Your thoughts on the new S2 app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

@craigski, iTunes Match is not supported, you’d need an Apple Music subscription; it’s worth the money, in my opinion.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@craigski, iTunes Match is not supported, you’d need an Apple Music subscription; it’s worth the money, in my opinion.

Thanks for confirming my understanding, I (wrongly) got excited with Ken’s comments above.

Just subscribe to Apple‘s iTunes Match and you can play your Apple Music Library through the Apple Music service built into the Sonos app. It maybe £/$/€25 per year (annual payment), but it’s a small price to pay to access your iTunes library from virtually any device whilst at home or on the go. I have thousands of ‘ripped’ tracks that are accessible using that method. They’re also playable on any Airplay device too using the Apple Music App.

@Ken_Griffiths  can you do this without an Apple Music Subscription. ie just Apple Match? I’m trying this and when trying to add Apple Music the flow from Sonos S2 app is asking me to subscribe to Apple Music. I get message:

You are not an

Apple Music

Subscriber

But I do have an Apple Match subscription that you describe above.

I have an Apple Music account 

#7.

I literally would not care about the upgrade except for the baby crap brown orange color they chose. Honestly why do companies think that these jarring changes are acceptable? Leave the S1 and S2 icon both black. If you’ve come this far you know exactly what it is you have.

Just subscribe to Apple‘s iTunes Match and you can play your Apple Music Library through the Apple Music service built into the Sonos app. It maybe £/$/€25 per year (annual payment), but it’s a small price to pay to access your iTunes library from virtually any device whilst at home or on the go. I have thousands of ‘ripped’ tracks that are accessible using that method. They’re also playable on any Airplay device too using the Apple Music App.

@Ken_Griffiths  can you do this without an Apple Music Subscription. ie just Apple Match? I’m trying this and when trying to add Apple Music the flow from Sonos S2 app is asking me to subscribe to Apple Music. I get message:

You are not an

Apple Music

Subscriber

But I do have an Apple Match subscription that you describe above.

I don’t know, as I use both of the Apple services and not really tried one without the other (however see below). It seems like it should work reading this article ... https://www.imore.com/itunes-match

You may need to check with Apple Support. In the past when my own subscription to Apple Music has expired and lapsed I’m fairly sure that the iTunes Match service continued in my case and that I still had access on my mobile devices to music that I had uploaded through iTunes on my PC, but can’t say if that is also the case with the service that Apple provide through the Sonos App. 

Just to clarify, I have both an Apple Music (Annual Subscription - £99) and their iTunes Match (Annual subscription £21.99) and currently see all my uploaded music through the Sonos App Apple service, but I’m not sure if one service works without the other.

I do know that the cheap iTunes Match subscription is required to see your own uploaded music on other devices, but you may need to check with Apple to see if it works without the Apple Music service, although as I mentioned earlier, I’m sure in the past that when I’ve let my Apple Music subscription lapse, that I’ve still had access to my uploaded music on my devices in the past, but that was a few years ago, so not sure what the position is these days.

One would think it might be a simple coding problem to not separate the old hardware users on a separate app. The app could recognize the old equipment and apply different rules to it.

But it seems Sonos is intent on forcing a lesser experience on the legacy owners, plenty of whom own multiple units new & old, and notably who helped build this company up by their enthusiasm over the years.

Fully agree with remark about legacy owners. I shall shun Sonos products from now on.