Onkyo "Works with Sonos" issue - Please help

Show first post

32 replies

Unfortunately, I don't own either of these devices, so I'm not going to be much help beyond what I've read in these forums in other user's cases.

Perhaps you may want to contact Sonos support directly, rather than relying on other user's experiences? You could reach out to Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. That might give them the opportunity to remote into your system, and see what's going on from the network level.

Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I appreciate it. I'm not very active on this forum. I am going to do a search, but just curious. From what you have read, did it seem like most users were able to get this resolved?

I noticed when I have the problem, if I redo the "Works with Sonos" setup again that it works for awhile, but then by the evening or next day it is flakey again.
In all of the resolved cases, i.e. people who bothered to report back here, it was always a case of running a firmware update on the "works with Sonos" device. Apparently, if I remember correctly, Sonos made a change that confounded the way that these companies had implemented it. Don't really know if Sonos ignored their own standards on the API, or the companies didn't implement the API the way that Sonos said it needed to be. Been in that kind of situation on my own, where someone thinks "I can just shortcut this, I know what the API is supposed to be doing, and it's too complicated, I'll make it run faster" and then get bitten, so I'm a tad sanguine about assigning blame to Sonos. But it's possible, and I'm not in the audio business, my experience is in games.

That being said, it's always a possibility that the issue you're experiencing is not a true "works with Sonos" error, but simply a network issue which has that aspect. Hard for me to tell. I can certainly give advice about network issues, that's pretty much 99% of what this forum is about, actually, but truthfully, your best bet is that diagnostic, and then contacting Sonos directly. There's all sorts of data (I think...never seen one) in that diagnostic that shows the techs from Sonos what issues are popping up. Including some network data. But I wouldn't expect it to show anything if there was an issue inside the receiver's firmware. I doubt their diagnostics can reach into those devices and pull information.
Just as a note, wikipedia tells me that both companies are essentially the same:

In March 2015, Onkyo purchased Pioneer Corporation's Home Electronics Corporation, which produces home cinema amplifiers, Blu-ray players and other AV products. In return, Pioneer took a 14.95% stake in Onkyo. The Ohtsuki family remain the largest shareholders of the company with an approximately 26% stake,[1] just above Gibson Brands, with a 16.5% stake.[3]

So it doesn't surprise me that you're having trouble with both devices simultaneously. They're probably running essentially the same firmware.
I have an Onkyo TX RZ830 and a Sonos Connect - both updated to the latest firmware on each. If I reboot (as in remove power cord) the Onkyo, and run through the setup menu, it will find the Sonos Connect at it's IP address and then the "works with Sonos" functionality works - for maybe 3 or 4 times, then it stops. If you return to the setup menus in Onkyo, it says no Sonos device found. It's been this way since I purchased the Onkyo in April, through multiple code upgrades on each.

Like others, the only reason I purchased the Onkyo Receiver was for this functionality.
Have you contacted Onkyo for assistance? Given the lack of other complaints here in the Sonos forums, it leads me to think that it may be an issue on their side, rather than on the Sonos side. Especially as you've done what I consider to be the normal troubleshooting step of checking firmware updates.

I suppose it might be wifi interference between the two devices, since I don't know how you have them connected, or even a rarer duplicate IP address issue, since it seems intermittent.
Bruce -

Both devices are connected by wired Ethernet into the same switch. I've made sure the IPs do not change by setting DHCP reservations on my router. I did call Onkyo and after speaking with a tech and leaving a detailed technical description of the issue I was promised a call back, but I never heard from them. Judging by the number of posts on this issue it seems to be common and widespread.
Well, given that they’re wired, it does seem hard to support any WiFi interference, doesn’t it?

I would suggest that it is not a widespread issue, given the dearth of posts about it, but then again I have no concept of how many installations that there are.

I would suggest that that your best bet at this point would be to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I am unsure as to whether a diagnostic would be useful, as it would only show what is going on on the Sonos side of the equation, and I still consider that to be a lower chance. But I’ve been wrong before. And will again.

If you get a resolution, I’d ask that you come back here and let us learn from your experience.