Answered

S2 app repeatedly trying to update S1 speakers

• 21 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a long established S1 operated set of speakers. All are S2 compatible except for a Play 5, so I have kept everything at S1. All good so far.

I recently purchased a Roam SL, on the understanding that I could set up a parallel system with the Roam SL as an S2 speaker controlled by S2 app, and everything else as S1.

However, the reality is that if any S1 speaker is switched on, I get the upgrade dialog in S2 and an "Upgrade now" button and a 'more information' button. I cannot continue to use the S2 app with the Roam SL unless I upgrade other speakers.

I would like a way around this as I'm not in the market to spend more on replacing a fully functioning speaker.

Also, the narrative on which I made my decision to purchase was based on information provided that said the two systems could co-exist. Nowhere did I read that only one system could be operational at a time.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 December 2022, 13:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NeilWalker 

Thanks for your post!

First, you absolutely can use S1 and S2 independently on one WiFi network and one Sonos account. I can see that your Roam is on a separate HouseHold (Sonos system) from your S1 system, so you shouldn’t be getting those prompts.

Please try these steps:

• Turn off (unplug) all Sonos S1 devices
  • Reset the Roam SL - Reset your Sonos product
  • Reset the S2 app - Reset the Sonos app
  • Restart the S2 app, opt to Setup a New System, and sign in with your existing Sonos account
  • add the Roam SL which will be detected automatically
  • Allow any updates to happen, and add your voice & music service(s)
  • Plug your S1 device into power

You can now use the S1 app as before, and the S2 app for your Roam SL.

If you’re unable to perform any step and get stuck, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will guide you through a resolution. I recommend a call rather than a chat.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NeilWalker 

I should add that if your S1 app ever tries to connect to your new S2 system, please in this case click More Options then Ignore System. It shouldn’t do so again unless the app is reset.

Badge +1

Thank you. I'll try that. 

It does rather beg the question why this should be necessary with a brand new speaker and a new installation of the S2 app.

I think the whole UX of the setup/install/ update process needs to be looked at. Simple things like the instructions to get the Roam into Bluetooth pairing mode. "Press and hold the power button" does not put it into pairing mode, but pressing the power button for 2 seconds and releasing it does. This last instruction was found by browsing support articles (and ultimately ignoring the setup instructions with the product).

Badge +1

Dear Corry,

Thank you. I appear to have solved the problem with your help. In fact, I took it in stages. I reset the S2 app ONLY and set up a new system. That found the Roam straight away. I then switched on an S1 speaker and managed to control both S1 and S2 speakers separately. 

Thank you again for your help.

Neik

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NeilWalker 

It does rather beg the question why this should be necessary with a brand new speaker and a new installation of the S2 app.

If the S2 app can’t detect an S1 system, there would be no way to upgrade an S1 system to S2. We appreciate your feedback, however - perhaps the initial options could be changed or reworded.

I think the whole UX of the setup/install/ update process needs to be looked at. Simple things like the instructions to get the Roam into Bluetooth pairing mode. "Press and hold the power button" does not put it into pairing mode, but pressing the power button for 2 seconds and releasing it does. This last instruction was found by browsing support articles (and ultimately ignoring the setup instructions with the product).

Again, thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve usability and stability, as well as adding features - you may well see some changes soon.

Our instruction pages are on our website: Pair Sonos Roam with Bluetooth is the related help page, and the instructions are fairly clear. Where did you get the less precise instructions? I can easily feed this back to the relevant team for consideration.

I’m glad to hear that you have managed to sort everything out - happy listening!

And, you are very welcome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I set up a new account for my Daughters Play:1 on S2, just so there was no way of her accidently upgrading our whole house S1 system.