Answered

update 15.6 no volume control

Userlevel 3

Updated my app/system to 16.5 now I can’t control the volume on my iPhone. Infuriating 

any help would be appreciated 

icon

Best answer by craigski 26 July 2023, 11:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

• We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.
Userlevel 3

Ridiculous tbh. Can I roll back my software?

Sonos has never offered a way to rollback software. 

Userlevel 3

What a terrible decision to remove this functionality. Makes it convoluted to turn the volume up or down. 

As implied in the update notes, something forced by Apple. Not sure how to complain about it to them, though, Apple doesn’t  provide feedback boards with easy access like Sonos does, to my knowledge. 

And, for the record, I’m going to miss this feature too, I used it all the time. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It looks like Lock Screen controls have gone along with this too. 

They only worked sporadically for me, but looked great when they worked. It’s a real shame.

It’s a pet hate of mine when an update removes functionality, Sonos seems to be a frequent offender!

Ridiculous tbh. Can I roll back my software?

Even if we could rollback a firmware update, this would likely only be a temporary fix. Apple has a habit of making under the hood changes, or even removing feature support. Third parties must somehow respond to these changes. Some changes are mandatory or the App will be dropped from the App Store.

If you could rollback SONOS, you’d also need to stop updating your Apple devices. Unfortunately, the lack of updates might impact other Apps installed on your Apple device.

Userlevel 3

Oh well 

Booooooooo

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m curious - are the controlling features removed in 15.6 on iOS App ever/still available on Android devices?

Userlevel 1

I agree it is a totally bonehead decision to remove iphone volume button functionality from the Sonos app.  It was  way easier to change volume that way rather than having to use app slider buttons. So much for “improvements” with the latest app version!  Bring the app volume option back!

Complain to Apple, they’re the ones who forced Sonos to remove this.

I bet no one else has the feature, either. 

Userlevel 1

This is Apple’s scummy strategy of exclusively offering the very best functionality and connectivity for their own products. Apple doesn’t want you to use Sonos, they want you to use their product (HomePod). It’s the same with AirPods, Apple Watch etc. This might finally push me over to Android.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just a thought, possibly future iOS devices wont have ‘hard’ volume buttons, just a virtual slider, future planning by Apple to ensure Apps are ready for the new devices?

Userlevel 1

No, this is their way of making sure HomePod has the better functionality.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Rumors were the physical buttons are going away and replaced with a single solid state haptic button, who knows.

Userlevel 1

Even of this were true, forcing Sonos (and other third party manufacturers) to remove functionality from their app, for people who do not own the latest iPhone model, would be just as scummy.

First it got removed with Android, now with iOS.

Sonos, what’s the problem? All I hear is that you blame Google or Apple.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

First it got removed with Android, now with iOS.

Sonos, what’s the problem? All I hear is that you blame Google or Apple.

You'd better read the thread, before responding.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

2.5.9 Apps that alter or disable the functions of standard switches, such as the Volume Up/Down and Ring/Silent switches, or other native user interface elements or behaviors will be rejected. For example, apps should not block links out to other apps or other features that users would expect to work a certain way.

I’d imagine Apple has been annoyed with Sonos’ ‘hack’ that allowed this for some time, they finally are putting an end to it. But, based on what I read in these forums, that ‘hack’ worked for some, but not everyone. I was one of the fortunate few, I will miss it. But, as a developer myself, I understand the threat of rejecting the app as a pretty serious move by Apple. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I wonder if Apple have said anything specifically about the Lock Screen controls though? Or have they been removed because they seem to work so inconsistently?

My personal experience with Apple’s teams have been less than great. I’d be willing to bet they said ‘no more, we’ll block your app completely’, but of course I’m not a Sonos or Apple employee, so that is just a guess. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

My guess, something running on the lock screen could be a potential security risk, if the App running has a known or potential vulnerability. To avoid that risk, restrict thirdparty Apps running on lock screen?

Userlevel 1

I really, really liked this feature. It always worked on my devices. Please, Sonos try to find an alternate way to architect the feature according to Apple’s desires and bring back the functionality.