Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

…...

I am not, repeat NOT changing my NAS just because some smart arse developer has a brainstorm 😠

On Synology NAS it's 2 clicks away. Search for SMB in the settings and set the minimum requirement to SMBv2 and you're done. I assume, that this works on other brands in a similar way. SMBv1 is vulnerable and afaik Windows or MacOS do not provide v1 out of the box for some time now. Sonos was far behind the curve ...

Hi, Ken… There’s so much activity in here now I almost missed this part of your previous post: “The point in case there, is likely because the library shares (http etc.) are still available for the S2 Desktop Controller App(s) - I read it as that App will go too "in the coming months’.”

Is this true? Sonos will be killing the S2 desktop controller?  When I was trying reinstall S2 (before you provided me with the download link), I only saw “Web App”.  Talk about security risks.

IMHO, if Sonos kills the S2 app completely, after pissing off so many people, it won’t bode well for them considering the other audio technology barking at their heels.  Heck, less than a year ago, I upgraded my surround Play 1s for Fives.  And, at this point in time, I can only utilize them for TV/movie streaming.

Upgraded to the new S2 app and am having issues with simple things. Although I don’t find the app navigation intuitive I suppose I’ll eventually get used to that. However:

•  the music sync between rooms seems poor, sound not quite aligned across the speakers
  •  skipping a track takes time to cascade across all speakers in the group so a few seconds of different tracks playing on each speaker (frequent and annoying issue)
  • app has frozen a couple of times preventing track or volume change. Delete and re-install has restored functionality each time

No other changes to the setup other than the app update so assume that’s the cause. 

In light of recent posts, I guess I’ll throw in my thoughts as they pertain to the May 2nd email where Sonos addressed this  “...Sonos will no longer support streaming audio files from HTTP and SMB1 local music libraries on S2 products.”  So, ignorantly, I assumed that this warning didn’t apply to my simple configuration of storing my Music Library on a USB-connected SSD drive.  When I hear NAS from anyone, I’m usually told (and a friend at the gym recently conveyed this to me) it’s a stack of hard drives arrayed in a metal rack and looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.  In addition, not knowing the acronym “SMB1” led me to believe that I was exempt from this warning.  I now know that I was/am wrong.

What is the USB drive connected to? - if it’s a PC, you might be currently using an http share anyway and if it’s a Windows PC, you ‘may’ be able to use the SMBv2 (sharing) protocol instead as mentioned in this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/adding%2Da%2Dwindows%2Dsmb%2Dshare%2Dstep%2Dby%2Dstep%2D6892060

Hi, Ken… Thanks for your replies. The drive is connected to our iMac via a simple USB cable. I’m the Sonos user in the house and, I don’t stream via Spotify or anything else to my Sonos system. I’m a Music Library guy: MP3, FLAC, AIFF...etc.  Period. Yeah, I’m a dinosaur but, it works for me. I don’t see how my USB drive would be open to security issues but, again, I’m not network savvy. I enjoy simple when it comes to my music.

I’m not a MAC OS user, but if you read the link/steps from @press250, their post explains what needs to be done for Windows. I guess a similar thing applies to the MAC PC that’s if the OS supports the sharing protocol of SMB v2 or higher - older PC’s tend to only support SMB v1 or http shares, which are considered these days, to be security risk.

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/smb-protocol-explained-understanding-its-security-risks-and-best-practices

Hi, Ken… There’s so much activity in here now I almost missed this part of your previous post: “The point in case there, is likely because the library shares (http etc.) are still available for the S2 Desktop Controller App(s) - I read it as that App will go too "in the coming months’.”

Is this true? Sonos will be killing the S2 desktop controller?  When I was trying reinstall S2 (before you provided me with the download link), I only saw “Web App”.  Talk about security risks.

IMHO, if Sonos kills the S2 app completely, after pissing off so many people, it won’t bode well for them considering the other audio technology barking at their heels.  Heck, less than a year ago, I upgraded my surround Play 1s for Fives.  And, at this point in time, I can only utilize them for TV/movie streaming.

That’s what I’m thinking here @SlamDesi. The PC/Mac desktop Apps have been in ‘maintenance’ mode for a very (very) long time receiving no new features. They cannot be used to manage a system too. So yes I’m guessing it will go ‘in the coming months’ - users can use the Web App in its place - I can’t see it being obsoleted though before the (munch discussed) ‘missing’ features are restored back to the mobile Apps.

I have tested this and can confirm that you can’t see your local music library without internet access.

Tested as follows:

1. Disconnect router from internet (physically unplug the cable)
  2. Confirm my Wi-Fi is still up and devices are connected to it, including my iPhone
  3. Confirm my NAS is accessible by connecting to it from my iPhone
  4. Open new Sonos app - only thing that shows in My Sources is the line-in to my Sonos amp. No music library, even after waiting 5-10 minutes.
  5. Open desktop app on my Mac and confirm I can browse my music library and play music
  6. Close new Sonos app on iPhone
  7. Re-connect internet cable and re-open new Sonos app on iPhone - music library now present under My Sources.

I’m on the latest version of the Sonos app and the systems are on the latest firmware. This sucks…..

Yeah this is the behaviour I’m seeing. But it might be a bug as the Library disappears periodically when there is a connection 

From the communications I have seen I believe this is the future “desktop” solution.

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

This also explains why our speakers are “exposed” to the web.

From the communications I have seen I believe this is the future “desktop” solution.

Wow. That’s what I was faced with last night after Ken sent me the download link and was able to reinstall my S2 desktop controller.  All went back to as it was before I ignorantly agreed to update my S2 controller upon the auto-prompt although, the phone connection is still jacked up.  Prior to that, I installed the “Web App.”  Talk about security risks.  It’s almost as if Sonos is exposing their users to more risks, not fewer.  This is looking worse from what these posts are uncovering.  What a total cluster.

Wow. That’s what I was faced with last night after Ken sent me the download link and was able to reinstall my S2 desktop controller.  All went back to as it was before I ignorantly agreed to update my S2 controller upon the auto-prompt although, the phone connection is still jacked up.  Prior to that, I installed the “Web App.”  Talk about security risks.  It’s almost as if Sonos is exposing their users to more risks, not fewer.  This is looking worse from what these posts are uncovering.  What a total cluster.

I think, or at least I hope, that it will not be as bad as we are speculating. The issue here is the lack of information being shared and the general arrogance of the Sonos staff. The AMA was a waste of 3 hours of my life and only served to increase my concerns.

From the way many of the posts are written, there are a lot of OT professionals here and the dismissive tone and lack of respect from Sonos creates the impression, for me at least, that there is a lack of experience in their development team.

Whilst I don’t think that will actually be the case, that is the conclusion that, for me at least, explains their behaviour. If I knew less (about IT) I would be less worried.

The new app is complete garbage.  Frustrating as hell.  Its completely ruined the product experience.

I have tested this and can confirm that you can’t see your local music library without internet access.

Tested as follows:

1. Disconnect router from internet (physically unplug the cable)
  2. Confirm my Wi-Fi is still up and devices are connected to it, including my iPhone
  3. Confirm my NAS is accessible by connecting to it from my iPhone
  4. Open new Sonos app - only thing that shows in My Sources is the line-in to my Sonos amp. No music library, even after waiting 5-10 minutes.
  5. Open desktop app on my Mac and confirm I can browse my music library and play music
  6. Close new Sonos app on iPhone
  7. Re-connect internet cable and re-open new Sonos app on iPhone - music library now present under My Sources.

I’m on the latest version of the Sonos app and the systems are on the latest firmware. This sucks…..

Yeah this is the behaviour I’m seeing. But it might be a bug as the Library disappears periodically when there is a connection 

I don’t think it’s a bug. The music library re-appeared when I reconnected my internet. And I don’t have any problems with it disappearing. The only thing I do see is occasionally it takes a few seconds to appear under My Sources after I start the app. That’s an issue with the new app - the desktop app on my Mac never has any issues seeing the local library.

@Corry P (or any other Sonos staffers) - could you advise, please.

So, I made one last attempt to adjust File Sharing on the USB drive. I accessed the SMB setting and am attaching a screen shot of that. It failed before and after restarting the iMac.  Then I thought “Well, I may just have to use the Desktop Controller (S2) to play music in the adjoining room where my Sonos gear is set up. Total failure. I restarted again. Failed again.  Wow.

So, I unchecked the SMB connection as it apparently didn't work. Glad I checked the Desktop Controller.  I'm dead in the water.

I haven't upgraded to the new mobile app. My firmware is also old, yet the new webapp is working for me also. So Sonos moved my service to the cloud even though I didn't consent to upgrade the app or make my system remotely accessible.

Just posting this here for posterity:

The new Sonos app has caused me to purchase:

• Alarm clocks for my and my kids bedrooms. (We used to use local radio stations through Sonos for alarms in the AM.  No, the kids aren’t allowed to take their phones (if they have them) to bed at night.
  • Android devices to attempt to install the old app, and make the products I purchased usable
  • *Pending* Ubiquiti firewall/gateway for my APs so I can put this horse-dung product on its own vlan

Bang up job, Sonos. 

I haven't upgraded to the new mobile app. My firmware is also old, yet the new webapp is working for me also. So Sonos moved my service to the cloud even though I didn't consent to upgrade the app or make my system remotely accessible.

Scary

What have you done Sonos? You have in one fell swoop rendered my entire music system almost unplayable. I uploaded my large collection of around 500 cds to a NAS and created multiple playlists to listen to my music collection. After updating my controller all of the NAS functionality has  disappeared and my playlists have completely gone. This is borderline criminal as I invested thousands of pounds on your speaker system SPECIFICALLY so I could play my music collection from a NAS. I am incredibly disappointed that you have removed almost all of the NAS functionality. Please, please, please tell me how I can roll back to the previous S2 app. Thank you. 

The recently played section will not let me load my personalized Apple Music stations.  Every time I try to select it from the recently played section, it says “Something went wrong. Try Again.”, but I can load the station from my favorites and under Apple Music.  I’d like to be able to utilize the recently played section to jump around different music genres, without having to search for each in my favorites or elsewhere.

This is the same with Amazon Music aswell. Also, you cannot pin anything from Amazon music to the home screen

What have you done Sonos? You have in one fell swoop rendered my entire music system almost unplayable. I uploaded my large collection of around 500 cds to a NAS and created multiple playlists to listen to my music collection. After updating my controller all of the NAS functionality has  disappeared and my playlists have completely gone. This is borderline criminal as I invested thousands of pounds on your speaker system SPECIFICALLY so I could play my music collection from a NAS. I am incredibly disappointed that you have removed almost all of the NAS functionality. Please, please, please tell me how I can roll back to the previous S2 app. Thank you. 

My NAS - Western Digital EX2 - works fine. Check the settings on the NAS to ensure SMB 2/3 is active. It appears the older SMB 1 - easily hacked - was disabled.

Have you carried out the latest firmware update? DON'T! It permanently removes SMBv1 access from your NAS. You need a NAS with smbv2/3..

Going back is futile if you've done the firmware update! 

A new update was released that has alarms enabled in S3.

But it takes some work to make it work:

1. You need to use a Sonos favorite to listen to music with the alarm.
  2. Delete all Sonos favorites and recreate them. S2 favorites do not work. You can tell because they have no images
  3. Do Settings - Manage - Alarms
  4. Add an alarm
  5. For Music, select a newly created favorite (I used a SiriusXM favorite)

Worked for me.

Was there no QC? Did beta testers not find all these issues? Did management decide to do it anyway? Someone should be fired.

Where is the public apology from Patrick and the BOD????

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Hi,

I'm a developer and I just don't understand how did you manage your new app publication with so many functionality regressions.

You should have waited to finish implementing the most essential elements before releasing your new version. I have a feeling something weird was going on under the hood with the dev team that you didn't tell us.

Anyway, I reinstalled the old app with aptoide and I advise all unhappy users to do the same.

Good luck to the devs for the * they're going to face, certainly because of management decisions that went wrong somewhere.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Unfortunately, Aptoide is not available for Mac user yet.

The recently played section will not let me load my personalized Apple Music stations.  Every time I try to select it from the recently played section, it says “Something went wrong. Try Again.”, but I can load the station from my favorites and under Apple Music.  I’d like to be able to utilize the recently played section to jump around different music genres, without having to search for each in my favorites or elsewhere.

This is the same with Amazon Music aswell. Also, you cannot pin anything from Amazon music to the home screen

What I have found is the S2 favorites do not work in S3. Try to create a new favorite and see if that works.

Many customers slowly built/expanded their Sonos home stereo systems SOLELY because of a set of PARTICULAR features that Sonos delivered (I have 13 speakers incl an Arc and the sub, for instance). I've been using Sonos for 10 years and, after year 4 or 5 years, I abandoned my old, expensive high-fidelity sound system because of the "flexibility features" Sonos offers, and the sound quality of Sonos is very good (with constant EQ adjustments).If, say, that when Sonos first hit the market it had 20 features and 10 of them were important to me, which compelled me to purchase their product (note that there were 10 other features that were NOT important to me). Let's call this the S1 era.Over time, Sonos adds another 15 features and I use/enjoy 5 of the new features, but the other 10 are NOT important to me. So now we have 35 features of which 15 are important to me and 20 that are NOT important. Let's call this S2 era.For the latest app revision, Sonos adds 5 more features and NONE of them are needed or important to me. So, in this scenario there are now 40 features, and 15 are important to me. However, in this last release Sonos suddenly REMOVES 10 of the 15 important/favorite features from my 13-speaker music and audio ecosystem!!! Adding INSULT to INJURY, Sonos says they were courageous in their radical changes to the Sonos system features!!!It's like buying a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home w a 2-car garage and, overnight, the home you bought with hard-earned money became a 2 bedroom, 1 bath home w no garage, but it's got lots of bells and whistles on it that you don't need!!! As the saying goes, it's like someone peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. Just disgusting.The ARROGANCE of Sonos management, and DISMISSIVENESS of it's long term, loyal customers and evangelists is appalling. Sonos was successful early because of customers like me. It's growth now seems dependent on appealing to a broader market of mainstream users who want easy and flashy, verses a feature-rich product that requires a learning-curve and intelligence to enjoy. I see a market opportunity for the latter products, unless Sonos works hard to maintain its power-user customers

My NAS - Western Digital EX2 - works fine. Check the settings on the NAS to ensure SMB 2/3 is active. It appears the older SMB 1 - easily hacked - was disabled.

In regards to “It appears the older SMB 1 - easily hacked - was disabled.”… Can I get a show of hands WHO among everyone posting has been hacked through their Sonos system?!!?  A non-existent problem, for me anyway, was “fixed” - and not in a good way.

For those asking why SMB 1 was abandoned, it is a huge cyber security vulnerability.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/stop-using-smb1/ba-p/425858