for the best, and not be wildly disappointed if it doesn’t pan out.

But in the meantime, I do need to do some research with regards to his claims. I haven’t been following HDMI 2.1 very closely.

The part that makes it fake to me is the fact that their would be so few TVs that would have a function like eARC, and Sonos’ propensity for maximizing revenue by hitting the widest market possible. If Sonos had shown in the past that they were releasing hardware at the cutting edge of technology, I’d deem this more probable.

I hope I’m wrong, but I do want this thread to be a balanced understanding of the potential, and not a “OMG, it’s going to be released next week” thread. So far, it hasn’t. I want others to apply a critical eye to this, much as we have so far.
Badge
Airgetlam wrote:

We won’t know until there is either a confirmation on a release from Sonos this year...or not. As much as I want it to be true doesn’t mean it is true. So I’ll hope for the best, and not be wildly disappointed if it doesn’t pan out.

But in the meantime, I do need to do some research with regards to his claims. I haven’t been following HDMI 2.1 very closely.

The part that makes it fake to me is the fact that their would be so few TVs that would have a function like eARC, and Sonos’ propensity for maximizing revenue by hitting the widest market possible. If Sonos had shown in the past that they were releasing hardware at the cutting edge of technology, I’d deem this more probable.

I hope I’m wrong, but I do want this thread to be a balanced understanding of the potential, and not a “OMG, it’s going to be released next week” thread. So far, it hasn’t. I want others to apply a critical eye to this, much as we have so far.

I agree. Nice way to sum it up basicly. If you (or anyone else) find anything that can be somewhere confirmed about the 2.1 EARC and stuff that'd be great. Your point on TV's that they'd require 2.1 EARC technology is a pretty decent argument although the TV industry always improves their technology aswell. Some day it's gotta happen. Not EARC specificly but a HDMI "upgrade". Will it happen soon or rather later? dont know. but if EARC comes to TV's pretty soon, it might be a little clue to the whole picture. I'll see if i can do some research into the EARC feature aswell so see if i can dig something up. Without anything confirmed, i hope this will happen. Because if it doesnt, HEOS might take over this household... or other setups. Which is why i so heavily hope this is true. Rumours like these is what makes me extend my "limit" before i change setup so either way it actually gives Sonos more time to figure their shit out before they end up like Nokia. - Not following technology and ending up bankrupt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some of the stuff I've read about HDMI 2.1 seems to indicate that TV manufacturers won't have it in their 2018 models. Maybe some mid-year new models or refreshes, but I'm not expecting it on any first-round 2018 stuff. There is a company with an eARC HDMI 2.1 chipset though (Lattice Semiconductor), so it's not impossible that Sonos could be integrating that if they're working on such a product. If it's really true, it would be awesome for Sonos to be ahead of the curve with something like this... as long as they don't blow it on codec support.

And speaking of codecs, video codecs may not be necessary to license if they don't pass through a video signal. If they're strictly using ARC/eARC, they'd only be dealing with audio data. Of course, losing an HDMI port strictly for audio on a TV with only 2 or 3 of them would be a pretty big loss IMHO.

Between HDMI 2.1 and ATSC 3.0 both being finalized now, I'm looking forward to the day I can buy a new One Connect Mini box for my Samsung TV with both an upgraded over-the-air tuner and an updated HDMI chipset. Here's to hoping it's sooner than later!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
My only concern is: do Sonos have enough experience and knowledge to manage HDMI stuff? It means many protocols: hdcp, CEC, arc ...
For sure it is more complex than optical and there are more competitors with more experience there: Denon, Yamaha, Sony, ...
Sooo.
Apparently there is a FCC filing on it now. Apparently has HDMI... But no word on what HDMI version it will use yet.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/30/17304114/sonos-fcc-filing-playbar-rumor-update-alexa-voice
https://fccid.io/SBVRM014
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Please please please Sonos make full channel stereo option available when watching TV as well and I will trash my current home theater setup in favor of full Sonos HT! Please
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
http://www.aftvnews.com/fcc-filing-suggests-sonos-is-working-on-a-new-tv-sound-bar-with-alexa-voice-control/
camillo777 wrote:

Please please please Sonos make full channel stereo option available when watching TV as well and I will trash my current home theater setup in favor of full Sonos HT! Please


Not possible, because audio tracks as such are integral parts of TV shows and movies, regardless of the medium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_sound#/media/File:Anamorphic-digital_sound.jpg
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I'm no expert, but I don't see how it's not possible. I understand that you've got a 5.1 or other signal, but doesn't this get downgraded to stereo sound all the time? For example, if you're watching a streaming or Blu-ray that's in 5.1, you can listen to it over the TV's stereo speakers, right? So how would that be any different if you chose to have stereo sound from the soundbar and rears of your sonos setup?

Personally, I would be interested in this for the times I want to listen to stream music through the tv. Toggling between the audio formats would need to be easy or automatic to be useful though.
When in TV-mode Playbar/Playbase are capable of downgrading predefined 5.1 to 2.0/2.1 stereo, which in turn can be 'upgraded' to a virtual surround image but with true 2.0/2.1 two-channel stereo sound the rear surrounds remain silent.
Userlevel 2
Badge
melvimbe wrote:

I'm no expert, but I don't see how it's not possible. I understand that you've got a 5.1 or other signal, but doesn't this get downgraded to stereo sound all the time? For example, if you're watching a streaming or Blu-ray that's in 5.1, you can listen to it over the TV's stereo speakers, right? So how would that be any different if you chose to have stereo sound from the soundbar and rears of your sonos setup?

Personally, I would be interested in this for the times I want to listen to stream music through the tv. Toggling between the audio formats would need to be easy or automatic to be useful though.



It is possible but makes zero sense for movies and TV shows and even less sense for audio.

It ruins the stereo image and I don't know what benefit it provides other than making sound come out of all speakers just because you can.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
glide wrote:


It is possible but makes zero sense for movies and TV shows and even less sense for audio.

It ruins the stereo image and I don't know what benefit it provides other than making sound come out of all speakers just because you can.



As I stated before, I sometimes would prefer to stream music through the tv (firetv) because of the added visuals, possibly lyrics, on the tv. In those cases, stereo would be preferable to 5.1. It might help to understand that the room I'm referring to is both family room and kitchen, with the 2 rears located in the kitchen area. If I'm standing in the kitchen, I'd rather hear stereo than a surround image. It really isn't any different in that scenario than if I was streaming amazon music directly through sonos.

It really isn't just a 'because you can' situation. It's far from a deal breaker, but it absolutely has it's benefits.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
All home theater and avr receiver allow for this functionality.
For sure someone is using it (me for example) for many reasons, caring less for audiophile measures, levels and set up.
camillo777 wrote:

All home theater and avr receiver allow for this functionality.
For sure someone is using it (me for example) for many reasons, caring less for audiophile measures, levels and set up.


Then remove the surround configuration, and group rears and Bar/Base together.
Userlevel 2
Badge
melvimbe wrote:

glide wrote:


It is possible but makes zero sense for movies and TV shows and even less sense for audio.

It ruins the stereo image and I don't know what benefit it provides other than making sound come out of all speakers just because you can.



As I stated before, I sometimes would prefer to stream music through the tv (firetv) because of the added visuals, possibly lyrics, on the tv. In those cases, stereo would be preferable to 5.1. It might help to understand that the room I'm referring to is both family room and kitchen, with the 2 rears located in the kitchen area. If I'm standing in the kitchen, I'd rather hear stereo than a surround image. It really isn't any different in that scenario than if I was streaming amazon music directly through sonos.

It really isn't just a 'because you can' situation. It's far from a deal breaker, but it absolutely has it's benefits.



I believe you are trying to use your sons for both HT and Stereo Audio. Instead of looking into a method for audio to come from all speakers, Sonos should implement an easy way to uncouple and re-couple the primary stereo pair from the 5.1 setup.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
glide wrote:



I believe you are trying to use your sons for both HT and Stereo Audio.



Yes, but that doesn't really tell the whole story. I would like the option to be able to quickly switch to full audio even when playing audio for the tv, and back again. Right now, you can only set to full audio when playing from non-tv sources...and it's not exactly a quick switch.

glide wrote:


Instead of looking into a method for audio to come from all speakers, Sonos should implement an easy way to uncouple and re-couple the primary stereo pair from the 5.1 setup.



If that's what you want. Great. I'm not interested though. I just want the option to play full audio (stereo) for tv sources (optical input). I would think that would be a lot easier to implement then reassigning the speaker bonds quickly.
It isn't possible to transcode TV sound on-the-fly.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The more I think about it, the more I realize it would be better to release a AVR instead of a new soundbar

Releasing a soundbar, it would just become outdated again in the future and require a new revision - but releasing a hugely upgraded AVR instead (SUPERCONNECT) would make more sense.

Would be great if you had a SUPERCONNECT and then you could just buy your Play 1/3/5 and use those to create a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system - benefit of this is you get better channel separation and more options for how you position and setup your home theater - I would hope that the SUPERCONNECT also allowed 5.1.2/5.1.4 or 7.1.2/7.1.4 and then SONOS sold the Upfiring Atmos speakers that would be cool

Of course either way my playbar would become redundant, not that I currently have the space to setup a 5.1.2 system with Play 3 speakers, lack of space is the reason I bought the Playbar and Play 1s in the first place, but having that upgrade path for the future would be nice

If a SUPERCONNECT is realeased, then once I have the space I would sell my Playbar and Play 1's and then buy the SUPERCONNECT and 8 PLAY 3's, keeping the SUB to create that 7.1 system. Of course by the same token, once I get more space, if at that time doing this was not possible with Sonos I would sell my entire Sonos system and then buy a high end AVR from Yamaha/Denon and just buy all the speakers and create that setup myself
Userlevel 2
Badge
melvimbe wrote:

glide wrote:



I believe you are trying to use your sons for both HT and Stereo Audio.



Yes, but that doesn't really tell the whole story. I would like the option to be able to quickly switch to full audio even when playing audio for the tv, and back again. Right now, you can only set to full audio when playing from non-tv sources...and it's not exactly a quick switch.

glide wrote:


Instead of looking into a method for audio to come from all speakers, Sonos should implement an easy way to uncouple and re-couple the primary stereo pair from the 5.1 setup.



If that's what you want. Great. I'm not interested though. I just want the option to play full audio (stereo) for tv sources (optical input). I would think that would be a lot easier to implement then reassigning the speaker bonds quickly.



That is not at all what I want. Faux-stereo sound is a terrible idea.

What you are looking for is a feature a very, very small number of people would use because there is no real-world, practical application for it. If there were unlimited development resources; maybe its a nice-to-have at best.

The uncoupling method gives you what you are looking for (the right way) and is do-able from a technology standpoint. If I were looking for a solution, that's where I would focus my efforts.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings