Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I bought my arc and one SL pair from Costco. 18 months ago. It looks like I can still return them for refund. I’m doing that.  I’ll only have to sell my sub since I bought it elsewhere.  It’s a pity because every thing worked beautifully until it didn’t.  

Mission accomplished.  
praise Costco.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Honestly, Sonos has really dropped the ball here and the latest reply from @Corry P is an extremely carefully worded response that seems to have been run through legal. The reply is designed to cover Sonos from all angles without committing to a fix or acknowledging the widespread nature of the issue. Thus allowing them to indefinitely kick the can down the road. This is not how a company should respond.

Even though I was advised I would hear back from Sonos after my discussion with an L2/L3 engineer a month ago I have not heard a thing. Calling in over and over again does nothing for those of us who have already escalated the issue with Sonos and have not received a response.

Does anyone think that this might be a hardware related issue and not just software related hence their inability to fix the issue in software. It might explain the careful wording of the response from @Corry P. 

Badge

People have a problem with Atmost sound on the Sonos Arc as early as 2020 …

Apple TV 4K non-Dolby Atmos content has continual audio cutting out/in issues after playing Dolby Atmos content.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

People have a problem with Atmost sound on the Sonos Arc as early as 2020 …

Apple TV 4K non-Dolby Atmos content has continual audio cutting out/in issues after playing Dolby Atmos content.

diferent issue. it only affected certain LG TVs and was fixed with an LGTV firmware update

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I bought my arc and one SL pair from Costco. 18 months ago. It looks like I can still return them for refund. I’m doing that.  I’ll only have to sell my sub since I bought it elsewhere.  It’s a pity because every thing worked beautifully until it didn’t.  

Shortly following, I even bought a pair of One SL stands. Not sure what to do, heart says keep the darn system because of past consistency, mind says return the whole thing.

Just like many of you, I’ve had this issue since 14.6 - surround/sub delay, cutting in and out, etc. After many calls and diagnostics submitted , I finally managed to catch the delay live during open hours and hopped on the call with an agent. He verified diagnostics and finally , someone vocalized an error - stream underflow. His explanation was that sub and surrounds aren’t getting enough bandwidth to process data, hence delay. I took that with a grain of salt , as my network has been very stable prior and now (450 mbs download , 24 upload). Afterwards , agent recommended to change couple of router settings ( I have asus ax 11000) - IGMP snooping should be ON, beamforming ( universal and explicit) should be off. Because my arc is wired via Ethernet , I again took that with a grain of salt, but it’s worth a shot. So as a heads up to many of you experiencing this issue , next time you call in, ask whether your sub/surround have stream under flow error and play around with your router settings. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Shortly following, I even bought a pair of One SL stands. Not sure what to do, heart says keep the darn system because of past consistency, mind says return the whole thing.

It’s sad but I always vote with my wallet. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Just like many of you, I’ve had this issue since 14.6 - surround/sub delay, cutting in and out, etc. After many calls and diagnostics submitted , I finally managed to catch the delay live during open hours and hopped on the call with an agent. He verified diagnostics and finally , someone vocalized an error - stream underflow. His explanation was that sub and surrounds aren’t getting enough bandwidth to process data, hence delay. I took that with a grain of salt , as my network has been very stable prior and now (450 mbs download , 24 upload). Afterwards , agent recommended to change couple of router settings ( I have asus ax 11000) - IGMP snooping should be ON, beamforming ( universal and explicit) should be off. Because my arc is wired via Ethernet , I again took that with a grain of salt, but it’s worth a shot. So as a heads up to many of you experiencing this issue , next time you call in, ask whether your sub/surround have stream under flow error and play around with your router settings. 

Im not as smart as many of you, but you mentioned lack of bandwidth to process the data. I just happened to read this article:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-smart-home-set-up-3173448/

I know about the whole patent war between the two, but find it interesting the google claims Sonos is causing the inabolity of home devices from connecting to the Wifi. Really curious if there is something going on there that would help point to this issue if it real is a lack of bandwidth issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@PeeWeener - has it been stable since you made these changes?

For those in the UK who are seriously considering a refund, provided you can prove that the problem isn’t your fault, you have up to 6 years (with some exceptions) to claim a refund from Sonos or wherever you purchased from. 

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Does the sonos app tell you if the sub has dropped, does it vanish form the settings info?

No

Does the sonos app tell you if the sub has dropped, does it vanish form the settings info?

No

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

No. Always shows it as still connected.

It was stable last night , but it is to be expected, as resetting the router usually takes care of it for anywhere between couple of hours to 5 days ( the most it has been stable for me). I’ll keep monitoring it and submitting diagnostics. It usually starts with the sub developing an echo via ATV- once I hear that, I try to play Spotify and then surrounds and sub fall completely out of sync. I have played with every possible setting on Sonos app and have now resorted to modifying router settings: change from auto wireless channels to dedicated ones ( 1 for 2.4 ghz, 48 for 5ghz), while sonosnet is on channel 6,  multi beam is on, air time fairness off, igmp snooping on, universal beamforming off. I also tried going wireless again, then tried plugging arc into regular LAN or dedicated 2.5 LAN - no luck there. Throughout the ordeal , nothing disappears on the Sonos app and network matrix has green for all 4 speakers. HDMI cables are 48gbs rated ( overkill) as my tv ( Sony x900e) only supports arc. Honestly getting tired of it, as I simply want to enjoy watching whatever and not paying attention to how sub is performing. 

The surrounds, assuming you haven’t wired them to your LAN, actually connect/communicate directly with the Sonos HT main player over an ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless connection, so that’s nothing to do with your router WiFi - you might just have a lot of interference around your HT or the surrounds. At least those were my first thoughts about the case you describe. I would look at what’s nearby and maybe using the 5Ghz band perhaps, or look for something that’s likely to cause interference?

Userlevel 2
Badge

An observation in regards to the possibility of this being a voice control software issue (CEC or related), I only have 2 Sonos speakers capable of voice control: the Arc and the Move.  The only speaker I have noticed having complete drop outs is the Move when I add it to the Arc group.  Do others that have this issue have other speakers in the main Arc group that have voice control capabilities (enabled or not)?

My setup is Arc + Sub (Gen 1) + 2 Play:3s.  I will sometimes add a Move to the group for listening in the kitchen.  It has the drop out problem.  Interestingly, I have 2 original Play:1s in there in stereo that do NOT drop out when added to the Arc group.  That is our current workaround. 

I just enabled Sonos voice control on the Arc and will test today to see if it makes a difference.

Enabling SVC on my Arc didn’t fix the issue.  The Move was still dropping out.  This morning I decided to setup voice control on the Move too since it actually did an update when doing this to the Arc.  I have now been stable for several hours.  It would drop out within an hour or less in the past.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Maybe there is a bug in the software for all voice control capable speakers that is fixed with the update that enables SVC?  Or, just enabling it bypasses whatever bug there is?  Grasping at anything at this point.

I tested 2 different Moves and a Roam, in the same physical spot connected to the ARC group, and they all had drop-outs within an hour.  2 days ago I replaced it with a Play:3 and I have had no drop-outs (except for the full system sound drop out I get once a day.)  This is after enabling SVC on the ARC.  For me, at least, it appears to be Sonos model specific.  All of my other speakers are first gen.

I tested 2 different Moves and a Roam, in the same physical spot connected to the ARC group, and they all had drop-outs within an hour.  2 days ago I replaced it with a Play:3 and I have had no drop-outs (except for the full system sound drop out I get once a day.)  This is after enabling SVC on the ARC.  For me, at least, it appears to be Sonos model specific.  All of my other speakers are first gen.

This too might be interference as the older Play:3 uses the 2.4Ghz band whereas the Roam can use the 5Ghz band which is also the band that the Arc uses to communicate with its surrounds, so it maybe more WiFi band specific rather than product model specific, perhaps 🤔?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

The surrounds, assuming you haven’t wired them to your LAN, actually connect/communicate directly with the Sonos HT main player over an ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless connection, so that’s nothing to do with your router WiFi - you might just have a lot of interference around your HT or the surrounds. At least those were my first thoughts about the case you describe. I would look at what’s nearby and maybe using the 5Ghz band perhaps, or look for something that’s likely to cause interference?

As I pointed out in a previous post, if this is a network issue and we are all seeing it specific to our Sonos devices,  isn't it curious that at the same time, Google is accusing the Sonos systems of messing up network for home devices?

Userlevel 2
Badge

This too might be interference as the older Play:3 uses the 2.4Ghz band whereas the Roam can use the 5Ghz band which is also the band that the Arc uses to communicate with its surrounds, so it maybe more WiFi band specific rather than product model specific, perhaps 🤔?

If different models have different features or characteristics that make them more susceptible to the problem then it is model specific in my mind.  Anything that helps us narrow it down and get closer to the main issue for most people. It also gives me a workaround so I don’t have to deal with the issue on a daily basis.

If it is just wifi interference it still started for me the day my system updated to 14.6.  In that scenario what in that update made it more susceptible to wifi interference on the 5Ghz band?  Nothing else here changed.  (As a programmer I know how dangerous those words are 😟)

My Sonos speakers have been rock solid for 10 years.  I was shocked when I first heard the out of sync sound.  That had never happened before on my system.  It hasn’t stopped happening since that update either, no matter what I try to do to solve it (other than swapping out speakers of course.)

Part of the update process is the speakers rebooting, which causes them to ask for new IP addresses from your router. If the router is in a “bad state” and handing out duplicate IP addresses, then your speakers will be compromised due to that. That’s just one scenario. There’s also outside influences that affect wifi, as suggested in the wifi interference FAQ. 

There’s no “it’s just one thing” fix to some of these issues, from what I can tell. There’s a wide variety of reasons why a particular symptom may be displayed. Sure, it’s easy to blame a software release, but if Sonos has, as they have, that they’re unable to duplicate that issue, it’s up to us, as users to give them examples, by submitting diagnostics and telling them about them.

As some may not know, just submitting a diagnostic does no good, it’s explained in Diagnostics - How do they work? thread that you must tell Sonos the number of the diagnostic, and why you’ve submitted it, so they know both to look, and what to look for. Many people in this thread have done that already, I honestly don’t know if everyone has or not.

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

Im not as smart as many of you, but you mentioned lack of bandwidth to process the data. I just happened to read this article:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-smart-home-set-up-3173448/

I know about the whole patent war between the two, but find it interesting the google claims Sonos is causing the inabolity of home devices from connecting to the Wifi. Really curious if there is something going on there that would help point to this issue if it real is a lack of bandwidth issue.

I can’t see any relation to the issues reported here and the issue reported relating to smart device setup on Google Pixel phones.  Google is being rather vague here, but it sounds as though Google is saying they had to change their code because it infringed on Sonos patents….and the new code  (Google’s code) isn’t working correctly so it’s Sonos fault.

That’s not meant to be a statement on the issue this thread is about in one or another, just that it seems extremely unlikely that the Pixel phone issue is related to this in any way.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Part of the update process is the speakers rebooting, which causes them to ask for new IP addresses from your router. If the router is in a “bad state” and handing out duplicate IP addresses, then your speakers will be compromised due to that. That’s just one scenario. There’s also outside influences that affect wifi, as suggested in the wifi interference FAQ. 

There’s no “it’s just one thing” fix to some of these issues, from what I can tell. There’s a wide variety of reasons why a particular symptom may be displayed. Sure, it’s easy to blame a software release, but if Sonos has, as they have, that they’re unable to duplicate that issue, it’s up to us, as users to give them examples, by submitting diagnostics and telling them about them.

As some may not know, just submitting a diagnostic does no good, it’s explained in Diagnostics - How do they work? thread that you must tell Sonos the number of the diagnostic, and why you’ve submitted it, so they know both to look, and what to look for. Many people in this thread have done that already, I honestly don’t know if everyone has or not.

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

I would be curious to know what your equipment is in each Arc group and whether you have Voice Control enabled. Info from people NOT having this issue is as helpful as those who do. If you haven’t already, please consider filling out the spreadsheet with your system info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

With most of the normal Sonos issues calling in and going through their troubleshooting usually fixes it long term.  I don’t think that’s happening with this issue.  As far as I know even those who have made it to Level 3 Engineering are still stuck in the process waiting for a resolution.  I certainly don’t envy Sonos trying to troubleshoot a problem that they can’t reproduce.  Those are always the worst.

I would be curious to know what your equipment is in each Arc group and whether you have Voice Control enabled. Info from people NOT having this issue is as helpful as those who do. If you haven’t already, please consider filling out the spreadsheet with your system info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

With most of the normal Sonos issues calling in and going through their troubleshooting usually fixes it long term.  I don’t think that’s happening with this issue.  As far as I know even those who have made it to Level 3 Engineering are still stuck in the process waiting for a resolution.  I certainly don’t envy Sonos trying to troubleshoot a problem that they can’t reproduce.  Those are always the worst.

I went ahead and added to your spreadsheet, although I don’t get the issue, and I doubt my info is useful,  as my setup is rather uncommon, but it’s there.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I went ahead and added to your spreadsheet, although I don’t get the issue, and I doubt my info is useful,  as my setup is rather uncommon, but it’s there.  

Actually, it just led me to the HD Fury Arcana page and I’m really close to buying a new toy. That’s helpful, right?  😉

Edit: It may actually be helpful since some have suspected CEC.  The Arcana may mitigate whatever CEC issue is there for you, if there is one.