Answered

Sirius connection unstable

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The Sirius connection has been unstable the past two days. Stream kept dropping intermittently throughout the day yesterday. Today it is continuous. Sometimes it comes back on its own.  But most of the time it has to be started. Multiple error messages result.

“Unable to play Real Jazz it is encoded using an unsupported digital rights management system”

”Unable to play the song is not encoded correctly”

“Unable to play the connection to SiriusXM Canada was lost”

Connection has always been reliable. 

Diagnostic #362697717

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 March 2022, 10:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DaDD 

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of this issue and are currently investigating it. Unfortunately, we have no ETA for a resolution, and at present, we have no workaround other than to use different sources.

If you can spare the time, we’d appreciate you getting in touch with our technical support team, who will take some details from you and incorporate them into our investigations. Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Called in to support to provide more details.  Service was stable later in the day yesterday.  Service is worse today, rarely being able to connect and only for a short time if successful before it drops.  Support said they are trying to determine if it’s user internet provider, user hardware, router related, Sirius or Sirius Canada related or geographically related.

My bet is on a Sirius side issue.

I suspect you’re correct. Unfortunate, because then Sonos has little or no control over the issue. They don’t ‘own’ anything until the stream reaches the speakers for playback. 

I also wonder of Sirius considers the Sonos folks as a valuable feedback point, since there is zero financial relationship between the two companies. I usually advocate for the actual person who is paying the streamer to complain, just as I would think it has more impact, due to the financial aspect of the relationship. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Contacted Sirius but they were not very helpful.  Initially blamed it on the Sonos products.  In the end said their technical support would be working to resolve this issue.  I wasn’t confident they believed it was their issue or if there was even an issue.

I’ve had similar experiences with other streamers. It’s always the first line (read: uninformed) response to blame someone else.  If I didn’t know so much about the way that streaming works, they’d be able to fool me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Your point about no financial arrangement between the the two companies hinders them both in situations like this. They both use each other to sell the products but are somewhat hand tied when issues occur. Hopefully they get this fixed. Since I’m not seeing any other post here about I thinking this is regional issue with SiriusXM Canada and I’m the only one posting. On the plus side streaming has been consistent the past few hours. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @DaDD 

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of this issue and are currently investigating it. Unfortunately, we have no ETA for a resolution, and at present, we have no workaround other than to use different sources.

If you can spare the time, we’d appreciate you getting in touch with our technical support team, who will take some details from you and incorporate them into our investigations. Thank you.

Any update on this issue?  It clears up for hours sometimes then right back to dropping with all the varied error messages. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DaDD 

No update as of yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @DaDD 

No update as of yet.

That’s really unfortunate.  I’ve never had issues like this for this long in all my years of using Sonos and Sirius.  On thing I’ve noticed is that the issue (dropping and error messages) is most prevalent in the morning hours 6:00AM to 12:00PM and then it’s ok for the most of the day.

Happening now.  Diagnostic 141987739

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The issue is ongoing making the Sonos speakers and the Sirius account almost useless after years of stability.  The past week the issue has been constant in the morning hours 6-12 and then stable all afternoon.  Today it was the reverse???  Spent 1 ½ hours today talking to Sonos support.  He tried a number of things, including removing/adding the Sirius account, rebooting the speakers, rebooting the network and updating the app to the version that arrived today 14.4.  I submitted 6-8 diagnostics while on the phone while the problem occurred and when it wasn’t.  All he could see was that the Sirius side would reject the connection sporadically.  He could only tell me to wait for someone to correct it.  This has got to be fixed.  

So, if the Sirius side is rejecting the connection, perhaps the issue isn’t with Sonos at all, but instead with Sirius, and the server they use to give the stream to Sonos to play? Sonos certainly doesn’t have any control over the stream, until it reaches your speaker. While they wrote a single API that all streaming suppliers use, the streamer is the one who has to put that API on the streaming service’s server, not a Sonos server. 

Have you sent your concerns to SiriusXM?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The issue is with both, since Sonos is offering to connect to your music service via their app to listen on their speakers.  The problem is not with the Sonos hardware.  The app is not likely but not ruled out, as an update might be required to fix this according to the tech I spoke with.  The issue is almost most certainly with the Sirius servers.  In spite of that Sonos has an obligation to make it work.  And that’s what they are trying to rectify.  I’ve talked with Sirius.  They were reluctant to acknowledge there was an issue, but eventually did after blaming Sonos for the problem.  Tech support is far less helpful than Sonos.  This is a sporadic issue affecting a small number users but has been around longer than the two weeks I’ve been dealing with it.