Question

Disney plus and no 5.1

• 16 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a 1 year old, quite high specs, Sony TV with the Disney plus app installed. I have disabled Dolby Digital Plus via the TV settings so that the signal is automatically converted into plain Dolby Digital by the TV. However my Playbar only receives a stereo sound. All other streaming apps (Netflix, Prime, etc.) have no issues. 

Any idea why? I tried to search previous discussions here with no luck.

Thanks 

Fabio

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Have you checked to see if there are audio settings for the Disney Plus app? Since all other apps are working with Sonos, it’s not a Sonos issue, so there has to be something ‘different’ about the Disney app.

I have the same problem with my Sony XG9505 - doesn't seem to be a Sonos problem though, since it also happens with my Logitech system. It's either a problem with the app for Sony TVs, or it's due to the fact, that they're restricting the streaming bandwidth because of Corona. I tried streaming via my phone and the integrated Chromecast, but that didn't work either. If you find a solution, let me know ;)

I just tried watching it on the same TV with my PS4, which is also connected with an optic cable. I now got 5.1, so it seems an issue with the Disney+ Sony app!

Fabio

Yeah I tried this as well and it works, but unfortunately there no support for HDR (even though the PS4 is quite capable of it).

True. And there isn’t 4K support either I think?

On the standard PS4 there isn't, but there is on the Pro :)

My problem is just the other way round.

I have a Google Chromecast connected to a HDMI switch
From there i am connected to

• my TV (hdmi) and
  • the Sonos beam (toslink) with 2 Sonos One Satelites.

When I use Netflix I cannot hear the beam but the rear sound from the 2 Sonos One
When I force Netflix to use stereo I can hear the beam (but no Sonos One)

When I use Disney+ I have the same experience liek Netflix in standard mode.
But I canot not find the setting where I can force Dissney+ to use stereo and behave like Netflix.

If enforcing stereo is the wrong approach w shall I do?

This seems to be a known issue.  For whatever reason Disney does not have very good support across app platforms for Dolby Digital (which Playbar requires since it’s over Optica), and instead favors Atmos/Dolby Digital Plus.  For some reason, the Apple TV and PS4 Disney+ apps are able to output Dolby digital 5.1, but for whatever reason the Android TV app, and apparently other smart TV apps, end up not being able to.  

I was on with live support chat with Disney+ yesterday, and the person confirmed it’s a known issue, with no time frame given for a fix.  I would be surprised if it’s ever actually fixed.  Support for optical audio connections seem to be disappearing from everyone (both hardware and software).