Skip to main content

Hey all. I have a 2020 Vizio V-Series (V585-H11) that has eARC, a Sonos ARC, and a 16” 2020 model year Macbook Pro. My question is: has anyone been able to output Dolby Atmos (and Vision) content from a MBP to their tv using a usb-c to HDMI adapter? And if so, which exact adapter did you use?

Hi @gjimenez007, welcome and thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. We appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. 

The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. Not all TVs have HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC, so check your TV’s user manual to see which HDMI connections you have. The table below shows which physical connections are required for Dolby Atmos compared to other home theater audio formats.

As per checking your MacBook Pro supports Dolby Atmos. Getting Dolby Atmos audio can also depend on the physical source device playing the content. In most cases the TV will re-encode the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1. I’d recommend reaching out with Apple to check for settings and configuration on how it will work with your TV to produce Dolby Atmos.

We can also wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Thanks for your reply! I’m glad to know that in theory it is possible to send atmos from my mac. As I said, my Sonos Arc is connected to the eARC hdmi input in my tv and I have been successful sending atmos audio from Netflix and the Apple TV app. The thing is I have a USB-c hub that has an hdmi port but when I connect it to the tv and verify Audio Midi Setup in the Mac, it is only sending 2.0 stereo audio. This leads me to believe that there are specific types of USB-C to hdmi converters that are able to send the proper bandwidth to include dolby vision/atmos data to the tv in order for it to passthrough to the sonos arc. I have not been able to find a specific USB-c to hdmi dongle/adapter that allows this but would appreciate any suggestions if anyone in fact has been successful doing so.