Skip to main content

Let’s cut to the chase. I paid a LOT of money on several SONOS products. When it works its great! BUT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!!

I know no other company of hi-end product that periodically issues updates that F something up - seriously.

SONOS…. GET your act together. This is NOT good. In fact it highlights the fact that something is really WRONG with your update procedures and/or testing.

I, like many others, use the library every day on a secondary HDD in my computer. Now, suddenly, it’s all gone. How incredibly frustrating this is. It’s not the fact that this is so bad (which it is...) but that this isn’t the first time a major screw-up has happened, and the worst is the WAIT until you decide to get your techs off their assess and issue a FIX - real quick! 

No, I’m not being overly harsh,…. I’m just a customer who wants some decent stability and QUICK resolutions when something goes bad…. is THAT too much to ask???

A quick search around the forum shows the following as the fix for error 913 - it’s  just a folder permission error on the PC…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.

Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…

1. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  2. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  3. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

Also see this earlier thread with screenshots…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

I appreciate your fix, but unfortunately, even though it shows it’s being shared...when I add it in the SONOS app, it STILL gives me the error 913.

Now what….?

This is what I mean. This should have all been carefully tested and indicated to owners of SONOS exactly WHAT to do and HOW to fix this.

Sorry to keep railing, but I have more than a dozen library folders, and this is taking up a lot of time right now….and STILL nothing…

BTW, It works from my NAS, but takes a long time to index all my tracks. THAT’s why I bought a secondary SSD as my 😨 drive in order to keep things fast and clean!

I appreciate your fix, but unfortunately, even though it shows it’s being shared...when I add it in the SONOS app, it STILL gives me the error 913.

Now what….?

This is what I mean. This should have all been carefully tested and indicated to owners of SONOS exactly WHAT to do and HOW to fix this.

Sorry to keep railing, but I have more than a dozen library folders, and this is taking up a lot of time right now….and STILL nothing…

BTW, It works from my NAS, but takes a long time to index all my tracks. THAT’s why I bought a secondary SSD as my 😨 drive in order to keep things fast and clean!

Dunno then, everything is working here for the local library share. If the issue persists then it maybe best to first reproduce the error, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

My experience of contacting Sonos sadly is just to waste time switching everything on and off and on. Sonos have created a miserable mess.

I have the same issue - and yes, its completely unacceptable. Everything worked fine for years - until the last update. Now I have no access to my music library with Sonos.

Sorry Ken_Griffiths while I appreciate your help in trying to solve this situation, it didn’t work for me.

As Topbrick1 and miataguy have already said, I had a perfectly usable and reliable system with access to my NAS drive at all times. Now I have my music library on NAS but no way of Sonos accessing it.

Are we all left stranded or could there be a resolution soon? I would be helpful to know what is going on...PLEASE!!

There is a workaround in this thread:

I tried it and I can now access my music library. Its a little clunky, but it works.

I know how to easily fix my Sonos problems.  I’m going to reinstall my wired Bose Soeakers so I can access my music library via iTunes.  I want to hear music not * around all day correcting folder permissions! 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

On this video I found the solution for me. Hope it works for the rest of you Apple users.

I used to love my Sonos set up… hate it now the new app F’d it up…still can’t get my move to connect with beam called tech support 90 minute wait, ridiculous!

im not very teky please fix this app.

Spent thousands of dollars to install Sonos. This has been a ludicrous experience with Sonos. They create a glitch with their update and music is suddenly inaccessible. The worst part is this was created several weeks ago and still no solution or update. The solutions offered above simply did not work. 

As a business owner myself, this is simply unacceptable. 

I also got error 913. Tried calling sonos UK but told 75 minutes wait time to speak to anone. Went on their online chat and was advised that sonos no longer support SMBv1 protocol and now only support SMBv2 & 3.

I didn’t understand what on earth I was supposed to do to correct this and was told needed to phone them so that they could remotely put it right for me. Whn I said it was a 75minute wait to speak to someone, I was told ummm sorry yes the wait time is a BIT long……..

Really poor service from SONOS !!!

I also got error 913. Tried calling sonos UK but told 75 minutes wait time to speak to anone. Went on their online chat and was advised that sonos no longer support SMBv1 protocol and now only support SMBv2 & 3.

I didn’t understand what on earth I was supposed to do to correct this and was told needed to phone them so that they could remotely put it right for me. Whn I said it was a 75minute wait to speak to someone, I was told ummm sorry yes the wait time is a BIT long……..

Really poor service from SONOS !!!

They announced this back in early April and it was widely discussed in the community here too and emails were sent out aswell. I’m not sure what else Sonos could have done. There were even notifications in the S2 App. See attached.

Hi,

Does anyone have a work around for th3 913 error code using Windows 10 please, I can’t find a share file in properties. All help much appreciated.

Also in response to Sonos’s customer services, since this update, I have been in contact with an escalation team member & the response i got was essentially a F##K you, that's a you problem, not an us problem, also I was told that I need to use Plex/Youtube or another paid for media sever subscription, which the whole point of my music, is that its on my sever not someone elses, that I have to pay them for the privilege to listen to, my music.

Obviously not what i bought £5k+ worth of Sonos products for, I was eagerly awaiting the headphones, it now appears I will not be buying anymore Sonos products.

Hi,

Does anyone have a work around for th3 913 error code using Windows 10 please, I can’t find a share file in properties. All help much appreciated.

Also in response to Sonos’s customer services, since this update, I have been in contact with an escalation team member & the response i got was essentially a F##K you, that's a you problem, not an us problem, also I was told that I need to use Plex/Youtube or another paid for media sever subscription, which the whole point of my music, is that its on my sever not someone elses, that I have to pay them for the privilege to listen to, my music.

Obviously not what i bought £5k+ worth of Sonos products for, I was eagerly awaiting the headphones, it now appears I will not be buying anymore Sonos products.

913 error…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.
  2. Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…
  3. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  4. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  5. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Hi Ken

I have tried all of the above several times and I’ve added SMBv2 protocol, but I am still getting error 913 when trying to re add my music library.

Yes sonos did advertise this, but no they have not helped all the customers who now cannot connect to their music libraries and their customer service is worse than terrible on this problem.

Hi Ken

I have tried all of the above several times and I’ve added SMBv2 protocol, but I am still getting error 913 when trying to re add my music library.

Yes sonos did advertise this, but no they have not helped all the customers who now cannot connect to their music libraries and their customer service is worse than terrible on this problem.

I think Sonos customer services are probably busy right now - I’m not sure why your library share isn’t working with the above - my own thoughts are to remove the path and try again, if it doesn’t work, then check the SMB version in your windows operating system - in fact switch off SMBv1, altogether if present …and then manually setup your own shared folder with a username and password and perhaps see if that resolves your issue. 

Just to add - also ensure your network security shows the PC as connected to a private network rather than a public one (it usually defaults to the latter in Windows).

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the above, which I have already worked through,  but as I said I do not have the option of share, when i right click on the folder for the music, as the attached pic shows.

At last I’ve fixed this issue. These are the steps I took:

changed protocol to SMBv2

Then in start menu, go to settings and then network & internet

go to, shaing options

under private,

turn on, network discovery

turn on, files and printer sharing

under all networks,

turn off, password protected sharing

Then type services.msc in search bar

click OK

Then right click each of the following and if not running, select START, then next to start up type select AUTOMATIC;

1. Function discovery provider host
  2. Function discovery resource publication
  3. SSDP discovery
  4. UPnP device host.

I did all these things then added my music library back to my sonos.

It worked for me, so hopefully will work for you

@Fatbloke556,

Note you are right clicking on a ‘shortcut’ in your screenshot .. goto the actual folder itself, rather than selecting the shortcut to it.

A quick search around the forum shows the following as the fix for error 913 - it’s  just a folder permission error on the PC…

1. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  2. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.

@Ken_Griffiths 
your prob. partial right.
I had a domain user permision on my SynologyNAS (sonos account) i had to ad a local NAS user with read permission to the folder and the rights to use the SMB program on the nas.
Badabing then it worked!

Hi Ken

Thanks for helping.

Even if I go into the drive & directly R/click the folder, I had still only got the same options form following these instructions. 

It was just easier for the screen grab & sending that image as I'd move to another laptop, to see if that would allow this illusive share option.

Hi Ken

Thanks for helping.

Even if I go into the drive & directly R/click the folder, I had still only got the same options form following these instructions. 

It was just easier for the screen grab & sending that image as I'd move to another laptop, to see if that would allow this illusive share option.

I suspect it maybe something to do with your Windows setup and network discovery/sharing - maybe checkout @lynfisk’s post above, if you’ve perhaps not looked into these things already.

On this video I found the solution for me. Hope it works for the rest of you Apple users.

This worked for me. Thank you for taking the time to create it. 

OK - i found the fix.  Ken’s answer below is the start.  But there is a second step.  This is for Windows PC (I don’t know about Apple products).  Follow Ken’s steps then after you add the Sonos to share, go back to the properties sharing tab.  Don’t do his step 3 yet.  Then click on the “Advanced Sharing” button in the middle of the dialog box.  Then in the upper left corner, check the box for advanced sharing.  Click Apply and close.  Then go to the Sonos app on your PC and add the My Music library.    It worked for me. 

I am VERY disappointed in Sonos’ tech help.  I even sent an email to the CEO (since they don’t give any other email addresses for help).  No one responded to calls, chats or email.  But I am glad we ca figure this out.

Good luck…let me know if this works for you.