Answered

Adding new devices to a system containing legacy devices

• 22 January 2020
  • 17 replies

With the end of software updates for legacy devices in May, will I be able to add new Sonos products to a system containing legacy devices. My experience is that when adding a new device a software update has always been necessary.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 January 2020, 18:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Yes, and therefore adding a new device will be at the cost of bricking all legacy devices. So it appears at this time, May will get more clarity.

What about when I change my phone (sonos controller) and have to load new software onto it ?  Will a new phone work with a Sonos system containing legacy components?

Again, no. Unless Sonos offers some workarounds in May.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Why would you ever buy Sonos again?  I won’t, despite being a very early purchaser and previous supporter of the technology.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

One could get or buy a legacy comonent from some friend, is one example. Will I be able to add this? What if I need to reset one component?

The FAQ about the end-of -life is obviously incomplete.

Yes, and therefore adding a new device will be at the cost of bricking all legacy devices. So it appears at this time, May will get more clarity.

Not true.  @Ryan S from Sonos has stated in the Announcement thread that you will be able to add new products to legacy systems.

Userlevel 1

As someone with over $17,000.00 invested in this system/equipment (to include high end 3rd party connected speakers to my AMPS). Upgrading is not an affordable option, I have 2 of the newer AMPS and 4 Play One’s with the remainder AMPS and Sonos speakers being legacy products. Which translates that my newer $2000 worth of Sonos products will no longer be updated after May as well, unless I separate the systems. What’s the point in whole house system if it is not whole house anymore?. THIS REALLY SUCKS! I’m selling off my equipment and moving on. I see no other viable option. Just awful….never seen this coming from Sonos. I’m praying that Sonos reverses this before I pull the trigger on this decision.

Not true.  @Ryan S from Sonos has stated in the Announcement thread that you will be able to add new products to legacy systems.

Where has he said this? Link please.

Where has he said this? Link please.

The main announcement thread, several times.  But I’m not going to look for it, that place is a cesspool.  I will @Ryan S here so he can be flagged to answer.  

I can't find it there, so till I am pointed to it, I have to say that what you say isn't true.

I can't find it there, so till I am pointed to it, I have to say that what you say isn't true.

So I’m a liar?  

As much as you said I was?

As much as you said I was?

Big difference between not knowing the truth, and deliberately posting falsehoods.  Search sucks at this site, and even when you locate a post, clicking on it brings you to the first post in the thread.  However, here’s excerpt from one of Ryan S’ posts on this subject, and you can clearly see he is answering that you can add new products to a legacy system:

His exact words in the quote above were:

You will be able to add products to your legacy systems. We'll have more to share on the experience come May.

Thank you for pointing this out. Unfortunately, his sentence is lost in the cesspool and is missing anywhere outside it, as far as I have been able see.

Note though that my sentence that you said to be not true was ambivalent in the first place, subsequently repeated in the same way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for posting that Kumar!

We’ll have more to share come May, but the legacy systems will still have the feature to add a player.

Note though that my sentence that you said to be not true was ambivalent in the first place, subsequently repeated in the same way.

Ambivalent?

Yes, and therefore adding a new device will be at the cost of bricking all legacy devices.  Or so it appears at this time . . . 

Really? You are better than this.  It was not true, and it did not appear that way, since Ryan stated quite the opposite. 

Thanks for posting that Kumar!

We’ll have more to share come May, but the legacy systems will still have the feature to add a player.

@Ryan S from some time after May new products being bought will come with versions after the legacy ones? How will these be added to a legacy system?