Using the iOS App and the phone at the same time

• 16 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Discovered a misleading prompt.  I was helping my dad by long-distance call to install a new speaker, but the install process always failed with a prompt that some other app on the install device was using Apple Airplay, and that we’d have to turn that off to continue.

But no other app was using Airplay.  Ever.  Even restarted the phone.  Maddening.

Turns out, because I was on the phone talking to him on the iphone’s speaker during the install, guiding the installation, that the phone call itself was the culprit.  That us using the iphone’s speaker during the set up was somehow blocking the setup process from hearing the coded sonos chime.  After telling dad to do the setup process by himself, after hanging up the phone call, only then was there success.

I suggest a prompt edit to add that in addition to some other app “using airplay” the prompt should also say “or the phone’s speaker and voice input is being used by an active phone call.”  Would have saved us from pulling out all our hair . . . .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ricdaw 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for reporting this - clearly an assumption has been made that results in an incorrect message being displayed.

I’ll pass this back to the relevant teams. Thanks again!