Answered

Atmos Not Working On My Arc

• 8 October 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

I just recently got my Sonos Arc to complete my setup. My current Setup is a wall mounted Sony A9G ,Sonos 1 (2x), Gen 3 Sub and Sonos Arc.I tried to google what streaming services support Arc so i can see what this Sonos Arc can really do. I found some movies on (Netflix, Disney Plus) but I don’t see “Dolby Atmos” on my app. So maybe i’m doing something wrong? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.  From some vids I found in YT I “should” be seeing “dobly atmos’ in my app. 

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 5 November 2020, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

On a quick Google it seems that your TV supports Atmos on the TV's internal speakers.  It isn't clear that it will pass through Atmos to an external speaker. I'm not sure what the position is but I think you should clarify what you can really expect.

jnew402,

It not quite clear from your post, but to view/hear movies with Atmos audio on Netflix you will need to subscribe to their premium plan. I mention that just in case you are subscribed to one of their basic plans.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Youtube does not support anything other than Stereo sound. So, you will not be seeing Atmos from Youtube. 

As for Netflix: as @Ken_Griffiths stated, you must subscribe to their premium (most expensive) plan to get Atmos content. 

Userlevel 1

On a quick Google it seems that your TV supports Atmos on the TV's internal speakers.  It isn't clear that it will pass through Atmos to an external speaker. I'm not sure what the position is but I think you should clarify what you can really expect.

Yea my tv has an erac and I have it plugged in correctly. I upgraded my Netflix to the 4K subscription today. Something strange happened I looked in my app it said Atmos for like 5 seconds and went away and the sound cut off. I switched the audio to PCM and sound works but no Atmos. The movie I had on Netflix supports Atmos. Idk

Userlevel 1

Youtube does not support anything other than Stereo sound. So, you will not be seeing Atmos from Youtube. 

As for Netflix: as @Ken_Griffiths stated, you must subscribe to their premium (most expensive) plan to get Atmos content. 

Yea I understand YT doesn’t support Atmos; I was looking for some help on fixing it from a YouTubers  video 

I too am having the same trouble. New Sony Atmos TV with eARC HDMI connected to Sonos Arc. DD+ 5.1 comes up in system info when playing an Atmos movie on Disney+ or Netflix but no Atmos logo in Now Playing section of app. Any ideas?

Userlevel 1

I too am having the same trouble. New Sony Atmos TV with eARC HDMI connected to Sonos Arc. DD+ 5.1 comes up in system info when playing an Atmos movie on Disney+ or Netflix but no Atmos logo in Now Playing section of app. Any ideas?

I’m not understanding! It worked 1x for a few seconds and then stopped. I will try to unplug my arc maybe? idk what’s going on

Userlevel 1

Ok I THINK I figured it out from this video.

Anything being streamed (Netflix UHD, Prime Video, Apple TV etc)  will be need “compressed”.

And anything coming for a physical source (UHD Dvd player) will be “Uncompressed” 

So since i’m using streaming services in UHD the sound output on my TV and my Sonos App needs to be “compressed”. So I went to my TV options and selected compressed audio. Then in my Sonos App: Go to the Gear in bottom right: Select System; Select Audio Compression: Select Compressed”

Once I did this my Atmos option worked fine. So I assume once I watch movies on my 4k dvd player i’ll need to change to “Uncompressed” 

Userlevel 1

Ok I THINK I figured it out from this video.

Anything being streamed (Netflix UHD, Prime Video, Apple TV etc)  will be need “compressed”.

And anything coming for a physical source (UHD Dvd player) will be “Uncompressed” 

So since i’m using streaming services in UHD the sound output on my TV and my Sonos App needs to be “compressed”. So I went to my TV options and selected compressed audio. Then in my Sonos App: Go to the Gear in bottom right: Select System; Select Audio Compression: Select Compressed”

Once I did this my Atmos option worked fine. So I assume once I watch movies on my 4k dvd player i’ll need to change to “Uncompressed” 

@Gilz 

The audio compression setting in the Sonos app relates only to analog line in. It has no relevance here.

Userlevel 1

The audio compression setting in the Sonos app relates only to analog line in. It has no relevance here.

I changed it on mine and now my atmos is working and showing on my app.

Hey, that YT video really helped. The trick appears to be turning off my Sony TV eARC setting which now makes Atmos work, confirmed in the app. Great, thanks vm for your help. Next problem is the TV works but the Roku Ultra stick I have doesn’t. Also Disney+ says it is streaming Atmos eg Star Wars movies but Sonos app doesn’t confirm. Something to do with Covid downgrade in quality to help bandwidth for wfh. Need to investigate more. 

I changed it on mine and now my atmos is working and showing on my app.

I am pleased for you but it had nothing to do with this setting. 

I've got a sony a9g w/ and arc and I'm having the same issue, but with Disney plus only. Netflix atmos works perfectly every time and is confirmed on the sonos app. Disney comes up as dolby 5.1 plus. Has anyone found a fix for this? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sixxeight.

Thanks for reaching out, and for your detailed post, let me help and check it for you.

I’ve found this helpful thread about the same concern and it seems that this is a known issue with Disney+.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/disney-plus-and-no-5-1-6839035

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Thanks for the reply. This thread leads to the same place I've come to on this issue.

It seems that the native sony tv app for Disney+ may not support atmos at this time. Netflix works perfectly for atmos so it must be something with the app, whether it's on Sony or Disney's end. 

My next work around is to try downloading the app on my ps4 and see if that will pass thru atmos. 

Atmos works with Tivo Stream 4K on Vizio P65-F1 TV.

tcl 65r635. arc. using eArc hdmi from tv to speaker. one sl surrounds. 

wanted to mention...i see people struggling....i find i only get and keep atmos on disney by setting tv output to DD+ DTS...yet passthrough output seems to work for netflix and vudu and keep atmos. still trying different combos. but the tv audio output setting needs changes per app from what i see. and disney app has an issue. so i am always passthrough to start then go to DD+DTS when needed. no way around this so far. good luck. m