Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Somehow they made it through a second week. I don’t think Sonos are going to do anything. Sad times, RIP Sonos ☠️

This may seem like an overly simplistic thought (I’m full of those) but… if I moved my Sonos Music Library to the main internal hard drive of my iMacs, will that negate the SMBV1,2,3 issue and restore my ability to use my system? The nagging concern is the appearance of “access denied” when trying to use the Sonos desktop controller. Installing the iPhone update appears to have infected my entire Sonos world. Except for my Samsung TV.  I wonder when that will go tits up.

The main stream media are starting  to notice The Sonos fiasco: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/ 

The main stream media are starting  to notice The Sonos fiasco: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/ 

Just another blasted pay wall 😝

Has this bloody crappy app not been remedied yet? Sonos, seriously, do you want to piss everybody off to the point they seek alternatives.

From my side? I've barely used my system since this "update". It's unusable!

This from the failed AMA session - worth re-posting.  Thank you Bsw3  >>»

Can you please explain to me how I am supposed to trust the leadership of this company? 

the last week has seen:

-an app marketed as “better” remove core functionality without telling us. 

-a chance to receive and review feedback and still sending out promo emails saying the app is better when the consumer base is saying it does jot fulfill user needs. 

-a statement praising the company for the release and gaslighting the users who do not like it. 

-a statement outlining the dates at which features will be reimplemented meaning you were aware you were marketing a less functionally capable app as “better”

-a timeline of “months” to restore core functionality meaning that from the first promo emails on April 23 you knew that the the app would be functionally inferior to what we already had. 

-an announcement of an AMA seemingly in response to the overwhelming negative feedback

-a failure to host the AMA on a host actually capable of facilitating the conversation 

-a stunning lack of participation from the admins 

-PR speak in response to the most committed customers voicing legitimate complaints. 

frankly, the Sonos app launch was a failure. the response has been condescending, patronizing and flat out insulting. 

^^^
This from the failed AMA session - worth re-posting.  Thank you Bsw3 for your insightful post. 

As I continue to try and use this godforsaken app you’ve redesigned, it is astonishing to me how many basic features you have screwed up. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving…kicks squarely between the legs.

My newest discovery? You can’t ADD music to a queue. You can only replace the queue. Because, why would anyone possibly want to do that?

I mean at this point, what’s the use in piling on? Sonos clearly is in over their heads. Dedicated customer for 14 years, and the level of disdain SONOS seems to have for me and thousands others like me is beyond belief.

Surely the answer's pretty simple... Have the sheer balls to admit "We f**ked up big time", roll back to S2 as an "update" and work behind the scenes to get it right?

Surely the answer's pretty simple... Have the sheer balls to admit "We f**ked up big time", roll back to S2 as an "update" and work behind the scenes to get it right?

Why they have not just rolled back to the older app is absolutely beyond me. Hard to tell where in between arrogance, incompetence, or fear of Legal liability this perplexing decision lies

Another awesome treat I discovered today. Sonos shows me as having my Plex account connected, which is right now the only way I am able to access my local library. However, despite re-authorizing Plex, it shows zero content at all through that media source.

has loss of Plex support also been thrown into the blender of crap that you guys are spinning over there?

Why they have not just rolled back to the older app is absolutely beyond me. Hard to tell where in between arrogance, incompetence, or fear of Legal liability this perplexing decision lies

Probably because they are launching headphones shortly that require the app. 

Profits and executive bonuses get the priority in Sonos land. 

Yet that’s the short-sighted thinking that got Blackberry into the landfill.  Oh that’s right the current CEO was at Blackberry before Sonos.  What could possibly go wrong? 

But what's the point in launching headphones when they've got a husk of a system? I'm guessing I'm not alone in advising others to avoid the update like the plague!

Yet that’s the short-sighted thinking that got Blackberry into the landfill.  Oh that’s right the current CEO was at Blackberry before Sonos.  What could possibly go wrong? 

lol so true. This is such a massive self inflicted wound and it’s getting worse day by day. 

Roll back this broken version ASAP.

Somehow they made it through a second week. I don’t think Sonos are going to do anything. Sad times, RIP Sonos ☠️

ROLL IT BACK

Someone above posted this: “So am I the only one who read this about local music libraries, which is the point in question here (see below) - this was widely discussed here in the community too… I had notifications/emails as well, long before the new App was released.”

I got THE single email on May 2nd that in part reads:

We want to let you know that in the upcoming months, Sonos will no longer support streaming audio files from HTTP and SMB1 local music libraries on S2 products.”

Later in that same email:

“Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system. This article will show you how to add your music library using the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.”

Honestly, when I received this, I read the entire thing. I also honestly didn’t think I had an SMB1 local music library because I had no stinking idea what SMB was.  I was ignorantly blissful and figured that whatever was going to happen wasn’t going to effect my simple little setup. I know that I’m not alone in my assumptions.

What’s shocking is that they would remove this type of functionality and use technical terms to describe it, which the vast majority of people do not understand.

I am reasonably tech savvy, and I couldn’t tell you whether the Mac mini and raid five hard drive I have connected to it would still play as it always has.

it’s also unethical, if not illegal to remove that type of core functionality from what is a hardware product with software supporting it. I don’t have the option of going with some kind of software that will allow the most basic of functionality, connecting to a server to access files through standard protocols.

I wrote a post about a class action lawsuit, and there are tons of others up here. Honestly, I would really love to hear from somebody who is going to round up a whole bunch of us who are more than willing. I would imagine to file a lawsuit. I am about $8000 in hardware over 14 years. It’s not an exaggeration to say that I now have to worry about selling them to people who won’t want them to go buy other speakers to rebuild my home stereo system

From CEO Patrick Spence:

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

OH this is NOT new, it’s from May 2020 from the last major debacle.  Did Pat learn anything as all?

Time to pull the band-aid off and show him the exit!  

From CEO Patrick Spence:

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

OH this is NOT new, it’s from May 2020 from the last major debacle.  Did Pat learn anything as all?

Time to pull the band-aid off and show him the exit!  

LOL, you got me. This is from May 2020!? Jesus christ. I’m out

Have the moderators shown back up in this topic channel since they originated it, lol?

Who would have thought that with one executive decision / software update Sonos has been consigned to the ranks of MiniDisc and tape decks... In the timing of a heartbeat.

This is bigger than we imagine! CEO level positions are about to be lost and evolutionary multi room systems resigned to the analls of history....

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who finds the so-called app “update” unsatisfactory!  Latest debacle for me with it.  Not telling me that a component had to be updated.  The “updated” app just told me it was disconnected, not why or that it needed updating!  The only way I figured it out was to look at my wife’s legacy app, which told me the Port I have needed to be updated via the wrench symbol.  Of course I was also forced to update her app, so that workaround is now done.  Thanks Sonos!!! Not!!!

Why did you guys take a simple app and make it overly complicated in addition to not even doing what it did before?!  No wonder your stock has been sucking lately.  Did you even bother to Beta test it?  You guys really need to get your crap together!  Not like this the first time an update bombed for you either… Sad…

Have the moderators shown back up in this topic channel since they originated it, lol?

Only to edit and delete posts 

A clear explanation about Smb. V1 removal and its implications is going to be needed 😎

Explanation will be that SMBv1 is no longer secure, some truth in this as the software industry are removing or planning to remove the use and support of it. Not denying its annoying, understand the risks are marginal on a local network and not defending how this has been managed by Sonos, but there will need to be a move SMBv2 or 3. NB: The iOS update has caused my sonos devices to longer be connected, so me no happy either!!!

I work in tech and if I pushed out an update to my apps that was missing major capabilities and wasn’t backwards compatible knowing that many of my customers just autoupdate their apps, and I had no timeline that I could even tell them when they’d get their feature back, I’d be fired… I hope someone at Sonos gets fired over this.

I have seven of these speakers that are now just paperweights unless I run up and down stairs to my PC while I await the return of local library support in the mobile apps. I will never buy another product from this company.

I will also never update the app again until I read the forums first to see what they broke. :(

Pathetic customer service.