Onkyo "Works with Sonos" issue - Please help

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having the same issue with a Pioneer VSX-934 and a Sonos Connect. 

It works initially after but not consistently with seemingly no pattern. Doing some deductions I’ve narrowed it down to a consistent way to fix the issue. Which may in turn lead to the problem. 

All streaming services direct to the amp always work and wake it up - AirPlay, Spotify Connect etc

I found the issue by switching to WiFi. When the unit stops responding to the Sonos prompt, checking the Works with Sonos setting shows no devices available.

However if you toggle WiFi off then on then the devices reappear. This leads me to believe it’s a problem in the network stack side of the Pioneer unit. 

This is extremely frustrating. As pointed out by other people. I invested in more Sonos equipment and purchased the Pioneer unit specifically for this role. 

The feature is excellent. But more effort needs be made to maintain and enhance its stability. It is very annoying and difficult to get to this AMP. 

Has as anyone else found anymore info?

The problem is identical on my Onkyo NR-585. Toggling the Wi-FI network setting makes it possible to ‘find’ the SONOS Connect again. 

For Onkyo users, here is the sequence in settings:

Setup > Hardware > Network > WI-Fi (toggle once from Off(Wired) to On or On to Off(Wired))

and then,

Setup > Hardware > Works with SONOS > Connected Device (now your Connect should show up)

Userlevel 1
Badge

It works initially after but not consistently with seemingly no pattern. Doing some deductions I’ve narrowed it down to a consistent way to fix the issue. Which may in turn lead to the problem. 

All streaming services direct to the amp always work and wake it up - AirPlay, Spotify Connect etc

I found the issue by switching to WiFi. When the unit stops responding to the Sonos prompt, checking the Works with Sonos setting shows no devices available.

However if you toggle WiFi off then on then the devices reappear. This leads me to believe it’s a problem in the network stack side of the Pioneer unit. 

This is extremely frustrating. As pointed out by other people. I invested in more Sonos equipment and purchased the Pioneer unit specifically for this role. 

The feature is excellent. But more effort needs be made to maintain and enhance its stability. It is very annoying and difficult to get to this AMP. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @gr8177063 

I had problems with the Pioneer unit - but I believe this is due to the wireless network when using Cisco Meraki equipment. 

I struggled with the Pioneer in that I couldn't get ARC working. However everything else worked. With the Onkyo I have ARC however it just won’t go into auto standby even with those settings set 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had all kinds of problems with Works with SONOS from random shutdowns to not turning on at all. I have spent hours experimenting with different settings to the point where it appears that I finally have everything working correctly.

Last month, I upgraded from Onkyo TX-NR555 to Pioneer VSX-LX503 to get the Works with SONOS feature. The Pioneer is attached to a SONOS Port. The other speakers are a SONOS 5 Gen 2 and 2 SONOS Play 1s. SONOS software version 11.0 and Pioneer firmware 1071-0000-1060-0011. Looks like the menus between the Onkyo and Pioneer are pretty similar. 

Go to System Setup then->

Input/Output->Analog Input - Audio1 - Mine is attached to the BD/DVD via RCA cable.

Hardware->Works with SONOS->OutZone:Main/Z2 - This was the key for me because I originally had it set to Main only since I don’t have anything hooked up to Zone 2. Regardless, when it was set only to Main it would just turn itself off and go into standby after a few hours while SONOS was still playing on the other speakers. This fixed it for me!

Hardware->Power Management->Network Standby On - If this is set to off then it won’t turn on at all.

Hardware->Power Management->Auto Standby On - This one is pretty obvious but after I stop playing SONOS music from the app the Pioneer goes into standby mode after 20 mins. When I press play on the app it turns itself on again.

AVR and SONOS must also be on same Wi-Fi network. 

That’s my setup and everything appears to be working as intended. Hopefully, this helps somebody out. Cheers!

Hi. Are you saying that your unit will go  to stand by even if you have zone 2 switched on? I have a Onkyo TX-RZ696 and with zone 2 or zone 3 ON the unit will never go to standby (this is clearly specified in the manual too).

Maybe Pioneer and Onkyo receivers have not the same behaviour? It would be interesting to understand this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Dave,

That’s similar to how I have mine setup, with a hard limit on the output. 

Works with Sonos is certainly broken with Sonos 10.5.1 and Pioneer firmware 1030-4010-1020-0010 both of which are the latest version. There is no combination where the AMP will ever see the a Sonos box in the setup menu. 

Totally broken. Any thoughts welcome. Sonos?

As a customer I’m very annoyed my system is completely broken and useless. For no good reason that I can see 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Works with Sonos is certainly broken with Sonos 10.5.1 and Pioneer firmware 1030-4010-1020-0010 both of which are the latest version. There is no combination where the AMP will ever see the a Sonos box in the setup menu. 

My Onkyo NR-585 just received a firmware update on November 14th (1050-9000-1060-0011). I’m also on Sonos 10.5.1 and have had no Works with Sonos issues since the update. Perhaps an update for Pioneer units is coming soon?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well I had to upgrade to a Port because of the old Connect being legacied out and It is working a lot better now where I can stop using my Samsung Smartthings workaround.  However I noticed with my previous setup and with the Port that if the Port is not the first device selected in the group when the group is created then it will not work.  For example I go to controller A and ungroup all my speakers.  Then I Choose my Port(LIvingRoom) and play something and it works.  I then add all other speakers and it still works again using any controller.  However if I remove the Port(LIvingRoom) from the group then add it back in at some point to the group it will not turn on my Onkyo.  For some reason it has to be the first speaker added to the group.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Pia-chan,

Thanks for the update! I checked this morning and no new firmware has been released for my Pioneer unit 1030-4010-1020-0010 is still the latest. 

so since the last Onkyo firmware your system detects the Sonos units and wakes correctly?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately unless Pioneer are not disclosing the firmware update makes no mention of Sonos changes

CHANGE HISTORY:

[1030-4010-1020-0010]
Improve the playability for certain WAV files.
Improve playback stability for FLAC files.

Userlevel 2
Badge

so since the last Onkyo firmware your system detects the Sonos units and wakes correctly?

Yes. It has been only a few days since the update, but everything is working as expected.

Well, given that they’re wired, it does seem hard to support any WiFi interference, doesn’t it?

I would suggest that it is not a widespread issue, given the dearth of posts about it, but then again I have no concept of how many installations that there are.

I would suggest that that your best bet at this point would be to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I am unsure as to whether a diagnostic would be useful, as it would only show what is going on on the Sonos side of the equation, and I still consider that to be a lower chance. But I’ve been wrong before. And will again.

If you get a resolution, I’d ask that you come back here and let us learn from your experience.

The last update from Onkyo fixed this. Been working on a consistent basis for 3 days, which is better than anything since I purchased the receiver in May of this year.

It does make me wonder how they’ve implented the feature so that it’s so dependent on their updates, but I’m glad you’re happy again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Pia-chan,

You’re lucky - no such luck here! 

Hi,

I have just read your note and I am also seeing a couple of issues with the Sonos/VSX-934 connectivity.

When I initially set up the 934 (last Saturday!) and configured the ‘Works with Sonos’ settings the auto-switchon worked perfectly. I noticed, however, that the volume on the Amp was limited on my Sonos connection (and on the display of the Amp it did say exactly that, i.e. the volume is limited for the channel that I’m using which is CD/Coax).

I then tried to change other settings on the Amp to try to get rid of the volume limitation. I have set all (that I can find) volume limits to be ‘off’, but I am still not getting full volume from Sonos. As part of my attempts to get the volume working I may have also changed other settings, including upgrading my Sonos system to 10.5. Now the auto-switchon isn’t working either, but I don’t know if this specifically stopped working when I upgraded the Sonos version - given the earlier posts that seem to point to the upgrade to Sonos v10.0 stopping ‘Works with Sonos’, it could be something similar.

Have you got the same issue that I have with the volume limit? I am investigating this as my priority because it only just gets to the minimum acceptable volume for me and I need to get rid of the imposed limit, but I can’t see where to do it. I have tried ringing Pioneer, and they haven’t answered the phone, and my retailer who I got the Amp off, and they are going to try to re-create in the shop over the next couple of days. 

I will let you know if I get any more information.

Badge
The latest firmware initially fixed the issue but it is broken again for me now. I have rebooted my router, sonos connect and Onkyo amp several times but the sonos is still not found.

I am hoping this gets fixed once and for all or I am just going to bin the Onkyo and go for something simple, it is not worth the hassle or getting shouted at by Wife.
Where you able to fix the issue? I recently purchased the onkyo tx-rx840 as well especially for the works with sonos feature, but it really is a hit or miss. Sometimes the receiver turns on and sets the correct input and plays correctly, other times it turns on, sets the input but does not play anything and other times it simply won't turn on. I tried to setup sono news, in the receiver as well, with no luck

Anyone managed to get a permanent fix on this? It is frustrating...
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is frustrating that they both advertise this feature and no support rep at either company has any idea about it and that it may be broken. I suspect the latest Sonos update is the issue. Are there any Sonos reps in these forums that can look into this for us?
strange, but there is absolutely no support for this issue! Hey Sonos!
Badge
I just got off the phone with Onkyo support and they finally acknowledged that the new Sonos 10.0 update broke the Works With Sonos Onkyo integration. They told me they had a few other similar calls about it and that they were going to escalate the issue and will roll out a new firmware in the future. No timeline was given and they told me to manually turn on and switch input for now. I am fine with that if it will be fixed eventually.

In the meantime I learned how to use IFTTT to integrate multiple Zwave and WiFi devices. I was able to place a widget button on my phone that will turn on the receiver and switch the input to CD via Harmony Hub and also start playing a specific Sonos Favorite list on a specific Sonos group at a specific volume level just by pressing the button widget. My next step is to somehow do the same by pressing the Play/Pause hardware button on the Lutron Caseta Audio Pico remote. If I can achieve this then it would be better than Works With Sonos because it would also turn off my Onkyo when I pause the music. I have been able to achieve this already by sending email alerts to IFTTT which in turn triggers multiple applets to achieve this. I just need to find a way to integrate Lutron Caseta Smart controller in. It is compatible with IFTTT but has no triggers on the Audio remote.

It's relatively easy to do with Home Assistant, although HA itself requires a bit of a learning curve and about a $40 outlay to buy a RasberryPi 3B+ so to run it. Once you get HA up and running on the RPi (or NAS or some other type of always-on home server), you can set a listener in HA that listens for a "state" change of your Sonos to "play". And once HA detects the state change you can have HA automatically trigger the Onkyo to turn on, change inputs (to CD or whatever input you use for your Sonos) and set the Onkyo to a specific volume. A similar listenser would turn the Onkyo off on a change of the Sonos' state to "pause".

In general, Home Assistant is super powerful . . . far more so than other solutions out there, and it can be operated without any cloud-based connections so to insure higher security than other solutions. If you are into home automation you really should check it out at: https://www.home-assistant.io/
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just got off the phone with Onkyo support and they finally acknowledged that the new Sonos 10.0 update broke the Works With Sonos Onkyo integration. They told me they had a few other similar calls about it and that they were going to escalate the issue and will roll out a new firmware in the future. No timeline was given and they told me to manually turn on and switch input for now. I am fine with that if it will be fixed eventually.

In the meantime I learned how to use IFTTT to integrate multiple Zwave and WiFi devices. I was able to place a widget button on my phone that will turn on the receiver and switch the input to CD via Harmony Hub and also start playing a specific Sonos Favorite list on a specific Sonos group at a specific volume level just by pressing the button widget. My next step is to somehow do the same by pressing the Play/Pause hardware button on the Lutron Caseta Audio Pico remote. If I can achieve this then it would be better than Works With Sonos because it would also turn off my Onkyo when I pause the music. I have been able to achieve this already by sending email alerts to IFTTT which in turn triggers multiple applets to achieve this. I just need to find a way to integrate Lutron Caseta Smart controller in. It is compatible with IFTTT but has no triggers on the Audio remote.

It's relatively easy to do with Home Assistant, although HA itself requires a bit of a learning curve and about a $40 outlay to buy a RasberryPi 3B+ so to run it. Once you get HA up and running on the RPi (or NAS or some other type of always-on home server), you can set a listener in HA that listens for a "state" change of your Sonos to "play". And once HA detects the state change you can have HA automatically trigger the Onkyo to turn on, change inputs (to CD or whatever input you use for your Sonos) and set the Onkyo to a specific volume. A similar listenser would turn the Onkyo off on a change of the Sonos' state to "pause".

In general, Home Assistant is super powerful . . . far more so than other solutions out there, and it can be operated without any cloud-based connections so to insure higher security than other solutions. If you are into home automation you really should check it out at: https://www.home-assistant.io/

I really appreciate the info. I am a software developer and am sure I can figure it out. Just needed the initial guidance. I will start reviewing Home assistant.
Badge

I really appreciate the info. I am a software developer and am sure I can figure it out. Just needed the initial guidance. I will start reviewing Home assistant.

As long as you're comfortable with YAML and perhaps a little Python you'll be more than good-to-go.
Badge
@bs49 - As long as you're comfortable with YAML and perhaps a little Python you'll be more than good-to-go.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I actually figure it out just with Samsung Smartthings Hub. The hub connects to my Sonos speakers and also to my Harmony Hub. I have an activity in my Harmony Hub that turns my Onkyo on and changes input to CD (Sonos).

I created an automation within Smartthings that when my Connect powers on it runs my Harmony activity. Then when my connect powers off it turns off the activity. The nice thing is that Smartthings uses the state of resume/play and pause as power on and power off. By doing this then I can use either my Lutron Caseta Audo Pico remotes or my iPort Xpress remote or any iphone/ipad to play sonos and as long as the connect is part of the group being played it runs the Harmony activities.

I first was able to achieve this using IFTTT because the Smartthings Hub could not find my sonos speakers but after doing some research I reserved a fixed ip address for each sonos device and used the Classic Smartthings app to find my Sonos devices. Worked like a charm.

I no longer need Sonos or Onkyo to fix the issue. It is actually better anyways because my onkyo now turns off when pausing sonos. With the integration the onkyo would stay on.

I’m having the same issues with the Onkyo TX-NR696. I’ve found that if I re-select my Port within the “Connected Device” topic of the “Works with Sonos” setting, I temporarily regain full functionality. It’s as if the receiver forgets with which Sonos device it’s supposed to be associated after some time. For what’s it’s worth, an onkyo tech support person recommended I return the device if I expected the works with Sonos function to work consistently. She said that the functionality was never “guaranteed” to work. What a joke…..  Could not believe that was their stance. I’ve been waiting for days for a higher up tech person to call me back. I’m not holding my breath....

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well I had to upgrade to a Port because of the old Connect being legacied out and It is working a lot better now where I can stop using my Samsung Smartthings workaround.  However I noticed with my previous setup and with the Port that if the Port is not the first device selected in the group when the group is created then it will not work.  For example I go to controller A and ungroup all my speakers.  Then I Choose my Port(LIvingRoom) and play something and it works.  I then add all other speakers and it still works again using any controller.  However if I remove the Port(LIvingRoom) from the group then add it back in at some point to the group it will not turn on my Onkyo.  For some reason it has to be the first speaker added to the group.

HI Bs49, how does the system work with zones?

Can you change zones played thru sonos port via the onkyo app on the fly? (assuming you can't do this via the sonos app).

Also, I read you can have up to 3 ports connected to the onkyo receiver. Does this mean you can associate each one with different zones (main, zone 2, zone)?