Answered

update 15.6 no volume control

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

My imagination says they’ll have just as much success as when Apple forced the removal of ‘on this device’ playback. 

Very disappointing development...

I wonder if Apple have said anything specifically about the Lock Screen controls though? Or have they been removed because they seem to work so inconsistently?

I think the latter. If Apple is so stringent about these lock screen controls and the option to use the physical iPhone buttons to change Sonos volume, then why is it still working in the S1 app? It also has been updated recently, and still functions with the lock screen controls. I somehow have the feeling pointing blame at Apple is not the full story here; Sonos removed it because they didn’t like the lock screen failing so often. 

This is Apple’s scummy strategy of exclusively offering the very best functionality and connectivity for their own products. Apple doesn’t want you to use Sonos, they want you to use their product (HomePod). It’s the same with AirPods, Apple Watch etc. This might finally push me over to Android.

I am so glad that I have an old Motorola phone by the bed to control volume. Better camera than my iPhone 11, too.

This is Apple’s scummy strategy of exclusively offering the very best functionality and connectivity for their own products. Apple doesn’t want you to use Sonos, they want you to use their product (HomePod). It’s the same with AirPods, Apple Watch etc. This might finally push me over to Android.

It might work in reverse too, folks who want hardware controls find a device that works with Sonos, and eschew Apple’s HomePod. To me, hardware controls are more important, certainly that evaluating the HomePod as a Sonos alternative.

I own a workout studio and have 7 play 5’s all volume used to be controlled through a remote connected to an IPAD,

that no longer works.

what workaround is Sonos providing, you can’t remove a feature and not offer an alternative solution,

im going to mess around with home assist but it’s far from a proper viable solution

I own a workout studio and have 7 play 5’s all volume used to be controlled through a remote connected to an IPAD,

that no longer works.

what workaround is Sonos providing, you can’t remove a feature and not offer an alternative solution,

im going to mess around with home assist but it’s far from a proper viable solution

I have already talked to Sonos support about a viable alternative, and they only point out that you can use hardware controls through airplay and Spotify connect. Kind of frustrating, cause then you can’t use the Sonos app. 

Ridiculous 😡

How come it does work when I play it from directly from the Spotify app and select my Sonos equipment as resource? Does Apple accept the feauture being used from other apps? I think this is strange. 

How come it does work when I play it from directly from the Spotify app and select my Sonos equipment as resource? Does Apple accept the feauture being used from other apps? I think this is strange. 

Apple doesn’t accept lock screen controls to play audio elsewhere than on its own device. Airplay streams the sound to other devices, yet the audio itself is stil being played on the parent Apple device. That’s why Sonos used the “trick” of playing an inaudible sound file on the Apple device while using the lock screen controls. Which is also why the controls failed whenever another app that plays audio got opened.

I however still wonder how Spotify Connect can still use lock screen controls, for afaik it doesn’t play the audio at the Apple device.

It is possible to control volume from the app using volume limit function. Not very responsive, but an alternative to fiddling with the buttons

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This really sucks.  Not only does it remove quick access to volume controls on an iPhone or iPad but also from an Apple Watch where it automatically showed up under “Now Playing” when you raised your wrist. 

And I am not going to give Sonos a pass on this and blame Apple.  Sonos is selling a premium speaker experience that relies primarily on smartphones to work. This is basic stuff they should be able to get right.  Removing functionality makes for a fundamentally inferior experience in that we have to go through several screens to get to something as basic as a volume control.

Then make it a better user interface.  Larger size, maybe arrow up/down on the app. I’m already annoyed with the lack of functionality of this app. It’s the only app I have connected to external hardware that loses its connection where I have restart the router.  Ring hardware, never had this, Wyler plugins, never.  Spend some money and invest in quality product design and testing. 

Because Spotify is actually a mobile device ‘audio player’, whereas the Sonos App doesn’t play anything, it’s merely a remote (control) for their speakers, which play direct from the source… so if using a player / airplay on your mobile and playing through the mobile you can use the lock-screen controls. Otherwise it’s probably best to use a Home Screen ‘widget’ as mentioned earlier, which does not need the iOS mobile to be unlocked.

Sonos just keeps going downhill. They takeaway the option to play music from your phone now they take volume control away. Whats next?

I’m sure Sonos is just as unhappy about this as we are. I cant imagine anyone there is excited about losing access to features people use. But it does seem fairly clear from the way the release notes were written that this is being forced on them. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Updated my app/system to 16.5 now I can’t control the volume on my iPhone. Infuriating 

any help would be appreciated 

It is a nice feature to have as I use it also instead of TV remote. I think right now, it is just removed from IOS seem not for this period. I wonder what this updates have improve on the sound quality ? 

Userlevel 7

Here’s a keyword that is part of Apple’s Commitment to it’s customers: SECURITY.

From Apple’s point of view it’s devices aren’t locked (secured) if an instaslled 3rd party app allows the user access to it (the 3rd party app) via the lock screen. To Apple that’s a potential vulnerability that could be exploited to gain access to a customers device if it somehow wound up in the hands of someone other than the owner.

Also, there’s the possibility of reverse engineering to re-write the code of a 3rd party app that has access via the lock screen for other nefarious explotations. Apple would rather Sonos users be upset than face a potential lawsuit for failing to secure the devices it sells as promised when behind a lock screen and not powered down.

Example:

TSA approved locks for luggage can still be opened by a TSA agent for just cause. So it turns out that the money you spent to secure your luggage with a lock isn’t really locked after all. Except to us noobs 😂

Basically, it was a SONOS hack that enabled the SONOS controller to use the Lock Screen. I’m sure that, as the innards of iOS changed, the hack needed to be adjusted. I can imagine that it became or will soon become impractical to continue with the hack. 

Userlevel 1

Then make it a better user interface.  Larger size, maybe arrow up/down on the app. I’m already annoyed with the lack of functionality of this app. It’s the only app I have connected to external hardware that loses its connection where I have restart the router.  Ring hardware, never had this, Wyler plugins, never.  Spend some money and invest in quality product design and testing. 

I agree! If we can’t have our easy-to-use volume buttons, then please Improve the dang functionality of the S2 app. It could use a top to bottom reorganization and optimization of its interface. I can adjust the comfort settings of our HVAC system more efficiently than I can control my music. Yes, you bet I’m embarrassed to be kvetching about this while there are so many monumental issues that our world needs to address, but please, at least we can cobble together a fix for this little fiasco. 

Userlevel 7

Basically, it was a SONOS hack that enabled the SONOS controller to use the Lock Screen. I’m sure that, as the innards of iOS changed, the hack needed to be adjusted. I can imagine that it became or will soon become impractical to continue with the hack. 

It appears you verified my thoughts regarding Apple security for the iPhone; hack or not. 🙂

If they remove existing features weather by choose or forced by apple they should be coming to the table with valid workarounds like a remote.

telling us to use AirPlay or Spotify connect defeats the purpose of the Spotify app.

ontop of the fact that AirPlay and Spotify connect are glitchy when using multiple speakers

benefit of the app allows for near seamless use of each service, Spotify, apple, SoundCloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could go for the IKEA remote, see https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-dirigera-sound-remote-with-hub-kit-gen-2-smart-white-s79536918/

Updated my app/system to 16.5 now I can’t control the volume on my iPhone. Infuriating 

any help would be appreciated 

Yup I wish it would tell you the update in details I should have came here now I’m pissed that my volume controls are even worse now

Because Spotify is actually a mobile device ‘audio player’, whereas the Sonos App doesn’t play anything, it’s merely a remote (control) for their speakers, which play direct from the source… so if using a player / airplay on your mobile and playing through the mobile you can use the lock-screen controls. Otherwise it’s probably best to use a Home Screen ‘widget’ as mentioned earlier, which does not need the iOS mobile to be unlocked.

The IKEA app still uses the side buttons to control the volume. I rest my case...