Question

Ever decreasing volume output on PlayBase

Badge
When I first installed PlayBase the normal volume setting on TV was between 25 and 30. The volume emanating from PlayBase has been steadily decreasing over time. To match the previous output level I now need to set TV volume at 85 to 95. I've made no changes to settings on either, the Sonos Playbase or the Sony TV set.

What to do? There isn't much more room to go up on the TV volume settings and it's already on the quiet side for music listening. Is there a way to test if all speakers/drivers are stil working?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

You shouldn't be having to deal with the volume settings on the TV at all. I'm fairly sure that there's a setting in most Sony TVs to set the audio output to "fixed" rather than "variable". That change would provide a constant level source to the Playbase, and allow you to use that system to control the volume. I suspect that would fix your issue.
The OP multiposted. Sonos (Ryan S) is on the case.
Thanks, ratty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The OP multiposted. Sonos (Ryan S) is on the case.

Yep :)

He's also got an email ticket in with the team. We'll be taking a closer look at everything.
Glad to hear it. While setting the TV output to fixed is half the issue, it doesn't explain the decreasing volume on the Playbase. Unless there's some sort of system to avoid overpowering the speaker....but that still doesn't make any sense.
Badge
[Sorry about the multi posting - didn't realize I had to switch ad blocker off to see Replies on this site.]

Manny S asked elsewhere: 1. Is the low volume happening with TV or music playbacK? 2. Is the volume consistently low, or does it increase?
1. Using PlayBase only for TV playback. Sound source is either TV directly, or my own music via Apple TV connected to TV set.
2. PlayBase volume output doesn't "jump" up or down. It's just getting consistently lower day by day.

Equipment:
Apple TV 4th generation, connected to TV via HDMI cable;
Sony Bravia XBR-55X850D, optical audio out set to "Auto 1" which I believe transmits 5.1.
As far as I can tell, optical is always Fixed volume.
Thanks, Rysz. Let's see if we can isolate the issue a more. Would you mind testing streaming audio through the PLAYBASE? The Sonos app has a built in music service named Tune In built in. Can you play a station from this service and raise and lower the volume? Does the audio sound the same as when you're playing from the TV? After testing Tune In, please submit a diagnostic to us using the instructions here and post the confirmation code that's generated. We'll compare the new diagnostic to the one you posted previously.
Badge
Test done and diagnostics report submitted.
You need to post the number of the diagnostic here, generally speaking. Makes it a lot easier 🙂
Badge
I added it to my support ticket. Sonos techs know it.
Ah, great. Sorry to butt in.
Badge
No problem. Appreciate you keeping an eye on a newbie!
Badge
I've been using PlayBase only with TV sources, so this did not occur to me. When I tested PlayBase yesterday and today with TV off and using only streaming sources and controlling PlayBase volume thru the Sonos app on iPhone, the issue with low volume still persists and is still gradually getting lower. To emphasize, TV and TV remote controllers are not involved, but the problem is the same.

For background (i.e., quiet) music listening sitting in front of the PlayBase, I have to set the volume at about 70%. That doesn't seem right, correct? I conclude, therefore, that the issue is with the PlayBase unit itself.

My 45-day "refund' period ends tomorrow. I think I need to find out the steps required to send it back?
Hmmm. I'd concur with your assessment. But I also "think", based on the fact that you've already been in contact with the folks at Sonos about the issue, you'd be fine. Just work through the process with them, from all reports I've ever seen on these boards, they have excellent customer service. I hope your issue is resolved soon, as it really is an outstanding system.
Badge
Yes, I started the Return process to lock it in before the 45-day period runs out, but I have 14 days to actually send it back (or not). I intend to wait on tech support feedback.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Rysz,

It appears the money back guarantee process has been started under reference number 170526-001421. Keep an eye on your e-mail for any next steps regarding the return or let us know if you have any questions.
Badge
I have received all the info. As stated, I'm giving tech support a chance to resolve the issue without having to return it. Waiting to hear back from them.

BTW, I'm really very pleased with the support and attention received from Sonos support so far. Thanks!
This fix worked for me! (Samsung TV + Humax FreeSat box)

I've been having the same issue with my new playbase (owned for one month now) and I would have to increase the volume on my Samsung TV to 75 to achieve an acceptable sound level. When I first installed the playbase the TV volume was fine set to level 10.

THE FIX:
Set the volume of the FreeSat box to the maximum level (50 in my case).
Turn the TV volume down to ZERO.
Switch OFF the FreeSat box, wait 10-20 seconds and switch back on.
Gradually increase the volume of the TV from level Zero until an acceptable level is achieved (level 10 in my case)
Hopefully everything should sound great at a much lower TV volume level now!

This worked for me and will hopefully benefit others! 🙂
I've been using PlayBase only with TV sources, so this did not occur to me. When I tested PlayBase yesterday and today with TV off and using only streaming sources and controlling PlayBase volume thru the Sonos app on iPhone, the issue with low volume still persists and is still gradually getting lower. To emphasize, TV and TV remote controllers are not involved, but the problem is the same.

For background (i.e., quiet) music listening sitting in front of the PlayBase, I have to set the volume at about 70%. That doesn't seem right, correct? I conclude, therefore, that the issue is with the PlayBase unit itself.

My 45-day "refund' period ends tomorrow. I think I need to find out the steps required to send it back?
. I have the same issue. Additionally, I find this blog very difficult to follow.
I have the same issue. Additionally, I find this blog very difficult to follow and can’t make heads or tails as to who is actually from Sonos and who is not.
The folks from Sonos have “Sonos Staff” next to their names. For instance, look at Tyler M’s post above.
So I don’t see a solution to this problem provided by anyone from Sonos???
My diagnostics conf # is 8200167
Often, the issue needs to be addressed on a one by one case. There are a raft of problems that might have the same symptoms, particularly when it comes down to individual TV manufacturers. In many cases, it's just a matter of setting the audio out on the TV to fixed, rather than variable, and not using the TV's remote to change the volume, but instead the remote for the Sonos device. In other cases, it's a possible stuck button on a device, that's sending a signal to the system to reduce the volume. Or, remotely, it could be a problem in the software. Which is extremely unlikely, but not out of the question completely.

But you're posting on a Sunday afternoon, and also on a day where the majority of Sonos folks who monitor these boards might actually be evacuating their homes due to fires in California. I think it you were to wait, perhaps 24 or 48 hours, you'd be much more likely to get a response. Or better yet, avail yourself of one of the other methods of communication, as defined by clicking on "Contact us" at the bottom of this page. While I think the majority of board monitors are in Southern California, I don't think that's the case for all methods of contact, although I'm not 100% sure about that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The best thing if you're running into this issue would be to give us a call on our support line. As Airgetlam suggested, our community team is largely based in California, though we're breathing smoke and ash, the team is largely ok right now. We have phone, email, and social media support out of almost all of our offices. So though the later in the US shift is a little light handed, our teams around the world are pitching in to help out.