Your thoughts on the new S2 app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 1

I think I may need to retract my final point around the app icon. I can perhaps see why you chose such an unusual app colour choice. It stands out so much on the users home screen, almost like its out of place which I suppose is actually a good thing from a marketing perspective as it draws your eyes straight to it and your brand is presented loud and clear to the user! I take it back and give you a big 🙌🏻for this design choice.....either that or you know some inside info on the upcoming universal iOS/Android design language changes for the future, perhaps we’re moving away from the flat brightly coloured era! 😂

Anyway, give us dark mode and better Alexa integration as well as perhaps a quick meeting with Spotify to iron out the small browsing restrictions and I recon you will get a 10/10 from the majority of your community. 

Keep up the good work Sonos!

The right hand line of letters on Albums is not responding. I can only view those under A and B

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just subscribe to Apple‘s iTunes Match and you can play your Apple Music Library through the Apple Music service built into the Sonos app. It maybe £/$/€25 per year (annual payment), but it’s a small price to pay to access your iTunes library from virtually any device whilst at home or on the go. I have thousands of ‘ripped’ tracks that are accessible using that method. They’re also playable on any Airplay device too using the Apple Music App.

@Ken_Griffiths  can you do this without an Apple Music Subscription. ie just Apple Match? I’m trying this and when trying to add Apple Music the flow from Sonos S2 app is asking me to subscribe to Apple Music. I get message:

You are not an

Apple Music

Subscriber

But I do have an Apple Match subscription that you describe above.

Userlevel 1

I can forgive them using the colour of steatorrhoea (unfortunate) for the icon, they just need to sort out the iPad app so the album art isn’t 2/3rd its size on the previous version…

Interesting…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@craigski, iTunes Match is not supported, you’d need an Apple Music subscription; it’s worth the money, in my opinion.

Thanks for confirming my understanding, I (wrongly) got excited with Ken’s comments above.

Just subscribe to Apple‘s iTunes Match and you can play your Apple Music Library through the Apple Music service built into the Sonos app. It maybe £/$/€25 per year (annual payment), but it’s a small price to pay to access your iTunes library from virtually any device whilst at home or on the go. I have thousands of ‘ripped’ tracks that are accessible using that method. They’re also playable on any Airplay device too using the Apple Music App.

@Ken_Griffiths  can you do this without an Apple Music Subscription. ie just Apple Match? I’m trying this and when trying to add Apple Music the flow from Sonos S2 app is asking me to subscribe to Apple Music. I get message:

You are not an

Apple Music

Subscriber

But I do have an Apple Match subscription that you describe above.

I have an Apple Music account 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Underwhelming.

The app has actually lost functionality. Streaming Deezer, I could go to the menu of a song or album, then a further menu, then explore the artist. Not now. The second menu has gone.

It still uses a grid to display albums. Why not have the option of stacking vertically? Sooo much scrolling required when compared to other apps.

Album artwork still take a second or so to render. Annoying - still / again.

LastFM scrobbles are duplicated now, with the name of the speaker prefixed to the artist name on one of the scrobbles.

Also now, whenever I play a new album I have to choose which room to hear it in? It doesn’t default to the last played any more.

Never really been a fan of the Sonos app, but the new one has not really improved on much.

Contrary to others, I do think it looks a little bit nicer than the S1. But all subjective. Really, we just want it to function well.