Sonos S2 ReFresh (80.00.08) Perceived Issues_Don't Signal the End of Your Sonos Enjoyment

Show first post

71 replies

I agree - but still, I believe that 90% of the users do not even care, if they notice at all

If their music play is hampered they would notice surely? Assuming that they use their kit to listen to music. Or are 90% of users not getting affected by this chaos?

Well, you and I see chaos but others do not. Even here in this forum there are several people describing how everything still works for them. Other users I know also tell that they have not paid attention to it.

Strange but true :)

Oh two people on the forum plus a guy you know. Your numbers definitely add up 🤣

Well, you and I see chaos but others do not.

When the Washington Post picks up the story of the chaos and runs an article on it, it is not longer a small hiccup affecting a few.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I agree - but still, I believe that 90% of the users do not even care, if they notice at all

If their music play is hampered they would notice surely? Assuming that they use their kit to listen to music. Or are 90% of users not getting affected by this chaos?

Well, you and I see chaos but others do not. Even here in this forum there are several people describing how everything still works for them. Other users I know also tell that they have not paid attention to it.

Oh two people on the forum plus a guy you know. Your numbers definitely add up 🤣

To my surprise, what there is, in the latest update, works for me. 

It's a horrible interface visually, horrendously non-ergonomic, laggy & overall a Dog's Dinner, but works. 

So much missing, so much needed to redesign. 

Got to be one of the worst apps of the last 20.years.  Overall score is minus 5.

Just sayin'

😝

Userlevel 5

Look, I’m not happy about Sonos’ behaviour but I saw 4 years ago how people felt cheated, argued a lot on this forum, and claimed that they would leave. But many stayed - and I have seen new people stepping into the Sonos world since then, some of them inspired by the IKEA-collaboration and the cheaper way of getting in.

Of course, I do not know all Sonos users personally and I cannot know what they all think, but many people just see these devices as something simple that they cannot get too upset about, and they tend to do nothing. Over time, perhaps, but not as an immediate response. The immediate reactions are for us who had more thoughts about the value of the system and feel that this has been lost.

I am not going to say “told you so” or “oh, I was wrong” some day - I may keep an eye on Sonos but will just let it run its on game, as I am no longer part of it. Can they be successful with what they do, then it is fine with me - will they close, fine with me too.

My sense of the situation right now is that the devices still sell in the shops, they are still being claimed to be great and of a high standard by the sellers, and people will still buy them. Many existing customers may wait a bit to see what comes of out the current promises, but they will find it too much of a reaction to sell off all their Sonos gear. They hope for the better. That is the easiest.

As with everything that can boil up in some forums, there are many people who don’t even know about this - people who do not today have Sonos or do not use it very much, or, indeed, use it in a way that still works. People who roll back the update, if they can, or use the desktop apps instead of the mobile app. Or use the system as an Airplay endpoint or similar, where they don’t even need a Sonos app.

It would be nice if Sonos would get scared of all the fuss and because of that change direction and let their main focus be customer satisfaction, but I have seen no sign of that - not now and not at earlier occasions. Instead, they have learned from history that they can do anything and still keep their customers.

Hence, the presumed 90% to seemingly not care about the problems.

“Got to be one of the worst apps of the last 20.years.  Overall score is minus 5.”

like I said 2 people on the forum ….. 🤣🤣🤣

The last 4 posts demonstrate quite well that there are a few users who are only here to pile on, due to some perceived slight against them (or their former sock puppets) by Sonos and/or the posters here.  Especially apparent in the person who doesn’t even use the Sonos app, never mind the S2 devices, yet comments constantly.  

People are allowed a different view than yours, boys.  Them not having the same problems you have (or that you read about because you aren’t even running S2) doesn’t take away from your experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Strange but true? 

I read, heard, saw somewhere that somebody had been told by somebody else that there was a rumour about a rumour that the App install procedure includes a special AI algorithm which when activated induces a state of altered reality in the user such that they don't even know the app has changed! 

Strange but utter nonsense

😝😜😛

Look, I’m not happy about Sonos’ behaviour but I saw 4 years ago how people felt cheated, argued a lot on this forum, and claimed that they would leave. But many stayed - and I have seen new people stepping into the Sonos world since then, some of them inspired by the IKEA-collaboration and the cheaper way of getting in.

Of course, I do not know all Sonos users personally and I cannot know what they all think, but many people just see these devices as something simple that they cannot get too upset about, and they tend to do nothing. Over time, perhaps, but not as an immediate response. The immediate reactions are for us who had more thoughts about the value of the system and feel that this has been lost.

I am not going to say “told you so” or “oh, I was wrong” some day - I may keep an eye on Sonos but will just let it run its on game, as I am no longer part of it. Can they be successful with what they do, then it is fine with me - will they close, fine with me too.

My sense of the situation right now is that the devices still sell in the shops, they are still being claimed to be great and of a high standard by the sellers, and people will still buy them. Many existing customers may wait a bit to see what comes of out the current promises, but they will find it too much of a reaction to sell off all their Sonos gear. They hope for the better. That is the easiest.

As with everything that can boil up in some forums, there are many people who don’t even know about this - people who do not today have Sonos or do not use it very much, or, indeed, use it in a way that still works. People who roll back the update, if they can, or use the desktop apps instead of the mobile app. Or use the system as an Airplay endpoint or similar, where they don’t even need a Sonos app.

It would be nice if Sonos would get scared of all the fuss and because of that change direction and let their main focus be customer satisfaction, but I have seen no sign of that - not now and not at earlier occasions. Instead, they have learned from history that they can do anything and still keep their customers.

It’s a fair take and you might be right that 90% of the people either don’t have problems or care. But Sonos has millions of customers so whatever the % affected is a pretty huge number and it’s clearly a really big problem for them. 

Userlevel 5

The last 4 posts demonstrate quite well that there are a few users who are only here to pile on, due to some perceived slight against them (or their former sock puppets) by Sonos and/or the posters here.  Especially apparent in the person who doesn’t even use the Sonos app, never mind the S2 devices, yet comments constantly.  

People are allowed a different view than yours, boys.  Them not having the same problems you have (or that you read about because you aren’t even running S2) doesn’t take away from your experience. 

Yes, I agree - and since I was so disappointed by Sonos that I returned the newly bought device, I will not use the app anymore and should stop worrying about it. This may then be a good time to leave the debate. I hope that all of you who keep using the app will see solutions on your problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s a fair take and you might be right that 90% of the people either don’t have problems or care. But Sonos has millions of customers so whatever the % affected is a pretty huge number and it’s clearly a really big problem for them. 

There's probably a huge number who have no idea about this forum, and are sitting out there wondering why their musical alarm clock no longer works!  Those who have turned up with a NEGATIVE contribution outnumber the POSITIVES by about 99.9 to 0.1 (estimate only).

😁😂🥊🥊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“I’m having a terrible time with the new app, and everyone I know is too.”

Is the same as:
“I’m not having any problems with the new app, and I’m sure no one else is either.”

No one knows for sure.  That being said, I hate the new app and all of the friends and family I’ve talked into getting SONOS have texted or mentioned to me that the new app is simply the worst thing they’ve ever used. My neighbor went back to just using Spotify and Bluetooth “because I don’t want to wrestle with a computer or have to find my laptop to play music...”

Haters will agree.  Fanbois will disagree.  I hope all the fanbois run out and buy the headphones though, because even people that were mildly disappointed in this debacle sure aren’t going to line up and give their money away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sonos have committed the sort of error that shuts companies.

They don’t understand their users and their own purpose. Sonos believe they are in the computer business. They aren’t - their customers buy the hardware and the app is just a mere enabling component - Sonos are in the Audio business. 

It’s astonishing that they have lost sight of their users so badly that they think this type of action is justified by the release (I’m guessing) of a piece of peripheral hardware (Headphones) that most users won’t buy…..

The clock is ticking… I have 15 pieces of hardware.that, had I not been able to roll the app back, would now be on EBay 

I would argue that they’ve decided to move from the Audio business into the “Sell User Data and Analytics” business.

Clearly they’re looking to flex all of their user’s usage and habit data.  It’s not enough that Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple Music, YouTube Music, and all the rest do that. Sonos needs a piece of the action.

I would argue that they’ve decided to move from the Audio business into the “Sell User Data and Analytics” business.

Clearly they’re looking to flex all of their user’s usage and habit data.  It’s not enough that Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple Music, YouTube Music, and all the rest do that. Sonos needs a piece of the action.

Except Sonos’ privacy policy states unequivocally that they do not, nor ever will, sell your user data.  Statements such as this, when violated, are subject to massive fines from the FTC (Facebook was recently fined $5 Billion).  I highly doubt Sonos is going to risk their business on selling user’s data in violation of their own privacy policy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I highly doubt Sonos is going to risk their business... 

*gigglesnort

I know what you mean, but they’re haven’t exactly been risk-averse lately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Except Sonos’ privacy policy states unequivocally that they do not, nor ever will, sell your user data.  Statements such as this, when violated, are subject to massive fines from the FTC (Facebook was recently fined $5 Billion).  I highly doubt Sonos is going to risk their business on selling user’s data in violation of their own privacy policy. 

That's just 10 million new headphone sales.  Peanuts. 

I highly doubt Sonos is going to risk their business... 

*gigglesnort

There’s no risk. They just change the policy and they are good. 

*gigglesnort

There’s a big difference between bad business decisions and willfully breaking FTC enforced privacy laws. 

Not true at all.  But don’t let that stop you from posting your FUD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Depends is that US billion (1000 million) or imperial (million million)?  The second could be a problem 😁

what does this mean? Cause it says they can change the policy if they need/want to. 

Depends is that US billion (1000 million) or imperial (million million)?  The second could be a problem 😁

Why would you care?  You use LMS, so all this criticism of Sonos app is just you piling on.  It actually doesn’t affect you one bit, right? 

Why would you care?  You use LMS, so all this criticism of Sonos app is just you piling on.  It actually doesn’t affect you one bit, right? 

Sonos doesn’t collect aggregate data if you use a third party controller? 

what does this mean? Cause it says they can change the policy if they need/want to. 

Sigh . . . You need to research FTC regulations.  But I’m not getting into it with you. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

What is it about human nature that when faced with a situation where they have plenty of real issues to complain about, they like to dream up new things to complain about?  Is it because they just enjoy complaining?  Do they feel that others aren’t complaining enough so they want to provide more incentive?  Maybe they just want to see more harm come to whatever or whoever it is they are complaining about so that the offender get the damage they feel is deserved?

This seems to happen every where about just about anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

What is it about human nature that when faced with a situation where they have plenty of real issues to complain about, they like to dream up new things to complain about?  Is it because they just enjoy complaining?  Do they feel that others aren’t complaining enough so they want to provide more incentive?  Maybe they just want to see more harm come to whatever or whoever it is they are complaining about so that the offender get the damage they feel is deserved?

This seems to happen every where about just about anything.

In the absence of clear communication people start to speculate and the imagine the worst.