Your thoughts on the new S2 app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Underwhelming.

Also now, whenever I play a new album I have to choose which room to hear it in? It doesn’t default to the last played any more.

Regarding this - try to disable the App setting “Confirm location”

That should fix this issue.
​​​​​

Unfortunately, Sonos has to rely on the data that is given them by the folks at Audible. Sonos has not access to the code running on the Audible servers. So if Audible chooses not to integrate the full API that Sonos has written for the purpose, there really isn’t much Sonos can do about it, other than be petulant and remove Audible from the Sonos experience. 

The S2 app works exactly as it used in older versions to for my large Audible Book Collection, in other words, I still cannot sort or search the collection - fairly useless if the collection is more than a hundred books - it takes several minutes to scroll manually down the book list to try to find a book.  The book is still presented in an unsorted and ungrouped list/layout of book covers. 

This issue is totally with the Audible implementation, sorting of other large lists and collections works fine.

I have provided a diagnostic number for support - I am not confident it will ever get fixed.  The folks at Audible just refer me to the Apple Audible App - which works well enough for most purposes.  But the Sonos is claimed to support Audible books - it does not to any useful extent in large book colllections.  My previous five (5) submission did not generate a single response.

Other than this - the sole reason I bought Sonos a couple of years back - S2 works.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Underwhelming.

The app has actually lost functionality. Streaming Deezer, I could go to the menu of a song or album, then a further menu, then explore the artist. Not now. The second menu has gone.

It still uses a grid to display albums. Why not have the option of stacking vertically? Sooo much scrolling required when compared to other apps.

Album artwork still take a second or so to render. Annoying - still / again.

LastFM scrobbles are duplicated now, with the name of the speaker prefixed to the artist name on one of the scrobbles.

Also now, whenever I play a new album I have to choose which room to hear it in? It doesn’t default to the last played any more.

Never really been a fan of the Sonos app, but the new one has not really improved on much.

Contrary to others, I do think it looks a little bit nicer than the S1. But all subjective. Really, we just want it to function well.

Userlevel 1

I can forgive them using the colour of steatorrhoea (unfortunate) for the icon, they just need to sort out the iPad app so the album art isn’t 2/3rd its size on the previous version…

Interesting…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I can forgive them using the colour of steatorrhoea (unfortunate) for the icon, they just need to sort out the iPad app so the album art isn’t 2/3rd its size on the previous version…

Userlevel 1

I think I may need to retract my final point around the app icon. I can perhaps see why you chose such an unusual app colour choice. It stands out so much on the users home screen, almost like its out of place which I suppose is actually a good thing from a marketing perspective as it draws your eyes straight to it and your brand is presented loud and clear to the user! I take it back and give you a big 🙌🏻for this design choice.....either that or you know some inside info on the upcoming universal iOS/Android design language changes for the future, perhaps we’re moving away from the flat brightly coloured era! 😂

Anyway, give us dark mode and better Alexa integration as well as perhaps a quick meeting with Spotify to iron out the small browsing restrictions and I recon you will get a 10/10 from the majority of your community. 

Keep up the good work Sonos!