Question

Sonos only playing Spotify through Spotify app

• 26 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I have Sonos 2 and Spotify is one of my services. However I can’t access my Spotify playlists from the Sonos App. I can only play Spotify through my Sonos  if I go through Spotify directly. Is this normal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @suesea, thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Sonos community.  I appreciate your detailed post in describing the issue. Let me help you out with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can determine the path towards a resolution.

1. Did you check for the Spotify app software update?
2. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Spotify app.
3. Force close the Spotify app and re-open to refresh the connection. Were you able to play music?
4. Is turning off and on your mobile device make any difference?
5. Are you using an iOS or Android device? Have you tried using another mobile device if you will see the same result?

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have done all of the above. I am using IOS. I have spotify on my desk top Catalina v 10.15.7, my ipad v 12.4.8 and my iphone v 13.7. The issue is when I choose Spotify from Browse in Sonos it doesn’t look like it is syncing because I do not see my playlists. I can click the spotify icon in the upper right corner and go to spotify and get to my playlists, but then I am playing from spotify. Is that the way it is supposed to work??

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @suesea, thank you for your quick response and for letting us know that it's only on the Sonos app that you don't see the updated Spotify playlist.

Sonos is like remote control of your Spotify music service. Spotify pushes what you have in your account to be displayed on the Sonos app. 

Thanks for your patience while working through this. We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

To further assist you on this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device and perform some tests on the Spotify music service to isolate the issue. 

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

That is not the way Spotify/Sonos is supposed to work. If you go to “Browse” -> “Spotify“ and scroll to the bottom to “Your library” -> ”Playlists”, your Spotify playlists should show. Also, if you go to “My Sonos”, the Spotify playlists should show as well.

For some users the solution has been removing and re-adding the Spotify account in the Sonos app.

Sometimes sync from Spotify to Sonos happens almost immediately, at other times it may take longer.